PDA

View Full Version : JetBlue t5 on Discovery channel

bluejuice
2006-10-25, 01:16 AM
Check out Discovery channel tonight Wed Oct 25. The show Extreme engineering will present a special on our new T5 project. Its on at 8 PM . I am surprised havnt seen anythiong on this in the JB intranet yet......And PS there is a flight leaving JFK for SWF tomorrow AM.. MMM wonder what that is about??? As if I didnt know :D :D

T-Bird76
2006-10-26, 10:49 AM
Bluejuice do you know what the plan is with the TWA terminal? I know that Jetblue said they are keeping the TWA signs up but what are they going to do with it? Is it just going to be a show piece of the past or will it turn into something like a museum?

Alex T
2006-10-26, 11:51 AM
The TWA terminal will be used as an entrance to the new terminal B6 is setting up.

B6 wants to use the TWA terminal as a way to introduce the golden age of flying back in the 50's and 60's again. Sounds like a nice idea, lets see if it works.

Alex

hiss srq
2006-10-26, 12:06 PM
Now to top it off why not take a few 727's dab them up in those glorious TWA colors from the 80's maybe a DC-9 or two and stick them on out of use gates (dreams dreams dreams)

Alex T
2006-10-26, 12:18 PM
Now to top it off why not take a few 727's dab them up in those glorious TWA colors from the 80's maybe a DC-9 or two and stick them on out of use gates (dreams dreams dreams)

Be careful Tom might have a wet dream from that thought!! :shock:

Jonesbeach
2006-10-26, 01:03 PM
Did anyone else think that the documentary was overly dramatic? It was cool seeing guys I worked with at AA on TV, but like most media, it was a lot of fluff.

As far as the old TWA terminal goes, I don't think it is a major part of jetBlue's plan. I'm pretty sure that's because the design of the old terminal can't handle the same number of passengers that jetBlue anticipates handling. If you look at the renderings, the arrivals roadway goes between the terminals. To me, that means you can go in the old terminal if you want, but we won't force you to arrive through it. Some one said they are just using it for restaurant and concession type stuff, but no real passenger services will be in it.

hiss srq
2006-10-26, 01:12 PM
I would not mind going to JFK just for some grub they should turn the entire thing into a museum/food court and people would be able to go all the way to the former gate areas to watch planes etc but than again it has been somthing like 10 years or a little less since I flew from that terminal so I do not remeber how good views were

Jonesbeach
2006-10-26, 01:17 PM
There isn't really any view of the tarmac from the old terminal. The new terminal is completely blocking the rear.

http://www.newyorkology.com/archives/images/jetblue.terminalplan.jpg

T-Bird76
2006-10-26, 01:18 PM
I would not mind going to JFK just for some grub they should turn the entire thing into a museum/food court and people would be able to go all the way to the former gate areas to watch planes etc but than again it has been somthing like 10 years or a little less since I flew from that terminal so I do not remeber how good views were

The view was pretty decent, as you acceded up the stairs towards the tubes the 747s would come into view. Once the new T5 is up you'll have no view at all. However the chance to sit back and enjoy a drink and food in what is such a historic place is a chance I can't wait for.

T4 has some good places to eat and drink on the public side of the terminal and the parking garage provides some good viewing. Mario and I were there this weekend and we took some shots while security drove by and no one said boo. We grabbed some food after in T4 and a nice experience.

mirrodie
2006-10-26, 01:38 PM
Did anyone else think that the documentary was overly dramatic?

Steve, I meant to ask you about that. Only saw the first 15 mins and lost interest as they started talking about sewage and asbestos being dug up and seeping up.

I figured you'd be the guy to realistically discuss the ramifications. The show may have inflated it a bit, like one construction worker being all dramatic(im in front of the camera syndrome perhaps)?

Was nice to hear the perspective of that steel worker who worked all over Manhattan and stated that once you are up a few floors off the ground, it really didnt make a difference how high up they were. I appreciated his perspective.

And thanks for the picture Steve. I was trying ot explain to Tom what it might look like.

One thing I didnt get with the show was they stated that a lot of checkin would be with Kiosks, a whole lot of kiosks...but they neglected to say if it would be in the old Terminal or not. SO that looks like a no.

I do like how they emphasized that the TWA building is a landmank and had to be preserved.

BTW is it on the National Register of Historic Places? And doesnt have a name? Wings or something to that end?

Lastly, how old is the TWA bldg, compared to the JFK stained glass terminal?

bluejuice
2006-10-26, 04:26 PM
With everybody talking about T5 I have some pictures I took on the day we announced the T5 expansion from inside the terminal with views out the windows. I guess I knew at that time the view wasnt going to last as you would soon see another bldg out those large windows. I believe the terminal was constructed in 1962... Also The stained glass terminal you are refering to is American airlines T9.. its unfortunate but the stained glass is soon to become keychains.

Jonesbeach
2006-10-26, 04:32 PM
Actually, the stained glass probably won't become key chains. In order to give them out, they would need to abate the lead that was used to make it. The key chain idea is becoming as expensive as saving the window itself. It is looking more and more like they are just going to demo it and call it a day.

hiss srq
2006-10-26, 04:34 PM
Yeah that is a total shame but that is the nature of AA's management to give the shaft to stuff. Oh well

T-Bird76
2006-10-26, 04:35 PM
Actually, the stained glass probably won't become key chains. In order to give them out, they would need to abate the lead that was used to make it. The key chain idea is becoming as expensive as saving the window itself. It is looking more and more like they are just going to demo it and call it a day.

I'm not sure what is worse just putting it in a landfill or the key chain. Well in any event let it RIP.

mirrodie
2006-10-26, 06:18 PM
I guess what I am asking is how old is the TWA terminal, obviously old enough to be saved. ANy thoughts as to why the same is not being done for the AA stained glass facade? I would have though it had similar historical significance as the AA bldg.

hiss srq
2006-10-26, 06:29 PM
I beleive the year it was opened was 1962 (TWA) and it is hitorical in the sense of it arcitecural beauty etc... that is the big reason plus it is sort of an icon of the jetera of the 60's

mirrodie
2006-10-26, 06:51 PM
I just did a bit of reseach and found that the AA terminal may date back to 1960? Geez you'd think they'd keep it aorund for historical reference!

Jonesbeach
2006-10-26, 07:51 PM
The AA stained glass is not a prime example of the architecture of the day, whereas the TWA terminal is. As a result, the terminal got historical status, while the stained glass got noted as the largest stained glass in the world.

bluejuice
2006-10-27, 12:55 AM
The building is called"the sarian building" and it is a nyc landmark. Thats why we couldnt touch it. When it opens there is talk of T-6 being demolished. Weather that is true or not remains to be seen. Our main enterance will be thru the new terminal as the roadway divides the old and new T-5. The TWA building will remain tagged as such and as a finishing touch one of the original TWA gates will be somehow attached on to the end of out new T5. You can see it sitting out there on its original foundation between T5 and T4. Below is a picture taken out of the window of T 5 of an arrival on 22-L
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k312/shepmp/PC070024.jpg

bluejuice
2006-10-27, 01:40 AM
OK i changed around photobucket after I posted the picture so here it is of the view out of T 5 overlooking the ramp and active 22-L

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k312/shepmp/TWA%20jetblue%20at%20JFK/PC070030.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k312/shepmp/TWA%20jetblue%20at%20JFK/PC070024.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k312/shepmp/TWA%20jetblue%20at%20JFK/PC070026.jpg