PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for a good series Mets

MarkLawrence
2006-10-19, 11:45 PM
but....

GO CARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

PhilDernerJr
2006-10-19, 11:47 PM
Wow, you don't waste any time.

I'm plenty pissed. (not at you, about the Mets. lol)

NIKV69
2006-10-19, 11:47 PM
What a wicked curve ball to end it. I am rooting for the Tigers tho.

MarkLawrence
2006-10-19, 11:50 PM
Of course not Phil - think I wasn't watching the game with my laptop ready??... :lol:

mikephotos
2006-10-19, 11:53 PM
Anyone want to buy 4 tix to World Series Game 5 at Shea, cheap, cheap, cheap!! :)

F! F! and a big F! ....but go Cards, beat them Tigers.

http://www.mikephotos.net/forum/wsgame5tix.jpg

Mike

hiss srq
2006-10-19, 11:53 PM
well I am going for the Tigers on this one the F/A I am now talking to is from DET so lets go Tigers. If it is not the yankees it is no one though for me in NY. good game to the mets but the cards just wanted it more

Matt Molnar
2006-10-19, 11:59 PM
What a wicked curve ball to end it. I am rooting for the Tigers tho.

I know that guy's curve is ridiculous but at least swing the ****ing bat with the bases loaded. Much of the respect Beltran regained through his play this season went down the toilet with that at-bat.

I know it's nice to root for the team that beat you so if they win it all you can say "well, at least we lost to the best team." But while I think Detroit-Mets would have been a good series, I think Detroit will make quick work of the Cards.

hiss srq
2006-10-20, 12:05 AM
I think the the Tigers will eat the Cards as well. I commend the mets though Willie really did make the unthinkable of the mets this year they were the hottest team in the game this season but choked. I think that Endy was amazing too this game. WOW is all I have to say about that double play. Next year I cant wait to watch them get belted again though from my happy little perch atop LGA All harassing the die hards aside I did want to see the mets win

MarkLawrence
2006-10-20, 12:06 AM
I know Detroit is a tough team..but..we weren't meant to make the playoff's...we weren't meant to beat San Diego...the Mets were going to sweep us in 4....note to the press - beware the underdog!

mirrodie
2006-10-20, 12:07 AM
I'm hoping the Tigers wipe them quickly as well.

GothamSpotter, really. Explore the space here. I gotta have more cowbell!

Alex T
2006-10-20, 01:56 AM
while im not jumping on the bandwagon here.

i never really was a fan of baseball period, my entire family is for the Cubs providing we live in Illinois. However STL is much closer to us then chicago so i routinely cheer for STL on occasion but I really dont care much for baseball.

with that said it is good to see the cardinals do well and get some good image for St. Louis.

MarkLawerence, im with you on this! ;)

Alex

PhilDernerJr
2006-10-20, 08:11 AM
Mike, in all honesty, would you sell maybe even one of those tickets? Would be a perfect gift for my sister, a die hard Mets fan who is the saddest girl in the world today.

RDU-JFK
2006-10-20, 08:30 AM
I agree that Beltran should have swung at that pitch just to make contact. In anger and frustration I threw my cellphone across the room. Thus I must go to the Verizon store at lunch today. Blah.

Mellyrose
2006-10-20, 09:08 AM
Seriously....he could've swung. A little dramatics at least, please!

But it was a great series. Very exciting. I've NEVER been so into a sporting event in my life. I'm literally sleep deprived from staying up til midnight every night this week, just to watch the games in full.

SCOTYDEMCO
2006-10-20, 10:30 AM
Tigers in 5 maybe 6.

T-Bird76
2006-10-20, 05:40 PM
Sorry but the Mets deserve no amount of thanks! They F$#ked up and aren't worth the time of day.

NIKV69
2006-10-20, 05:45 PM
Seriously....he could've swung. A little dramatics at least, please!

Tough to do on a pitch like that, halfway to the plate it looks likes it going to be eye level for a ball and then it just dives into the strike zone. Basically freezing the hitter. He set up the pitch great too with his heaters. What a game. Very exciting.

hiss srq
2006-10-20, 05:55 PM
Who wants to watch them blow it next year with me from LaGuardia why do we waste our time on that team errrrr.............. They are kind of like what most of the F1 drivers behind the schumachers and montoya are fillers in the leauge (that should fire the mets fans up :lol: )

PhilDernerJr
2006-10-20, 08:47 PM
Sorry but the Mets deserve no amount of thanks! They F$#ked up and aren't worth the time of day.

Little extreme, no?

moose135
2006-10-20, 09:13 PM
Little extreme, no?

I think Tommy is just redirecting his anger and frustration at being stuck in an airport all day waiting on his flight, poor little guy :D

Yes, I'm disappointed, but after 38 seasons as a Met fan, I always have hope for next year. They had a great run this year, and if not for some key injuries down the stretch and into the post-season, I think they end up with the big trophy at the end. Even with the problems they had in this series, they end up one big hit away from the World Series. Can't complain about that.

Ya Gotta Believe!

Mateo
2006-10-22, 11:00 AM
The one thing that killed me is the before the playoffs even started, there was a banner in right field saying "2006 N.L. East Champions," as if that was a limit to the accomplishment. There should be a blank space there, and sometime next April, a curtain is lifted to reveal "2006 World Champions."

As it is, with the win over the Dodgers and the loss to the Cards, the Mets are the, uh, "2006 N.L. East Champions." At least the grounds crew doesn't have to do any more work...

Tom_Turner
2006-10-22, 03:21 PM
The Mets have a good nucleus of talent'; they'll be back, probably stronger this time.

They were/are an exciting team - good enough to have the best record in the league, but even with the talent dilution in MLB, The Mets didn't lead the league in offense, and certainly not in pitching - and the comparisons to the '86 team, which was stacked... were a reach...

Looking forward to next year...

and, oh yeah, Moose - good to know someone else here bleeds Blue and Orange for real... there were some brutal years in there.. I've been following since 1973 :)

Tom

PhilDernerJr
2006-10-22, 03:22 PM
The sad part is that no one expected them to be a pitching powerhouse, especially inthe playoffs. Honestly, they never would have won the World Series without the pitching to beat the American League.

However, you'd expect them to use their offense to overcome teams like theDodgers and the Cards with more ease, if at all.

Tom_Turner
2006-10-22, 03:37 PM
Phil - you nailed it on both counts.

For the offense, really, The Mets are lacking the all purpose hitter they need in the middle of the lineup... its one thing to feed on a diet of mediocre pitching all year, but there is no doubt (to use Mets as examples - Rusty Staub, John Olerud or Keith Hernandez would ever have been owned by the Cardinals' pitching performance - good as it was..)..

I don't expect the Mets to find such a hitter in the off-season, but an upgrade in the starting pitching will probably suffice... Other things to look forward to... No Shawn Green in left, a new 2nd baseman.

One potential problem..Lo Duca was at least one year past the age when catchers' offense will typically break down significantly, so not sure what will happen offensively there next year...

Tom

The sad part is that no one expected them to be a pitching powerhouse, especially inthe playoffs. Honestly, they never would have won the World Series without the pitching to beat the American League.

However, you'd expect them to use their offense to overcome teams like theDodgers and the Cards with more ease, if at all.

Matt Molnar
2006-10-22, 04:27 PM
The series was completely paradoxical. The guys we were afraid of, Carpenter and Pujols, were non-factors. The guys who were hurt and were expected to be non-factors, Rolen and Edmonds, ended up getting some big hits. Their scrubs like Scott Spiezio and Yavier Molina, who combined for like 5 home runs and a .250 average during the regular season, got some giant hits, including the series winner. The Cards pitchers we should have easily destroyed, Weaver, Suppan and Reyes, ended up shutting us down.

What makes the loss so painful is that our weakest link, our starters which we expected to be shaky at best, ended up keeping us in every game. If Oliver Perez had gotten smacked up in Game 7 it would be a lot easier to deal with...our top two starters were hurt, there's nothing we could do. But we were in it until the bottom of the 9th, and just couldn't execute.

For next season we need to get a power hitting outfielder, a new second baseman and at least one elite starting pitcher. I like Cliff Floyd, but he's pretty much done. I used to defend Steve Trachsel but he's definitely gone after the **** he pulled. I don't like Shawn Green so I hope they get rid of him. Everyone else can stay.

lijk604
2006-10-23, 09:52 AM
Gee Gotham, you make it sound so easy. LOL!

I think Green can prosper here, so I wouldnt be in too much of a hurry to move him. Floyd, I agree, his time came and went. Too much of an injury risk.

They do need to address starting pitching, if Pedro keeps breaking down at 200 innings....why have him, if he is no use in the post-season. And can we get a closer that doesnt make the fans sweat every 9th inning?

Geese, Franco did it, Looper, now this year Wagner. As much as I hate to bring the Yankees up, Rivera hass gone years as a get the job done guy. The Mets closers like to make for good tv, and put men in scoring position before ending games.

Matt Molnar
2006-10-23, 11:00 AM
I think Green can prosper here, so I wouldnt be in too much of a hurry to move him.
I don't know, he's just too dull for me and he's crummy defensively. Of the four or five games I went to when he played, I didn't see him get one hit. He's never going to come anywhere near his giant offensive #'s from a few years ago. If anyone is to be suspected of being an ex-juicer, it's his skinny ass. :)

They do need to address starting pitching, if Pedro keeps breaking down at 200 innings....why have him, if he is no use in the post-season.
200? That would be an improvement...he only made it to 132.2 this past season before throwing in the towel...and of those innings he was only good for the first 100 or so.

And can we get a closer that doesnt make the fans sweat every 9th inning? Geese, Franco did it, Looper, now this year Wagner.
You skipped the best of all...Armando Benitez! I don't know what our problem with closers is. We had to pick up Wagner because he was the best guy available, but in reality he was only a slight improvement over Looper, who was a slight improvement over Benitez.

lijk604
2006-10-23, 11:42 AM
I tried to forget the whole Benitez years. Too much heartbreak there.

Tom_Turner
2006-10-23, 12:15 PM
I'm sure Shawn Green can find his stroke at Shea, and I am not concerned he failed in making a spectacular catch going over the fence, but if a guy is going to let short flies drop in front of him routinely, he's going to have to give you 100 rbi and 30 homeruns to make it work.

And, I am afraid Green is not going to give us 100 rbi...

Tom

hiss srq
2006-10-23, 04:20 PM
Green does not seem to be to the standard he used to be if I am not mistaken he has been to a few all star games and he sure didnt putout like an all star during the playoffs during games. I hope he does not perform like that next year or anything or I will put him in my A-rod catagory