PDA

View Full Version : The begining of the end?

cancidas
2006-10-13, 11:30 PM
the FAA has filed a TFR for the NY Bravo exclusion corridor. full text from AOPA below.

AOPA ePilot Special Airspace Bulletin October 13, 2006
-------------------------------------------------------------------

A special notice to pilots in the New York City area

==> ATTENTION PILOTS <==

FAA ESTABLISHES EAST RIVER CORRIDOR FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS
AOPA is sending this message to advise pilots in and near the New
York City area that the FAA has issued a notam restricting certain
flight operations in the East River Class B Exclusion Area. This
comes just days after the tragic accident on October 11 that killed
New York Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle and his flight instructor Tyler
Stanger.

“Considering all of the possible overreactions to the Lidle accident
being demanded by some, the FAA’s safety response is reasonable,”
said AOPA President Phil Boyer. “This provides some breathing room
while the NTSB gathers the facts and arrives at an accident-cause
determination.”

The notam requires all fixed-wing aircraft operating under VFR within
the East River Class B Exclusion Area be authorized and controlled by
air traffic control. Amphibious fixed-wing aircraft landing or
departing New York Skyports Inc. Seaplane Base are excluded from this
requirement. The restriction, which is in effect until further notice,
extends from the southwestern tip of Governors Island to the northern
tip of Roosevelt Island. See AOPA Online for the full text of the
notam ( http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/notams.html#ny ).

Because TFR airspace frequently changes, AOPA strongly encourages
pilots to obtain a briefing and CHECK NOTAMS before every flight.
TFR violators will be intercepted and forced to land.

emshighway
2006-10-14, 02:05 PM
ATCs are already complaining they are forced to take on additional work in an already overwhelmed area.

hiss srq
2006-10-14, 02:15 PM
I doubt this will stay put it would just be rediculous. Maybe remap the airspace for a wider corridor or change altitude restrictions and keep everything at least a few hundred feet above the tallest structures but if they make it a restricted area I doubt it besides ATC folks will fight it it will kill them as far as work loads I would imagine but again I am usually on the other side of the frequency so I would not be the best judge of that.

Matt Molnar
2006-10-14, 03:43 PM
This is absolutely pointless. Realistically, no one who is making a bee-line for a building with an aircraft is going to be intercepted, NOTAM or no NOTAM. There are no more 24/7 air patrols, and even if there were, or if we were to surround Manhattan with anti-aircraft missiles, there is simply not enough time to react. And even then, if you were to shoot something down, it's still going to kill people on the ground. The only solution that would offer any real protection would be to ban all GA traffic from a 20 mile perimeter surrounding Manhatttan, without exceptions for helicopters and seaplanes.

hiss srq
2006-10-14, 03:47 PM
It is unrealistic to ban everything. There might be an altitude restriction for airplanes and such transient through that airspace meaning if your plane is not orionating or terminating its flight at one of the seaplane bases or helipads you remain at or above altitude that is a possibility but Even than that would suck. Nothing drastic will come of this I really doubt it at least

Tom_Turner
2006-10-14, 03:48 PM
Yes, yes and yes....but the crucial question here....

Is Shumer happy and will he get more votes? Thats what matters.... :shock:

This is absolutely pointless. Realistically, no one who is making a bee-line for a building with an aircraft is going to be intercepted, NOTAM or no NOTAM. There are no more 24/7 air patrols, and even if there were, or if we were to surround Manhattan with anti-aircraft missiles, there is simply not enough time to react. And even then, if you were to shoot something down, it's still going to kill people on the ground. The only solution that would offer any real protection would be to ban all GA traffic from a 20 mile perimeter surrounding Manhatttan, without exceptions for helicopters and seaplanes.

Matt Molnar
2006-10-14, 03:49 PM
I know it's impossible, hence it's pointless to ban anything other than for an opportunity for our wonderful leaders like Chuck "E. Cheese" Schumer to go hysterical on TV.

Matt Molnar
2006-10-14, 03:50 PM
Is Shumer happy and will he get more votes? Thats what matters.... :shock:

Nice, we thought of that at almost the same time :)

hiss srq
2006-10-14, 03:55 PM
Schumer.................... (shivers) That guy really needs to give it a rest him and Hillbilly Clinton make me sick this state is the best in the union save for those two whacko's

Matt Molnar
2006-10-16, 11:52 AM
From today's Post (http://www.nypost.com/seven/10162006/news/regionalnews/schumer_calls_for_pilots_e_zpass_in_big_apple_regi onalnews_stephanie_gaskell.htm):

An E-ZPass for pilots?

That's one suggestion Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) made yesterday to help make Manhattan's skies safer.

Dubbed the "Trusted Flyer" program, Schumer said pilots would register their planes with the Federal Aviation Administration and submit to a background check, thus making it easier for them to be identified and cleared to enter local airspace.

This is only slightly smarter than Schumer's plan to paint bar codes on every single slice of meat sold in the U.S.

hiss srq
2006-10-16, 12:05 PM
Ah ha I knew it we have found the devil in Chuck Schumer! God that @$$ is really the most stupid person I know. Painfully so at that.

pgengler
2006-10-16, 02:20 PM
The way I saw the new rule summed up was in this NYT story (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/14/nyregion/14crash.html); they quoted someone from NY TRACON saying "[the rule] placates somebody, but it doesn't change anything." (as in, wouldn't have stopped the crash, and wouldn't stop the same type of crash if someone was intentionally trying).

Second to that is what the mayor had to say: "We have very few accidents for an awful lot of traffic. Every time you have an automobile accident, you're not going to go and close the streets or prohibit people from driving."

RDU-JFK
2006-10-16, 03:14 PM
Schumer thinks he's God's gift to aviation.

hiss srq
2006-10-16, 03:22 PM
does Scmucker overt there even have a PPL etc? He has no idea what he is talking about half the time and pulls terms out of his arse it seems lik to appease the ultra lierals. Create a tax for this tax for that etc.... etc... etc.. but he knows nada truely in regard to aviation

Mateo
2006-10-17, 05:55 PM
Well known saying in DC that the most dangerous place in Washington is between Chuck Schumer and a TV camera. I like the guy, but sometimes he really needs to tone it down. He's not a pilot, but Bloomberg is.

mirrodie
2006-10-17, 06:06 PM
I've always had issues with Schumer. I reminds me of Beavis and Buttheard but I could never quite figure out which one...

Having said that, I really like that Bloomberg is taking a heavy stance and supporting ATC. I heard him say last week that he is fully opposed and went on with the anology that we don't close down whole roadways on the premise of one accident.

Bloomberg, a pilot, I respect his take on it.

Does Schumer even fly?