PDA

View Full Version : Why Flying Is A Gift

hiss srq
2006-10-12, 03:38 PM
I got bored and comtemplative so I wrote this on my myspace blog enjoy folks

To touch the heavens and meet with the face of God is like nothing else. To soar through the heights that many a man before me has yet few men before me have. It is the most peaceful of the peaceful to be perched way above the earth swarming with the activity and events of humans and yet be soo detatched as a human. To look to the horizon where many yet few have looked and to know I have the best job on the planet. There is no other feeling that compares to that of the one I get as I sit looking out my window miles above the planet and knowing I am in control of my destiny. I think of the men and woman before me who could only dream of doing such things and the wild tales of imagination that filled the human mind for centuries and melenniums before me. To be at such peace and rest in a world that is by soo many taken for granted. I almost feel guilty as I sit here in the best office afforded to man and think about it all. The glorious sunrises and sunset, the beautiful clouds, the clear crisp sky around me. We cruise above the towns and cities below where the mumble jumble of regular life continues on and than here in my seat there is peace save for the occasional fellow plane passing by and I think to myself are they thinking the same things I am? The glorious few hours at a time we as pilots are seemingly closed off from the world are some of the best. Sitting up hre my worries dissapear, the carnial cravings of life and stresses of the earthbound dissapear as we climb higher and higher to the heavens for that few hours at a time. Than in almost a moment we are back to Earth on the ground and the craze of life hits me all over again and I yearn to return to the heavens again. I know I am one of the luckiest few people on the planet at these moments because I am a pilot and there is no other job or form of living in the world I would rather have. I do what the few can do and for it I am greatful. I touch the face of God in ways religious leaders wish they could and feel the peace all wish there was. I go after greats starting with the Wright Brothers, Chuck Yeager, Thomas Block, Neil Armstrong and before many others but am at this moment in my life blessed to be one of the few. I love this life even with many long long hours and days far from loved ones, family, freinds, some of life comforts and such. I feel guilty as if to be a pilot is a sin sometimes even but in my heart if it was I would go to hell for being a pilot before anything else. To do this job is like nothing else. The fears and worries that feel as if a block is on my chest stoping the full breath of life lift off me in an instant as I pull my yolk back and suddenly it is as if I can breath fully again and relax. The quiet up here save for the ocassional tick of the trim and the clatter of a lone plane on frequency is amazing. It is like being the lone fish in this vast ocean yet not looking for a freind. There is no need to, God is your freind at this height. In my life freinds have said flying first than everything else and they may be close to on cue with that statement. I lost my first love to aviation, that which I thought was my true number one love, the one thing that could pull me away from flying and make me feel as good and I soon realized this was not true because to love a human is also carnial and when it ended and I thought my world had come to a close I started those CJ-610's up and by 43,000 feet my heart felt at ease again for a few hours. That time has passed and I realized from that experince that she was not my true love but I have another human out there so special that it matches my love for flying.Maybe they are equal maybe flying is more but flying will always be my true love. to be a pilot is to be closet to God and to be closest to God is that which I think we all want and I therefore conclude that to be a pilot is truely the best human status in the world.

Ryan M. Spellman