PDA

View Full Version : Emirates 777-300 JFK pix

SengaB
2006-10-05, 01:17 PM
It appears UAE started with the 777-300 about a week ago.
UAE 777-300 on departure from 31L
Almost no bank and was very high well before the tower.
http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/uae01.jpg

Senga

Futterman
2006-10-05, 01:46 PM
Great shot, Senga! Seems like a few of the ULH flights have been stingy with the banks right after departure, but I'm sure we'll see it sooner or later.

Completely forgot about them switching over. This is just EK203/204, the early morning flight. 201/202, the afternoon flight, is still the A345.

Their third flight later this year (sometime in November, I believe), is through HAM and also a 77W. Can't remember the times, but I remember thinking how we won't be able to photograph it's arrival during the winter, so it's probably in the ballpark of 6pm.

Brian

NIKV69
2006-10-05, 01:55 PM
I was suprised to see her coming in the other morning. Cool bird!
Got this in the queue now.

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ ... fkedit.jpg (http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/a6-ebrjfkedit.jpg)

SengaB
2006-10-05, 04:36 PM
Yea I forgot too Brian, I went for the departure as I found out after the fact.

Nice shot there Nick. I would have liked to have gotten an arrival shot of this one.

Senga

NIKV69
2006-10-05, 04:44 PM
Thanks Senga I didn't know about the 777 and was like wtf? Got lucky had the TAM go by short time later. Nice morning.

Nonstop2AUH
2006-10-05, 05:05 PM
Saw an EK presentation earlier this week, apparently the 777 does not have the elaborate and much-publicized first class private suites as in the A345, but it does have lie-flat beds in business class which the Airbus does not.

Business class is the big moneymaker in this market given the number of Gulf travelers on expat package (I used to be one), hence the focus on this as opposed to first which is very expensive (and apparently seldom full) and economy which is said to be low margin. IIRC in economy EK 777s are 10 across which is one more than most other operators so probably not a great ride in the back...

Also...EK is looking at IAH and LAX as additional US destinations, with a time frame of "2007/2008" as indicated in the powerpoint.

Note that Etihad begins service to neighboring emirate of Abu Dhabi (which is not much of a drive from Dubai) later this month with A345 with a rather unique premium cabin...

hiss srq
2006-10-05, 05:08 PM
Ethiad is going to play heavy competition to EK I think if they are trying to get in on the niche that EK has been working to create being "an airline of the world"

Nonstop2AUH
2006-10-05, 05:19 PM
Just to add, as a former Abu Dhabi resident, I think Etihad (if they are smart) will set modest and attainable objectives for themselves, hopefully not aim as high as EK with the expansion plans. The reason being that while EK benefits enormously from having a hub that is also an insanely popular global tourist destination (along with EK presentation this week there was one on Dubai tourism, there is actually at the moment more demand for hotel rooms than supply), Abu Dhabi serves mainly as a connecting point and as a business destination for people in petrochemical-related industries or who have some business with the UAE federal government which is based there. While a new sort of niche tourism promotion effort is underway in Abu Dhabi and I wish them all the luck in the world, for various cultural, economic and logistical reasons I don't think it can be another Dubai and I don't think they would really even want to be. If you think of Dubai as Manhattan and Abu Dhabi as Washington DC you'll sort of get the picture...

hiss srq
2006-10-05, 05:31 PM
now who wants to take bets on 748i's and t73ers for ek? lol

Iberia A340-600
2006-10-05, 05:40 PM
Nice shots Senga and Nick. I was thinking about the switch this morning actually, I guess it's already been made!

Nonstop2AUH
2006-10-05, 05:43 PM
According to the Khaleej Times (khaleej means "gulf", it is one of the 2 Dubai english language papers), thanks to the A380 delay and some maneuvering by Etihad to get their hands on the flight test aircraft, EY will actually get their small batch of aircraft before EK. Sort of the upstart upstaging their bigger rival up the coast. I suspect contributing factors are a) EY went for the Trents which are further along in testing than the EA engines chosen by EK and b) EY is closely linked to Abu Dhabi government (the way EK used to be in Dubai) and in my experience if Abu Dhabi wants something badly enough they will pay up for it, whereas Emirates today is run more to a global commercial standard typical of other major airlines.

Might be useful here to point out that in addition to EY and EK, other Gulf carriers going after a similar market would be Gulf Air from Bahrain and Qatar Airways. Other than size, the key advantage EK has is that DXB is a truly global destination in itself whereas BAH, DOH, and AUH are essentially niche destinations that on their own probably couldn't support a global airline except as a connecting hub between Europe and South Asia etc....

FlyingColors
2006-10-05, 06:21 PM
Nice shot guys!

727C47
2006-10-06, 12:43 AM
looking fwd to my first EWR overnite this season, when I can rise with the sun,grab a crew car, cross the Holland tunnel, the Brooklyn bridge, and Belt Pkwy it all the way to Howard Beach,and S.Ozone Pk, for some good JFK spotting,God I am such a geek ! great shots Senga, per usual !

SengaB
2006-10-06, 10:31 PM
Thanks,
I'm really looking forward to the next one. Ethiad A340-500. Things are changing so fast its hard to keep up.

Senga

Nonstop2AUH
2006-10-07, 03:39 PM
Great EK pics Senga and I'm sure you'll do your usual excellent job with the Etihad, even if the timings are not ideal for photograpy.

FYI there is an ad for EY in the NYT Sunday travel section, first class cabin shot but nice flat bed and first EY ad I've seen in any US media. It should probably be in the business section given the likely demographics of the JFK-AUH premium cabin passenger but I am not complaining, just good to see them getting the word out....

SengaB
2006-10-08, 10:21 AM
Nonstop,
Yes the Eithad will pose a challenge...It would make it easier if the first arrival is during a different time. This sometimes happens when new airline when the starts. If not it wil be time to pull out the tripod.

Senga

mikephotos
2006-10-08, 05:17 PM
Great shots Senga & Nick. It was nice to see that big thing at JFK, would love to get a nice bank shot at HB.

http://www.mikephotos.net/forum/ekb777.jpg

Mike

SengaB
2006-10-08, 05:37 PM
Nice shot Mike.......my those engines are huge! Yea I didn't get a bank the day I was out there :( He basically pulled a EVA MD-11 departure on me!

Senga

FlyKLM747
2006-10-08, 06:32 PM
It appears UAE started with the 777-300 about a week ago.
UAE 777-300 on departure from 31L
Almost no bank and was very high well before the tower.

Senga

Beautiful air-to-air shot, Senga ? LOL :P !
8) Our buddy Uncle Aubrey is trying so hard to nail this bird since it started showing up and keeps missing out on it and thinking this was the via HAM flight when this flight does not start until the end of this month.... :roll:

Nonstop2AUH
2006-10-10, 04:31 PM
Hey guys...I just found out there's a good chance I'll be flying on this to HAM in a few weeks. I'm not good at writing trip reports and my photography skills are a little out of date but if someone wants to know about it feel free to email me privately.

ps if any of the photogs here can recommend a good, small digital camera for everyday use maybe I'll take one on the trip.

Nonstop2AUH
2006-10-24, 06:11 PM
Looks like I am going Sunday, thanks for the great pics guys, you got me psyched for this. First time on a 77W and first time with EK in almost 10 years.