PDA

View Full Version : Tapes released: BA 747 tried to fly to London on 3 engines

Mellyrose
2006-10-04, 12:22 PM
I searched with all my might for an existing thread with info on this, but couldn't find one. My company has access to QSJ online, so I copy and pasted for everyone to read, but unfortunately, you can not listen to the clips unless you go to the site.

What are your thoughts on the decisions of the pilots in this situation?

Here is the link to the article preview: http://online.wsj.com/google_login.html ... lenews_wsj (http://online.wsj.com/google_login.html?url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com% 2Farticle%2FSB115896261643871721.html%3Fmod%3Dgoog lenews_wsj)

After Engine Blew, Deciding to Fly On 'As Far as We Can'
Pilot-Tower Tapes Flesh Out 747 Incident That Triggered
A Controversy Over Safety
September 23, 2006; Page A1

A few seconds after a fully loaded British Airways 747 took off from Los Angeles on its way to London last year, one of its four engines erupted in a spectacular nighttime burst of flame.

The fire burned out quickly, but the controversy has continued to smolder.

An air-traffic controller watching the runways radioed a warning to British Airways Flight 268 and assumed the plane would quickly turn around. To controllers' surprise, the pilots checked with their company and then flew on, hoping to "get as far as we can," as the captain told the control tower. The jumbo jet ultimately traveled more than 5,000 miles with a dead engine before making an emergency landing in Manchester, England, as the crew worried about running out of fuel.

The Los Angeles air-traffic-control tapes, obtained by The Wall Street Journal under the Freedom of Information Act, show that controllers who saw the fiery engine failure with the jet just 296 feet in the air were immediately concerned about the flight and ready to guide it back to the airport. But the decision to return or keep flying rested with the captain and the airline. Ever since, pilots and aviation regulators have debated the decision of the pilots and British Airways. Their questions: Even if the plane was capable of reaching its destination, and perhaps legal to fly, was it smart to try? And was it safe?

HEAR HOW IT HAPPENED

"It appears you have flames" (0:55)
Windows Media: LISTEN
RealPlayer: LISTEN
"We're just doing the checks" (0:21)
"We are going to consult our company" (0:17)
"Is he going?" "He's going" (2:22)
WALL STREET JOURNAL VIDEO

• Scott McCartney talks about the controversy

The incident also focused renewed attention on an age-old issue in aviation -- safety versus economics. An emergency landing would have required dumping $30,000 of fuel, and the airline might have owed $275,000 in compensation to passengers under European Union rules if the flight was more than five hours late. The British Airways pilots' union questioned whether the EU compensation rules, only days old at the time, pressured airlines into pushing flights into risky situations. And in online discussions, pilots wondered if the three pilots might have been pressured into a risky flight to save the airline money.

British Airways says dollars played no role whatever in the decision to keep flying. It points out that the decision was legal under British regulations. A British inquiry ultimately said "no evidence was found to show that the flight continuation posed a significant increase in risk."

Flight 268 also set off a feud between U.S. and United Kingdom regulators over which nation's rules would apply. The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration, taking a different view of the incident than British regulators, opened its own investigation and then an enforcement action, charging British Airways with flying the jet in an "unairworthy condition." The FAA proposed a $25,000 fine. But last month, the FAA quietly dropped the matter rather than fight in court with British Airways and possibly U.K. regulators as well.

While 747s are certified to fly on three engines, doing so leaves much less room for error. They fly a bit slower and can't reach the highest altitudes, where thin air creates less drag, so fuel use increases by about 8%. The real risk is that if the plane should lose a second engine it would have more difficulty flying, especially if two engines on the same side failed -- leaving the thrust all coming from one angle and forcing extensive rudder use to keep flying straight. The plane would then have to fly even lower. Greater fuel consumption might mean the plane would have difficulty reaching an airport if it was over the ocean.

Flight 268's decision clearly surprised Los Angeles air-traffic controllers. The flight took off at about 9:24 p.m. on Feb. 20, 2005. Trouble was soon visible, as evident in radio discussions of "Speedbird 268 heavy." ("Speedbird" is aviation's call sign for British Airways; 268 was the flight number; "heavy" refers to jumbo jets.)

"Speedbird 268 heavy, it appears you have flames coming out of either your No. 1 or No. 2 engine," the tower controller radioed.

"We're shutting it down," replied the captain, already aware of a problem. British investigators later said passengers heard a bang when the engine failed, and some, like the tower, saw flames.

The tower controller alerted a colleague known as a departure controller, whose job was to take over responsibility for the flight as it left the airport.

"Speedbird 268 has got an engine shutdown. He had flames coming out of it. He's coming to you now. We don't know what he wants to do. We know he wants to come back, probably." The departure controller told the crew to climb to 5,000 feet and advise him of their intentions.

Pilot: "Roger standby. Climb and maintain 5,000. We are able. We will advise. We had a surge on takeoff and we're just doing the checks."

Departure controller: "Speedbird 268 heavy roger. Tower said you had flames coming out of the engine and it was shut down. Is that accurate?"

Pilot: "We haven't shut it down. We've throttled it back and we are doing our checklist."

The departure controller asked for the number of people on board -- standard procedure in an emergency in case there is a crash. It was 351 passengers plus 18 crew members, the pilot reported.

He next told the controller, "We have now shut down the No. 2 engine. We are going to consult our company and see what they require us to do."

After making four more 90-degree turns, and sending a co-pilot back in the cabin to look out the window at the engine, the captain said: "We just decided we want to set off on our flight-plan route and get as far as we can. So we'd like clearance to, ah, continue our flight plan."

The controller gave the captain clearance to a higher altitude. But when he called other controllers to make arrangements down the line on an internal intercom system, surprise was evident.

"Remember that Speedbird I told you about?" the controller asked a colleague.

"Yeah."

"He's engine-out -- No. 2 engine out. He's going to continue to his destination or as far as he can get," the departure controller said.

"OK. I have no flight plan on him." The tapes show the controllers had assumed the pilot wasn't going to London, so they deleted the flight plan from the computer. To reconstruct it, the departure controller called the tower.

"Is he going?" the tower controller who had seen the engine flames asked.

"He's going," was the answer.

"If you would have saw what we saw out the window, you'd be amazed at that," said the tower controller.

As the flight moved east, the departure controller passed the pilot on to another controller. "Thanks for your help. Cheers," the captain said. "Good luck," said the departure controller.

The plane flew across the U.S. at a lower-than-usual 27,000 feet and a speed about 12% slower than normal, according to the British investigation. Hours later, the captain made a final decision about crossing the Atlantic. "Having reached the East Coast of the U.S.A. with no indications of further abnormality and with adequate predicted arrival fuel, the crew decided to continue to the U.K.," said the U.K.'s Air Accident Investigation Branch in a June 2006 report. The AAIB said the casing of a component within the Rolls-Royce engine had worn out, causing a power surge, and high temperatures did severe damage.

Winds were less favorable than anticipated across the Atlantic, causing the jet to burn more fuel than predicted. In addition, the crew became alarmed that they might not be able to access the fuel in one of the four wing tanks. The captain declared an emergency and landed in Manchester. The British investigation later found he would have had enough fuel to make it to London.

After the landing -- uneventful but for fire trucks on hand -- controversy arose among pilots. U.K. and U.S. agencies both opened investigations. Britain's learned that British Airways had flown 747s to distant destinations on three engines 15 times since April 2001.

Indeed, the same plane, with a different No. 2 engine, lost the use of that replacement in flight two weeks later. This time it was at cruising altitude, en route from Singapore to London. Pilots saw an oil-pressure warning light and shut down the engine, flying for 11 more hours safely.

The U.K.'s AAIB polled seven other airlines that fly 747s. It found that two required pilots to land at the nearest suitable airport if an engine failed before the jet reached cruising altitude; one left it up to the captain; one had no policy; and three had policies similar to that of British Airways. The agency described that policy as telling pilots to fly to their destination or another airport served by British Airways "once certain considerations have been satisfied," such as determining the bad engine was stable and the plane was safe.

British Airways says the practice is safe and prevents disruption for passengers. The AAIB agreed, considering the possibility of a second engine failure extremely remote. The AAIB did recommend that the airline review its three-engine 747 policy, as well as its training for pilots in how to manage fuel supplies in a case where an engine is out. Another British agency, the Civil Aviation Authority, which had approved the "engine-out" policy in British Airways' flight manuals, concluded the airline's decision hadn't violated safety regulations.

British Airways and the CAA both argued that the rules the carrier had to meet were Britain's, not those of the U.S. agency that was accusing the carrier of flying an "unairworthy" plane. "There's a slightly gray area," says Sir Roy McNulty, chairman of the CAA. "It's rare for an issue like this to come up. By and large, the FAA and we are perfectly aligned."

British Airways said even if U.S. rules applied, they were ambiguous. The U.S. rules require pilots who lose an engine to land at the nearest suitable airport, but, British Airways noted, they make an exception for four-engine aircraft if the pilot decides flying onward is "just as safe as landing at the nearest suitable airport." The FAA, however, didn't consider flying across the Atlantic with an engine out to be "just as safe."

In the end, the nations avoided a fight over jurisdiction with a compromise. The U.S. acknowledged that international law gave Britain's CAA oversight of British Airways, and the CAA told the U.S. the airline had agreed to change its procedures for when an engine was out, at least while flying in U.S. air space.

British Airways said it hasn't formally changed procedures but has agreed to take into account "issues that arose from this incident" if a 747 engine fails again. "We have always maintained that we operated this aircraft in strict accordance with the CAA's regulations," it said.

Last month, the FAA told British Airways it was dropping the case based on assurances that airline changes will "preclude the type of extended operation that was the subject of this enforcement action." Says the FAA: "Our goal was to get them to change their procedures, and when we found out they were changing in the U.S., we settled the case."

Nonstop2AUH
2006-10-04, 01:25 PM
This was the subject of alot of discussion on a.net, with some very polarized opinion. Quite a few people thought this was a reasonable decision by the pilots based on the technical factors, i.e. the known 3-engine performance of the 744, but as a former frequent BA passenger I'd not be too happy about this if I was sitting in the cabin. It smacks of, for lack of a better word, the arrogance that Brits are sometimes known for and while I am well aware that, as many pointed out, a 744 on 3-engines still has one more than twin, it seems at worst to be somewhat risky to fly pax over the Atlantic in this state and at best not very good customer service/public relations. I doubt a US carrier would have attempted something like this....

mirrodie
2006-10-04, 03:47 PM
As I read the article above, the major thought on my mind was this: Im a layman, and what right do I really have to say what was the right or wrong thing to do. I really don't have the enignieering or aeronautical background to give the best answer.

having said that, here is the only red flag.... "considering the possibility of a second engine failure extremely remote."

The possibilities are endless. I enjoy watching a TV show called Seconds from Disaster. It highlights mostly transportation accidents that have occurred over the years. Many of you I am sure are familiar with it. I think its on the National Geographic Network.

Its done the Concorde Crash, AA 191, the jet that crashed into the Potomac (air Florida?), the GErman Ice Train crash, the Air Alaska crash(that one was extremely painful to watch) and dozens of others.

But the one key element I have learned in watching these is this:

Extremely remote possibilities are usually what fate preys on. Most of these incidents tapped into the potential of remote possibilities with an end means of disasterous consequences. So was what they did right or unethical? The answer is both. The pax and plane arrived safely. job well done. What's more, even the airlines polled have different policies, which shows that there is no RIGHT way.

having said that, everyone is in business to provide a service in the cheapest and simplest way possible. And yes, pilots and pax alike are pawns.

What's everyone else think?

T-Bird76
2006-10-04, 03:55 PM
If the pilots and BA felt it was safe then I'd be fine with it. The plane is flying on three engines and can fly on two if need be, one in the worst case scenario. I don't see where the passengers were put at risk at all.

NcSchu
2006-10-04, 04:02 PM
I love how I go to the article, and see a BA Club World advertisement next to it. A bit ironic, don't you think?

PhilDernerJr
2006-10-04, 04:05 PM
This sentence from the article...

The U.S. acknowledged that international law gave Britain's CAA oversight of British Airways, and the CAA told the U.S. the airline had agreed to change its procedures for when an engine was out, at least while flying in U.S. air space.

...sums it up. Let BA do what they want, but when in our airspace, you land it as we desire.

This incident drew way more attention and controversy than was necessary.

Nonstop2AUH
2006-10-04, 04:31 PM
Considering that what they did was reasonable from an engineering standpoint, I would say it would be acceptable for a cargo flight to do something like this. I would even say it would be acceptable for this flight to continue on 3 engines if the engine went out when already in the cruise.

But BA is not just an operator of aircraft, it is customer service business in the travel industry and I'd like to know what the people onboard that flight (who certainly didn't get a 25% refund for flying an aircraft with 25% of its power inop from virtually time of departure) would have to say, especially considering that they ended up inconvenienced anyway by landing at MAN instead of LHR.

As a customer, i.e. the person who is ultimately paying those pilots' salaries, I would have preferred a return to LAX and I am sure most pax, at least the US ones, would have preferred this as well. I wonder if these pilots were trying to make some sort of point about 4-engine aircraft as BA is planning to move to a 777-based longhaul fleet over the next decade or so. Anyway, there is a difference between what is technically possible and what makes sense in terms of customer service.

mirrodie
2006-10-04, 05:10 PM
(who certainly didn't get a 25% refund for flying an aircraft with 25% of its power inop from virtually time of departure)

I seriously doubt that. That the condition of carriage makes available a %-age refund based on percentage thrust? You got to be kidding. Im no engineer but I highly doubt you can make a direct correlation to 1 engine down=25% less power. That assumes you are at full power, up to the chocks, all the time. In fact, having just perused the post again, it flew 12% slower and with 8% more fuel burn.

I wonder if these pilots were trying to make some sort of point about 4-engine aircraft

The pilots? No. They contacted their employer as to what to do.

T-Bird76
2006-10-04, 05:12 PM
(who certainly didn't get a 25% refund for flying an aircraft with 25% of its power inop from virtually time of departure)

I seriously doubt that. That the condition of carriage makes available a %-age refund based on percentage thrust? You got to be kidding. Im no engineer but I highly doubt you can make a direct correlation to 1 engine down=25% less power. That assumes you are at full power, up to the chocks, all the time. In fact, having just perused the post again, it flew 12% slower and with 8% more fuel burn.

I wonder if these pilots were trying to make some sort of point about 4-engine aircraft

The pilots? No. They contacted their employer as to what to do.

I think he was being sarcastic...

LGA777
2006-10-04, 06:19 PM
Id like to share a story a good friend and I experienced on a BA 747-136 back in I believe 1990. We had spent hours at JFK trying to get to LHR on free non-rev passes getting bumped on everything. About 1930 the 80 or so non-revs where herded into a discreet area and given (at the time) good news. There was a 741 at JFK that was to ferry to LHR that night. They had many flights taking oversales at IAD/BOS/BWI/ATL/PHL/EWR etc so BA decided to run the flight as a live extra-section instead departing around 2330 and all non-revs would make it with no problem. Passengers from the other cities where sent to JFK via ground or other carriers and when we finally departed there around 250 of us onboard. We where not upgraded but got seats (Y) in the upper deck. A few hours before landing a Flight attendant befriended us and moved us downstairs to J, we at least got a biz-class breakfast. But as we where talking to him, still in darkness over the Atlantic he told me the scariest thing I ever heard while on an airplane. I complimented BA to him on doing the Extra-Section and he said want to hear a funny story? The old 747-136 (A/C NJ) had been in a Hangar at JFK for routine but unscheduled Maintenance. During same the aircraft fell of the jacks and punctured a decent size hold in the belly near the main-gear. The hole was patched prior to ferry back to LHR for major repairs. But guess what, extra-section instead. Needless to say the next few hours where a little un-easy to say the least. Without that Extra-Section we may have cancelled our trip but still wow ! BTW what a trip. JFK-LHR-MAN-ABZ-EDI-LHR-ZRH-GVA-LHR-JFK. All legs on BA 747,734,734,ATP,757,320,757,747 except for ZRH-GVA SR MD11.

Thanks sorta BA

LGA777

hiss srq
2006-10-04, 07:07 PM
Hey they could shut one more down and go ETOPS! :lol:

Nonstop2AUH
2006-10-04, 11:14 PM
I was being sarcastic about the refund, but not about the pilots wanting to make a point. As was discussed to death at a.net when this happened, if it was a twin the situation would have necessitated a return to the airport. With longhaul operators (including BA) increasingly moving to ETOPS maybe the crew was trying to demonstrate a little-recognized benefit of, as VS says, "4 engines 4 long distance." I know the 74 can fly safely on 3 engines, 2 engines, maybe even one engine, but I also know that a 707 once did a barrel roll over downtown Seattle - just because you CAN do something with an aircraft doesn't mean you SHOULD with a load of paying passengers onboard!