PDA

View Full Version : Is the goverment in Brazil out of their minds?

hiss srq
2006-10-02, 01:41 AM
So the Embraer crew is possibly faceing neglegent homoside charges because of the collison and the smoke from the fire has not even settled yet. That is nuts can anyone else verify this or is this another one of those stupid things that will never happen like the freinch trying to get to Co MX personel for the concorde crash in 2000?

Matt Molnar
2006-10-02, 01:47 AM
An article from a Brazilian source which I read translated on a.net said the pilot of the Embraer had admitted climbing to the same altitude as the 737, without asking permission from ATC AND turning off his transponder. If this is true, it sounds like 155 counts of negligent homicide to me.

hiss srq
2006-10-02, 02:37 AM
That would make sense yes and I am sure I have an idea exactly why he did it too if that is the case because I think most pilots would figure something along the lines of over the rain forest no traffic so he thought lests play with this thing a bit. Again that is assumption but it is the only thing I can realisticly come to the conclusion of happening. Let that be a lesson I guess.

Midnight Mike
2006-10-02, 07:01 AM
So the Embraer crew is possibly faceing neglegent homoside charges because of the collison and the smoke from the fire has not even settled yet. That is nuts can anyone else verify this or is this another one of those stupid things that will never happen like the freinch trying to get to Co MX personel for the concorde crash in 2000?

They will go through the formallity of an investigation, breaking altitude is a serious offense in this country as well.

hiss srq
2006-10-02, 08:34 AM
I am well aware. It happens from time to time you wana play with the plane a little bit so you climb or descend to do things but still not excuseable.

USAF Pilot 07
2006-10-02, 09:00 AM
I am well aware. It happens from time to time you wana play with the plane a little bit so you climb or descend to do things but still not excuseable.

And you request an altitude block from ATC before doing so in this country, as you should in most modern countries. Turning off your transponder and playing around with your plane, at 30,000' is completely unacceptable, unless you've already cleared it with ATC or are in an uncontrolled, isolated area...

Art at ISP
2006-10-02, 10:34 AM
The more pressing question is why the Embraer pilot would EVER turn off the transponder--unless he was up to no good in the first place?

hiss srq
2006-10-02, 10:37 AM
I agree that is what I am trying to figure out and the only logical conclusion I can come to is that he wanted to stretch the jungle jets legs out a little bit and it came back to bite him majorly. Besides the laws broken it is dangerous I agree there and well let us hope that it is not as bad as it seems as far at the EMB crew goes but if it is they made the bed I guess.

Nonstop2AUH
2006-10-02, 02:02 PM
While I feel awful because the Legacy crew is from our area, and I think some on this board may even know them, if they did what they apparently did it's egregiously careless. Imagine if you will what would happen here if a foreign bizjet crew decided to have some fun over, say, the Grand Canyon or the Everglades and took down a US airliner. The Brazilians certainly have the right to be outraged if the Legacy wasn't where it was supposed to be for any reason other than a technical or ATC fault.

emshighway
2006-10-02, 05:00 PM
Are we sure it is an Excel Air Crew from ISP?

Nonstop2AUH
2006-10-02, 05:15 PM
They are very sure, as reported by the Brazilian media the names of all persons aboard 600XL are listed on the 2nd or 3rd a.net thread about this, and include pilots and execs from ExcelAire that are named on their own website. I will not repeat the names here but you can see for yourself. The question is who was at the controls of 600XL at time of incident, i.e. was it an ExcelAire pilot or one of the Embraer pilots who were apparently along for the ride. I would expect the Embraer people to be familiar with the airspace and procedures over the Amazon if the Excel crew wasn't necessarily.