PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get from ESB to WTC

dlx737200
2006-09-29, 08:20 PM
Hey everyone. I'm taking my dad to Manhattan for his birthday for one day. He hasn't been in 20 years and I've only been twice. I'm trying to decide what is the best way to get from the Empire State Building down to the World Trade Center. Up until now I thought of taking the 1 train from 34th St down to Chambers and walking from there. Or is there a better way? Thanks

-Justin

Futterman
2006-09-29, 08:49 PM
You can take the F from 34th and 6th (Herald Square station) down to W4th, then transfer to a downtown E and take that to the end (WTC).

I believe that's the station actually in Ground Zero, so when you get above ground, you're right there.

And if you get lost, you'll end up somewhere...eventually...

Brian

Matt Molnar
2006-09-29, 08:50 PM
A better route would be to take the R or W from 34th-Herald Square to Rector Street. It's a shorter walk from ESB to Herald Sq, and also a shorter walk from the Rector St station to Ground Zero.

Mellyrose
2006-09-29, 08:52 PM
If you don't mind walking, just take the 6 train from 33rd and Park down to Fulton Street. Sometimes on weekends the last stop is City Hall but that's still not a bad walk.

The 6 is barely 3 blocks from the Empire State.

Mellyrose
2006-09-29, 08:52 PM
Wow...we were all just typing that out at the same time, and all gave him different routes. lol

dlx737200
2006-09-29, 08:56 PM
Wow...we were all just typing that out at the same time, and all gave him different routes. lol

Shows how flexible NYC's public transportation system is! I think I'm gonna go with Futt's way. But thanks for everyone's response, and in such a timely manner.

-Justin

Futterman
2006-09-29, 08:58 PM
A better route would be to take the R or W from 34th-Herald Square to Rector Street. It's a shorter walk from ESB to Herald Sq, and also a shorter walk from the Rector St station to Ground Zero.

If you don't mind walking, just take the 6 train from 33rd and Park down to Fulton Street. Sometimes on weekends the last stop is City Hall but that's still not a bad walk.

The 6 is barely 3 blocks from the Empire State.

Nuh-uh. The BEST route is to take the uptown F from 34th-Herald Square to Briarwood/Van Wyck Blvd, then a Jamaica-bound E to Parsons/Archer, followed by a Manhattan-bound J or Z down to Fulton St. with a transfer to an uptown E all the way up to Canal Street...then it's just one stop on the downtown E and you're at the WTC. Easy! :)

Brian

emshighway
2006-09-29, 09:04 PM
Take a cab, a more scenic view.

dlx737200
2006-09-29, 09:07 PM

A more costly way. We're going to be buying day passes for the subway/bus so there is little point in wasting more money and more time by taking a cab. Thanks for everyone's help

Futterman
2006-09-29, 09:07 PM

I don't really encourage tourists to do this (at least not as their only means of getting around). Yes, the "yellow cabs" are somewhat local celebrities to out-of-towners, but there's a real experience to be had by just riding the subway. You can take a taxi anywhere, but the F train only runs in New York City.

Besides, it's cheaper. And usually faster, too.

Brian

emshighway
2006-09-29, 09:28 PM
It was a joke!!! With some of the freaks on the train it will probably be a better view anyway.

emshighway
2006-09-29, 09:31 PM
Tomorrow 9/30 is the

The 5th Annual
WE REMEMBER WALK

Assemble at Battery Park near WTC Sphere (at northeast corner) at 1:00 pm

WALK begins at 2pm to World Trade Center site (Church & Fulton)