PDA

View Full Version : dating an FA is a dream

mirrodie
2006-09-27, 02:09 PM
from: http://msn.match.com/msn/article.aspx?a ... 6&GT1=8535 (http://msn.match.com/msn/article.aspx?articleid=6618&TrackingID=516311&BannerID=544657&menuid=6&GT1=8535)

Dream date #1: Flight attendant
“I met Liv on a flight from New York to Atlanta. I stood around the jump seat area under the pretense of stretching my legs (flight attendants get totally hot for guys who know how to combat deep vein thrombosis, right?) and asked her about a book she was reading. I thought that it would be fantastic to brag that I was dating a flight attendant. It has a sexy, glamorous quality, plus I figured there would be tons of free trips and unexpected getaways to exotic locales. Every guy I ever told, ‘I’m dating a flight attendant’ got a faraway look in his eye and just nodded his head to silently say, ‘Good man, good man.’ The bragging rights totally exceeded my expectations, but the getaways turned out to be kind of a pain. You get to fly for free basically, but you never know when or if you can get back from where you came. Another downside was that she was flying the B-list routes to none-too-scenic small towns all over the interior of the country and dealing with irate passengers all day long, so she wasn’t usually in the best of moods when we got to spend time together. But still, she was gorgeous. And in the time we dated, I never got more high-fives from other dudes in my life.”
- Wayne, 28 Atlanta, GA

cancidas
2006-09-28, 12:30 AM
dating an FA is an interesting deal. maybe someday i'll share some stories...

hiss srq
2006-09-28, 12:39 AM
Lately I have noticed AirTrans are the best looking around or were to me at SRQ. They have my top pick for what carrier I would pluck from

dbudd
2006-09-28, 02:14 AM
Mario...Mario. Mario...

To those that don't know...I living with Michelle a 9 year Flight Attendant with Continental airlines based right there in Newark.

When I met Michelle she was working NTA as an International FA. We had a few calls back and forth before we actually met and I knew she would be special to me in my life. I never thought I'd date a FA and never really was aware of all that they go thru. Sure I had an obsession for Aviation but my father was a 20 year retiree from USAF. I had grown up on airbases in the states and in Europe!! When I was 20 I took lessons for my PPL.

After dating Michelle a few weeks I suddenly realized that we were good for each other as I understood most of what she was talking about. She was surprised as well as most of her old boyfriends never really knew what she does or could figure it out. It's not an easy job at all. You think serving meals and sodas is all they do??

Their number one care is protecting that aircraft and the flight deck. Sure times have changed and it never use to be such a high priority but anti-terror training is at the top of the training schedule now. Emergencies are right up there also. You wouldn't believe the training. And every year they go thru recurrent training!!

As for the perks of seeing a FA. I have gone on a lot of travels to some exciting places. The first year I had to fly on a buddy pass and it was a bit un-nerving. Then after one year Michelle listed me as her companion and now I fly with a higher classification. I am still not steady enough just to jump on the computer and book myself on a trip to somewhere new every weekend. I could. I would just sign in on her epass and list myself on a flight if seats were open. There is more to understanding the standby list. I'm still not up on all the different levels on non-rev flyers and I only like to travel with her on her days off!! One day I will understand the whole system and I will be off...free as a bird. My big scare is getting left in a strange town and not being able to get home and back to work too!! Thank god I’ve only been bumped off one flight so far. I just had to wait another hour and the next flight to LAS was open!! That was from IAH. Busy airport!!

I could list a few places. I went to Hawaii 6 times last year. Newark twice. Key West and Miami two weeks ago. Next week I'm off the HNL and then on to NGO Japan. Two month ago I went to St. Martin.

She had looked in the employee system they use for trip trading and she saw a trip in open time for first-class to SXM. She worked the flight in first and got me a seat up front. I stayed with the crew in their hotel and I had brunch with the whole crew the next morning. I talked at length with the pilots and then we all headed back to EWR and again I sat in first!! Get weekend but I was only in SXM for 20 hrs and I slept 8 of that!!

This weekend Michelle is in AMS. She comes home Friday and she will be exhausted!! Yes they come home tired as most days working often go at least 24 hours. They stay up all night and on those long red eye flights they can't sleep. Long hauls like EWR to NRT Japan are sometimes like 16 hours. They have crew breaks and crew rest in the last 4-6 seats at the back of the main cabin.

She loves her job but it's not for everyone. She has had several run-ins with paxs and even had to discipline a few drunks. Luckily they have not had any medical emergencies and pissed off people usually calm down.

As for the flying side. She has brought home some cool shots. I've seen some videos taken while crossing the pond. She has taken some in-flight shots but her camera is not the best and we have not tried JP.net. I’ve had a few flight deck visits and I’ve been to in-flight at both EWR and IAH.

Michelle grew up in Japan and is fluent in 4 dialects of Japanese. She speaks the language better than most Japanese nationals and that is how she got hired at COA. She is a language speaker but does not work that base out of EWR. She is not senior enough and therefore works Domestic 9 months of the year and switches back to international for 3 months during the winter. International is better in the winter as a lot of domestic trips get cancelled from the east coast due to WX. International flights guarantee her more money so she goes with that. Domestic trips for 9 months get her home like every three days.

The life as a FA is very confusing to me. The life style is hard to get use to and the learning curve of the whole company system is staggering!! One day I will get all this!!

So respect the FA’s next time you fly and listen to them. I think Continental has the best ladies and the oldest still flying for them is like 83.

And if any of you guys want to REALLY find out what it’s like …send me a private email

Dave

NIKV69
2006-09-28, 08:31 AM
Nicely done Dave! I do like the FAs on CO. COEX had a cutie every time I flew ISP-CLE. I hope to maybe meet yours this winter.

dbudd
2006-09-29, 11:16 AM
Anytime Nik...you staying in Laughlin again?? We'll have to hook up!!

mirrodie
2006-09-29, 12:09 PM
GOod perspective Dave :) It truly is an adventure.

WE've done the non-rev game a few times and its a fun game if you arent crunched for time, like life or a job :)

Our last nonrev was that 777 to London, the week prior to that London fuel explosion. On the way there, the loads looked reasonable, we thought we were a shoe-in for F seats but by the end, we were in Coach.

A week later, for our flight back, we were not getting out of LHR on that Friday, all overbooked. In fact, AA encouraged all non revers to try Shannon, Frankurt, CGD and other European airports.

So we didnt even bother showing up at the airport, went back to the pub for the day. I missed a day of patient visits but had coverage from the other doctor thankfully.

WE tried to go the next day, on Sat afternoon and hit F seats on the overbooked 777 home. Funny how nonrevving works :)

SO unpredictable!

hiss srq
2006-09-29, 12:23 PM
yeah nonrev is an adventure. Isnt it intresting how you can make it on an overbooked leg like that?

cancidas
2006-09-30, 11:30 PM
nonreving is the only way to fly!! actually no, i've since found a better way that only involed me shelling out for drinks in london but hey...

NIKV69
2006-10-01, 07:08 AM
Anytime Nik...you staying in Laughlin again?? We'll have to hook up!!

Not till after X-Mas, don't worry we will be shooting a lot. Got many things to get at LAS.