PDA

View Full Version : N707JT in CYHM

cancidas
2006-09-21, 03:36 PM
anyone have any idea why N707JT spend so much time in hamilton? nothing agains hamilton, but i wanna see that plane in LGA!! his last flight was IFR from KRNO to CYHM after making a low pass over the reno air races. wish i was there...

Tom_Turner
2006-09-21, 06:02 PM
That would be something Matt.

I've had first hand accounts from old timers of United Caravelles and NorthEast Convair jets at LGA (before my spotting time / pre-1968), and I'd imagine those services were short lived out of LGA - but if JT put his plane there, I think it would be a first for a 707 (and last) at LGA....

Tom

Nonstop2AUH
2006-09-23, 09:26 PM
I read somewhere that JT is filming a movie up in the Hamilton area. Actually, I am up in Maine (near Camden) and I was told he has a place on an island around here and often flies himself into a nearby airport, so if you notice one of the JT fleet (probably not the 707-runways not long enough) frequenting the Penobscot Bay area, that's why.

LGA777
2006-09-23, 09:50 PM
There is actually some kind of restriction at LGA that does not permit 707 and DC-8's to land there, even though the DC-10 and L-1011 are significantly bigger. I think it has something to do with the piers and weight per gear or something, perhaps someone else can add more ?

Cheers

LGA777

Futterman
2006-09-23, 10:22 PM
There is actually some kind of restriction at LGA that does not permit 707 and DC-8's to land there, even though the DC-10 and L-1011 are significantly bigger. I think it has something to do with the piers and weight per gear or something, perhaps someone else can add more ?

I was trying to research this the other night, but got preoccupied and never really got anywhere.

Pan Am and Eastern both operated the A300 into LGA, but the operations were short lived because the aircraft's wheelbase was too narrow. As a result, it couldn't distribute the weight over a large enough surface area and the powers that be considered this a threat to the weight-sensitive piers (which it was).

Just visualizing the DC10 and L1011 versus the A300 or 707, the main bogies are considerably further apart.

Here's to hoping that Trump picks up an L10! :)

Brian

kevin323
2006-09-24, 08:11 AM
I remember EA operating A-300 at LGA. Port Authority had a taxi speed restriction on the RW 22 pier. There was a taxi speed indicator on the instrument panel to monitor this. Yes a few crews got tickets! this was needed due the weight distribution of the A-300 main gear.

cancidas
2006-09-25, 09:35 AM
travolta's G-II is now enroute to CYHM, guess he's having the fam visit...

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N492JT