PDA

View Full Version : Whalejet is delayed again

T-Bird76
2006-09-20, 12:00 PM
AP
Report: Airbus to Announce Delay to A380
Wednesday September 20, 7:07 am ET
Report: Airbus to Announce New Six-Month Delay to A380

PARIS (AP) -- Airbus is set to announce a further six-month delay to its flagship A380 superjumbo jet, French financial daily Les Echos reported Wednesday.

Without citing sources, the newspaper said the new production hitch was caused by problems at the A380 assembly plant at Airbus headquarters in Toulouse, southern France.

Some A380 customers will receive their planes as much as 18 months after the original delivery date, according to a new schedule to be announced "in the next few days," the newspaper said.

Shares in European Aeronautic Defence and Space Co., which owns 80 percent of Airbus, opened 3.2 percent lower Wednesday but had recovered to euro22.60 (US$28.60) by midday, 0.5 percent below Tuesday's close.

The company declined to comment on the Airbus delivery schedule, pending an internal audit of A380 production that is ongoing. The results of the audit are set to be presented at an EADS board meeting Sept. 29.

Air France-KLM said Wednesday it had received a revised A380 delivery schedule from Airbus, but declined to give details. Cologne, Germany-based Lufthansa AG said it had yet to receive any new timeframe. Virgin Atlantic did not immediately return a call.

Airbus said in June that the first delivery to launch customer Singapore Airlines was still set for December, but the carrier said Wednesday that the date had yet to be finalized.

"Singapore Airlines is working with Airbus towards delivery of the first A380 in December, but Airbus can only confirm the date after they have completed their technical review at the end of September," said airline spokesman Stephen Forshaw.

Airbus announced a first six-month delay to the A380 program last year. The company then announced further delays of up to six months in June, causing EADS shares to plunge amid a crisis of customer and investor confidence that eventually led to the ouster of EADS co-CEO Noel Forgeard and Airbus boss Gustav Humbert. Charles Champion, the executive who oversaw A380 production at Airbus, was replaced Sept. 5.

Winglets747
2006-09-20, 02:52 PM
At the rate they're going, we'll see the 787 in service before the A380. ;)

-Will

NIKV69
2006-09-20, 03:15 PM
Not like this is a suprise. Airbus tried to rush this thing into the air from the start. I hope they have a nice compensation package for these airlines that have placed orders.

mirrodie
2006-09-20, 03:40 PM
Sounds like a familiar story.

High gas prices, delays,

I forsee.......orders being dropped.

I forsee.......14 total aircraft built...

Airbus A380 Phoenix Rising: The Child of Concorde.

T-Bird76
2006-09-20, 04:00 PM
Sounds like a familiar story.

High gas prices, delays,

I forsee.......orders being dropped.

I forsee.......14 total aircraft built...

Airbus A380 Phoenix Rising: The Child of Concorde.

I think the reality is no orders will be canceled, Airbus will just give up their shirts on the first orders. Look to about 300 frames total built before she goes away. This is more like the spirit of Concorde just allot uglier and slower. LOL

NIKV69
2006-09-20, 04:08 PM
I would be very surprised if they get 200 in the air. I still think this thing is going to cost a lot more to fly than they are letting on and every time fuel spikes airlines will have to hit their pax with a surcharge. It will not be pretty.

hiss srq
2006-09-20, 05:28 PM
The frog jet is going to loose tons of orders for this I forsee SIA EK and a few others making major waves lol. I personally hate the frogjet so I am indiffrent to the issues

Winglets747
2006-09-20, 08:15 PM
The frog jet is going to loose tons of orders for this I forsee SIA EK and a few others making major waves lol. I personally hate the frogjet so I am indiffrent to the issues

OK, I'll bite. Frogjet? I take it that means A380, but that's the first I've heard that expression used.

-Will

hiss srq
2006-09-20, 08:41 PM
it kind of reminds me of a frog the way it looks forwhatever reason past the obvious pun being mainly manufactured in France but the components are from all over the world so I guess that does not work lol.

hiss srq
2006-09-21, 10:30 PM
Well EK may be starting the wave of cancelations! Uh oh someone tell Airbus to start beggin the french for more money to support them either that or they need to start giving away A-330's again!

davezilla
2006-09-22, 12:46 AM
hi guys i think the A380 is done if this keeps up with to many delays to me i think the B787 will be up and flying befor the A380. :D

Ari707
2006-09-22, 10:17 AM
big story in todays times about more delays and unhappy customers