PDA

View Full Version : LGA CTB Questions

RDU-JFK
2006-09-11, 12:49 PM
So after looking at a thread on airliners.net about where defunct airlines' gates were at airports, I was wondering where some of the older airlines operated out of the central terminal at LGA. I think I remember flying TWA out of concourse B one time, but what about Pan Am, Eastern, Braniff, New York Air, etc.? WHere did they all operate from?

Thanks in advance.

LGA777
2006-09-11, 05:08 PM
Kinda of a complicated question due to so many different periods in time. To the best of my knowledge the concourses did not have letters and there was only gate number anotherwords only 1 gate 4, only 1 gate 22. The present D concourse was gates 1-10, primarily AA, in the 80 PI used gates 1-2-4 and US used 1-2 from 89-92. At one time the original Midway used Gate 2. The current C concourse was Gates 11-21. United was always down at the end where they are now. AL had gates 19-21 including 20A. National always parked here in the 70's as did Braniff. I have actually seen a photo of two NA DC-10's on the end gates. AC used gate 19 at onetime and during the mid 80's CO parked here acquiring former New York Air gates. After the PI/US merger in 89 US had 8 gates, the first 4 on each side until Sept 92 when the US Terminal opened. The present B concourse was gates 22-29. The primary tenant was TWA, but at different times CO was here, along with PA and US used the present YX gates (22-23) from 89-92 prior to the US terminal opening. My very first arrival at LGA was in 1976 on a DL 727 from ATL and we parked there also. These where the DL and I believe NE gates prior to the DL Terminal opening in either 81 or 82. The present A concourse gates 30-36 was primarily the home of Eastern for many years but NW also parked there before the DL terminal opened and PI parked there (EA handled them) from 1966-1982 and Southern as well. I know I have left a lot of holes But this should help some and I welcome addition's and corrections to what I posted. Some of this is from photos but I have also worked at LGA since 1985.

Cheers

LGA777

RDU-JFK
2006-09-11, 05:14 PM
Wow, thanks for the response. That's exactly the information I was looking for. Looking at the tight quarters at the CTB today, how did those concourses handle all those aircraft? Like today's concourse A only has 5 or 6 gates, right? How were there 9 gates way back when? Last time I flew YX I was complaining how cramped the waiting areas were in concourse B--just thinking about DC-10s parked makes me wonder how it must have been to wait for a flight back then. But thanks again for the information!

cancidas
2006-09-11, 05:15 PM
ladies and gentlemen, the great ron peel... a history book with (very white) legs. :D

LGA777
2006-09-11, 05:31 PM
Thank you Matt, and for RDU-JFK, you are very welcome but just a little clarification on the current Concourse A. In the old Eastern days it was Gates 30-36 which equals 7 gates, 6 with Jetways and Gate 30 without and a staircase down to a lower or ramp level small holdroom. The present A concourse still has 7 gates (A-1 thru A-7) and A1 is the old Gate 30 but no more lower level hold room. It is used for some of CO-EX's flights and CO parks a 73G or 738 with air-stairs there for remote overnight parking and for their NY Yankees and other Sports charters as the teams come ramp-side and can better utilize the air-stairs on this non jetway gate!

Cheers

LGA777