View Full Version : DL and AC Planes Collide at LGA

PhilDernerJr
2006-09-08, 08:59 PM
NYC| Queens| Airport Alert| laguardia Airport|Delta vs Air Canada on the
Taxiway: Minor Damage. No Injuries. No Fuel Leaks. [NYK155]| ORE006| 20:12

Trying to find out more info.

LGA777
2006-09-08, 10:45 PM
Just called work from home, (night off) they are still trying to get details, all they could tell me was DL Shuttle MD88 and AC 319 clipped wings and no injuries. Perhaps it will be on the 2300 news?

Cheers

LGA777

LGA777
2006-09-08, 11:10 PM
News 2 (CBS) reported that it was AC723 to YYZ (319) and DL Shuttle 6471 to ORD (Shuttle America E-170) where Eyewitness News 7 (ABC) reported as AC and CO.

LGA777

PhilDernerJr
2006-09-09, 10:04 AM
I assume the planes are parked somewhere? Anyone know?

LGA777
2006-09-09, 10:06 AM
Sounds like both where in line for takeoff, clipped wings, then both returned to the gate. Interestingly 1010 wins is calling it Shuttle America 6461 to ORD, no mention of the word Delta.

Cheers

LGA777

hiss srq
2006-09-09, 10:20 AM
I wonder how bad the damage is anyone seen pics?

moose135
2006-09-09, 12:23 PM
The little bit of the news item I heard last night said one was backing away from the gate when it happened.

PhilDernerJr
2006-09-09, 01:02 PM
The little bit of the news item I heard last night said one was backing away from the gate when it happened.

I heard htey were in line to depart. I don't see how one of them backing up could have done it, as the E170s are gated far from the CTB (where AC is), and I don't see how they'd be so close to the other while at a gate.

cancidas
2006-09-09, 04:21 PM
even if the E170 was on A taxiway near the AC gates on A7 there is no way that the airplane could have been pushed back into one another. the 170s wingspans is so small and the curve you follow getting an airplane off of A7 are too far apart for that to happen. this would have to happen somewhere near the departure runway, IMO.

emshighway
2006-09-10, 10:15 AM
Couple jolted in jet collision
Air Canada plane clips Delta jet at New York airport
Sep. 10, 2006. 12:49 AM
MEGHAN WATERS
STAFF REPORTER

Angela Salomon's flight for Toronto was about to take off from New York's LaGuardia Airport when the plane lurched forward and she heard a loud thud.

"You definitely felt the impact. We jolted forward," Salomon said.

She and her boyfriend, Ryan Barkan, were sitting in row 24, just beside the right wing of their Air Canada plane when it struck another aircraft on a runway Friday night.

The right wing clipped the tail of an adjacent Shuttle America aircraft, Salomon said.

"It was a sound you're not used to hearing," she said. "When I saw the damage it had done, it surprised me how easily a piece of plane could break."

Representatives from Air Canada and Delta Airlines, which operates the Shuttle America regional aircraft, described the accident as minor. There were no injuries reported.

But Salomon, 29, said it seemed the impact nearly tore off a large chunk of the rear wing of the Shuttle America jet. She said their vantage point gave her and her 28-year-old boyfriend a clear view of the accident.

The Air Canada plane held 103 passengers, and the Chicago-bound Delta plane had 66. Both planes were taken out of service while officials investigated the accident.

The Air Canada flight 723, which was scheduled to leave at 6:30 p.m. Friday, had already been delayed when passengers boarded the plane. After waiting on the runway for half an hour, the pilot announced they were 25th in a lineup of planes waiting to take off, Salomon said. The accident happened about 7:30 p.m.

"It was clear we were going to hit the plane, but there was nothing we could do about it," Salomon said. "We just couldn't believe it had happened."

Immediately after the accident, officials inspected both aircraft and towed away the Delta plane. Several police officers arrived and questioned the two pilots, she said.

Air Canada passengers were ushered into the terminal and were rerouted to two flights later in the evening.

"Everyone was all over the place. We were sitting in the airport for three hours, and they didn't offer anyone a food voucher," she said. "It was mayhem."

"It was initially somewhat scary, but then it was just a hassle for something that shouldn't have happened," Barkan said.

Salomon said she was already a nervous flyer before the incident.

"The one thing I couldn't get out of my mind was that Kentucky flight," she said.........

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Conten ... 8332188492 (http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_PrintFriendly&c=Article&cid=1157838637439&call_pageid=968332188492)

PhilDernerJr
2006-09-10, 10:25 AM
Going throughsomethinglike this is not muchfun, and very annoying to say the least.

But to compare it to Kentucky, or act like the two were even closely related, is way over-dramatic.

emshighway
2006-09-10, 12:17 PM
Going throughsomethinglike this is not muchfun, and very annoying to say the least.

But to compare it to Kentucky, or act like the two were even closely related, is way over-dramatic.

That's why I left most of that out when I posted the article. A typical media ploy, attach a minor incident to a major disaster to scare people "This could happen to you!! News at 11"