PDA

View Full Version : Feels like the first time!

T-Bird76
2006-09-03, 03:48 PM
So I'm very excited right now. Tomorrow morning I'm taking a flight in a Douglas C-47 aka the DC-3 from FRG. I've never flown in an old prop-liner before let alone a tail dragger. Here's the bird I'll be going up in, seen today 9/3 taking off from FRG. Interestingly enough just after this shot was taken she came around and landed. Her number 2 engine failed.

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/C47_FRG_090306_BW.jpg

mirrodie
2006-09-03, 03:49 PM
Nice shot! I love seeing her depart and flank just in front of our house. Its a real treat.

hiss srq
2006-09-03, 03:58 PM
Darn lucky SOB good luck have fun and utilize that camera !

LGA777
2006-09-03, 04:24 PM
Tommy. this should be a big thrill for you, I have not flown in a DC-3 since I was a kid, your going to love it, Have A Great Time!

Cheers

LGA777

GrummanFan
2006-09-03, 04:31 PM
One of these days ill cough up the 265 bucks to catch a flight myself. Enjoy it!

moose135
2006-09-03, 06:10 PM
Not so fast Tommy, liek you said, on the last flight of the day (the one you and Fred saw depart) she lost the #2 engine, made a 180, and landed opposite direction. I saw her taxi in with one engine shut down.

I'll see if I can find out her status for Monday, but from what I was hearing, it doesn't sound promising.

T-Bird76
2006-09-03, 07:34 PM
Not so fast Tommy, liek you said, on the last flight of the day (the one you and Fred saw depart) she lost the #2 engine, made a 180, and landed opposite direction. I saw her taxi in with one engine shut down.

I'll see if I can find out her status for Monday, but from what I was hearing, it doesn't sound promising.

Well I can get my money back then, LOL

Derf
2006-09-03, 07:57 PM
Little did I realize that I had shot her the exact moment the engine failed
and then have shots of her yawing to the right!!! I also (about 1 minute
later) have her on a very short final over Southern State Parkway with
one engine (Possibly shut down) feathered. At that point everything went
to blur as I started screaming at Tommy and Moose on the cell phone
about finding out why the emerengcy return.... I wish the pictures were
as excited as I was but you really can not see much... if anyone is
interested, I will post it but it seemed like a non event that the pilots
handled properly. I wish there was something worth shooting, like a poof
or anything, but it just looked like the aircraft changed a few degrees to
the right. BORING SHOTS!

I got some really great shots of that little jem today, Nice shutter speed
there Tom, what was it? looks about 300th of a second. Nice prop blur...I
went a little too far with some of the blur! ;)

K9DEP
2006-09-03, 08:00 PM
I know for sure that they will let u up in the cockpit so take advantage of it!

Derf
2006-09-03, 11:57 PM
Here is the shot of the quickie return
http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/92756702-L.jpg

hiss srq
2006-09-04, 12:04 AM
Dude lucky I was not on the southern state because if that came chugging in over my head I would have no choice but to take my brake pedal to the floor. lol Shes somthing else I think I am going to come up for a ride in that beauty. Who do I talk to?

727C47
2006-09-04, 08:52 AM
we have been having a tough year with our Yankee Air force C-47 too,we blew an engine back in July, and our ship is down now with tailwheel issues, I have only flown 4 missions with her,had to abort a run to OSH ,30 JUL when a line of lvl 6 cells topping FL 680 blocked our passage,we will get 'em next year !