PDA

View Full Version : Spotting at HPN

airhagen05
2006-08-05, 01:09 PM
First wanted to say greetings to all the other NY aviation enthusiasts. I'm new to this forum and am glad to have found it as it is a great resource.
I am a student pilot out at HPN and have been spending a lot of time at the airport as I try and achieve my private pilots license. I have also been trying to figure out good places to spot. A lot of great biz jet traffic comes in there and now a lot more RJs are showing up as well. I was wondering if anyone knew some good locations. I've already had a couple of run ins with the WCPD and they were usually over crummy locations anyway. The restaurant and the observation deck in the terminal is nice but I'm not sure they are too keen on cameras.
Also, if anyone is a frequent spotter at HPN, let me know. I would love to join in. I'm going to be there almost everyday for the next three weeks.
Thanks.

Greeney
2006-08-06, 10:57 AM
Traning at Pano?

airhagen05
2006-08-07, 10:21 AM
Traning at Pano?

Yeah. Almost done. I have my FAA check next week.

Greeney
2006-08-07, 01:34 PM
Well congrats! I live about 10 miles from HPN

LGA777
2006-08-07, 03:24 PM
Even though I live in the North Bronx less than 2 miles from the Westchester Co border I have only been to HPN twice, and not in several years. airhagen05, first of all welcome to this great website and good luck with your license, now please tell me a little more about the observation deck in the terminal ? I was not aware of this, I assume it is indoors behind glass ? and is it presecurity ? Thanks, and again welcome and best of luck !

Cheers

Ron Peel

PhilDernerJr
2006-08-07, 03:56 PM
I've been to the deck. It's outdoors, before security, and it gives you an overview of most of the airport.

However, the fencing around it is made up of hard sqaures maybe 3 inches wide that are not very conducive for photography.

Greeney
2006-08-07, 03:58 PM
I've been to the deck. It's outdoors, before security, and it gives you an overview of most of the airport.

However, the fencing around it is made up of hard sqaures maybe 3 inches wide that are not very conducive for photography.
Exactally, Its a bitch to photograph through it. Leme see if I can find a photo that isnt ****ty from there.

Here we go.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/5314/crjpz2.jpg
http://img308.imageshack.us/img308/2209/e170zz5.jpg

Should look familiar to people that have been to HPN before.

Bellucciman
2006-08-07, 04:30 PM
I've been up at SUNY Purchase this summer running the three miles around the campus. There is a spot near one of the athletic fields where you have a great view of the aircraft taking off (not sure which runway though). I've brought my binoculars and haven't had a problem with joggers or anyone looking at me funny, however I haven't brought the camera yet. I'll be up there again on Wednesday and will take a chance. I'll find out the exact location.

Greeney
2006-08-07, 04:37 PM
Its most likely runway 16 departures if there overflying SUNY.

Bellucciman
2006-08-07, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the info! I'll see if I can get a few good photos on Wednesday. Maybe I'll get lucky!

Greeney
2006-08-07, 07:34 PM
You literally need to shoot the photos through 3in squares...

airhagen05
2006-08-09, 01:38 PM
Ahh, i never thought of going to the SUNYpurchase. Its right on the approach path to 34 and departure end of 16. One of these days im going to try and head over there. How would I get there from the Hutch?
I'm glad to see there are other people interested with HPN.

G-BOAD
2006-09-01, 07:43 AM
i never went spotting at HPN, but flew from there once. is it a nice place worth a visit or should i just stick to JFK and LGA?

T-Bird76
2006-09-01, 10:00 AM
i never went spotting at HPN, but flew from there once. is it a nice place worth a visit or should i just stick to JFK and LGA?

You can basically get the same birds HPN gets at LGA, less the UALX E170. However exploring new airports can always be fun.