PDA

View Full Version : DeHavilland Dash 8 - Safe?

fly.mcs
2006-07-28, 05:38 PM
Hey guys, I'm still learning about different aircraft, of course. I've always had a focus on jets rather than props. I've never flown on a prop. But here's my question: After seeing the Dash 8 fly into LGA a lot, and now into JFK as well, how safe are these aircraft? They have always been interesting aircraft in my opinion, but are they safe?

If you've flown on a Dash 8, please give me your take on the aircraft and it's feel/performance. If you haven't flown on it but know something about the aircraft, I'd like to hear from you as well. Thanks.

T-Bird76
2006-07-28, 06:10 PM
They've been flying for years without any major record of unsafe operation. They are a perfectly safe plane to fly on. I've flown then a number of times without hesitation.

hiss srq
2006-07-28, 07:34 PM
They are extremely safe, in fact as far as Turboprop commuters go they have the longest heritage behind them over the 1900's, ATR's and Saab's. I have flown quite a few times between LGA and PHL on them in the process of commuting to Florida to fly when I lived up there and a intresting note about them is quite frequently you will notice that they will drop the gear before the flaps.(alot of times) Quite intresting but they are awesome planes.

FlyingColors
2006-07-29, 11:39 AM
Many times the general public has hesitation traveling on a "prop".

What these folks don't realize is that the power source is a turbine engine, just the propulsion comes from the blades.

A truly massive improvement over reciprocating piston power plant, especially in fuel economy, maintenance, and reliability.

I always felt "turbo prop" was a bad tag. I gives the image of a turbocharged piston engine, like in a car.

Should have been labeled a "turbine prop"

fly.mcs
2006-07-29, 11:58 AM
Hey guys, thanks so much for responding to the post. I never really had a hesitation on flying a prop over a jet, but now it seems I'll think about choosing prop over jet if I'm presented with the choice in the future. It should be interesting. I heard you feel everything on a prop; that's something I'd like to experience. And hearing how good the safety of this aircraft is makes me want to fly it even more. Thanks again for all replies.

Tom_Turner
2006-07-29, 01:16 PM
Yes, the Dash 8 has a surperior safety record.

As far as how sturdy these turboprops look, I always thought the ATR seemed to be a step ahead of the rest...looking much more solid..almost like a DC-3 or Fokker prop, but the ATR actually seemed to have more exposure to de-iciing issues and as rickety as the Dash 8 appear to me, they operate safely in harsh climates.

Tom

FlyingColors
2006-07-29, 05:17 PM
I've been on 3 Types of turbo props.

2 flights on the Super King Air.
1 flight on a 1900D.
And one on a EMB-120.

My experiences on these were all totally smooth.

On the King Air I was able to be "junior FO" on both trips in the right seat.
Cruising altitude was 21 to 22,000 feet.

[/img]

hiss srq
2006-07-29, 05:25 PM
Kingair is a great plane. I flew a 90 and a B200 for a little while as a F/O for a part 135. Great planes. As a passenger the ATR Saab and Dash 8. I think when I was really young I flew on a US Air Express Dash-7 in the Bahamas to like Miami or Lauderdale but I dont remember for sure who it was.