PDA

View Full Version : AA 777 Emergency Landing at JFK

moose135
2006-07-26, 09:34 AM
From Newsday.com:

Engine fails on plane carrying 253 people, lands safely
July 26, 2006, 7:26 AM EDT

NEW YORK (AP) _ A commercial plane carrying more than 250 people experienced engine failure Wednesday, and pilots landed it safely at a nearby airport, officials said.

The Boeing 777 plane landed at John F. Kennedy International Airport less than a half hour after one of its two engines failed, said American Airlines spokesman Billy Sanez. Officials were investigating what caused the problem on Flight 134.

"The plane landed after the captain declared an emergency," Sanez said. "It's not a common incident, but the pilots are trained to deal with these situations."

The aircraft, en route from Los Angeles International Airport to London's Heathrow Airport, was carrying 239 passengers and 14 crew members, Sanez said. All passengers would be put on another plane, he said.

The flight left Los Angeles at 8:35 p.m. PDT and landed in New York about six hours later. A message left for a local Federal Aviation Administration official was not immediately returned early Wednesday.

RDU-JFK
2006-07-26, 09:41 AM
Does AA have spare 777's at JFK overnight?

hiss srq
2006-07-26, 10:34 AM
beats me that is vey strange though to have an engine failure at altitude with the power at a medium type setting. It is pretty rare to loose one at altitude unless some sort of contaminate I.E. ash etc... was injested which I do not see happening someplace just North of NYC. I wonder if they SHUT IT down perhaps for some sort of technical reason like vibrations becoming too high etc... and the media got it wrong again as usual.

moose135
2006-07-26, 11:36 AM
I wonder if they SHUT IT down perhaps for some sort of technical reason like vibrations becoming too high etc... and the media got it wrong again as usual.

As the duly appointed media representative here, please note that the airline spokesman said one of the engines failed, so let's be careful about indiscriminate media bashing, OK? :)

And as far as almost anyone is concerned, whether they shut one down because of some technical reason like you mention, or the thing started spitting out fan blades, the end result is the engine failed to work properly resulting in the crew declaring an emergency and landing an an airport other than their intended destination.

hiss srq
2006-07-26, 11:50 AM
this is true and i will calm the anti media

T-Bird76
2006-07-26, 11:51 AM
Moose you posted this from Newsday not the New York Times, so we know its not media misinformation or creative information, LOL