PDA

View Full Version : Teaching Math...

cancidas
2006-07-20, 09:04 AM
Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $3,58. After the counter girl took my $4,00, I pulled out 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. As she stood there holding the nickel and 3 pennies while looking at the screen on her register with a blank stare, I sensed her discomfort. I tried to her to just give me 2 quarters, but she called the manager instead. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she just stood there and cried.

Why do I tell you this? Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950’s.

Teaching math in 1950: A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

Teaching math in 1060: A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5, or $80. What is his profit?

Teaching math in 1970: A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80, did he make a profit?

Teaching math in 1980: A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $100 and his profit is $20. Underline the number 20.

Teaching math in 1990: A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate, and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think about this way of making a living? Topic for class discussion after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers.)

Teaching math in 2006: Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costs de la produccisn es $80. Cuantas tortillas se pueda comprar?

PhilDernerJr
2006-07-20, 09:29 AM
I thought the story inthe beginning was pretty funny. I wish I could witness something like that.

Mellyrose
2006-07-20, 09:42 AM
I've seen that evolution of math somewhere recently. I thought it was on this board, but I guess I read it somewhere else.

The other day while purchasing my breakfast, I did the same thing....tried to make the cashier's life a little easier while lightening my coin purse. Not only did they not understand, but they shorted my change! Only a couple cents, but so annoying.

RDU-JFK
2006-07-20, 09:54 AM
HAHAHA great post. It's sad but true.

PhilDernerJr
2006-07-20, 10:12 AM
I've seen that evolution of math somewhere recently. I thought it was on this board, but I guess I read it somewhere else.

I read it to you from my email last night.