PDA

View Full Version : Radisson LAX-Bad News

markg
2006-07-12, 08:48 PM
I received an email from a friend of mine last night with some bad news regarding the Radisson. Looks like one idiot has spoiled it for the rest. Anyone heard any more about the re-opening of the Theme Building?

I just returned form a trip to the LAX Radisson with
my son and a couple of friends. Spotting as always
was great but I have some bad news to share regarding
access to the Penthouse Bar.

The Hotel now has a new Manager and he is conerned
that when the bar is left open with no staff present
the general public have unrestricted access to the
Hotel roof. He is concerned about sombody falling
from the roof.

We managed to convince the staff to open the bar on
Saturday but a photographer / spotter arrived shortly
after it was opened and proceeded to cross the roof to
the North side and started photographing the
departures on 25L. We asked him to return to the bar
area which he did but the damage had been done
Security caught him on Camera. Security arrived 5
minutes later said nothing and left. I don't believe
that the photog was a resident at the Radisson as we
never saw the two of them again.

On Sunday morning the Manager refused to open the
Penthouse bar and advised that from now on it would be
kept closed until 1700 everyday when it is staffed.
He did however allow us to use the function room next
door which is fully enclosed and gives airport views
rather than 24 / 25 approach. There are no seats and
getting all traffic on four runways is something of a
rush around all day.

I can understand the Managers concern about open
access to the roof especially in the US where
litigation can be almost uncontrolled. I expressed my
disappointment but having no aces to play I was
beaten.

There was also some discussion about drunks going
upstairs and causing damage but the Manager didn't
really push this issue.

So if you are planning a trip to LAX Radisson in the
next few weeks you are going to have to speak nice to
the staff and request access to the function room if
the br is locked.

Being one of my more accessible fields over here in
California this is something of a blow. It will
certainly reduce my weekends down in LAX, having done
several recently.

So if you do get in the Bar or function room please
enjoy it and respect the Managers wishes. Sorry if
this causes you any concerns with future holiday
bookings/plans etc., but thought I had better pass on
the information and keep the spotting community
advised on the situation at what is a popular
destination.

Best regards
Nick Howard
Pugwash

T-Bird76
2006-07-12, 09:16 PM
Thanks for that information and it is truly a shame to hear this. I'd hope that as a guest of the hotel they would open the bar with the assurance of proper behavior. This brings up a point that was in Phil's recent editorial that proper behavior while spotting is a must! I'll be in LAX next week and report on my findings at the Raddison.

NIKV69
2006-07-13, 02:33 PM
If you read the post carefully this isn't due to spotter behavior, it seems the new manager had issue with people being able to be in the lounge area during the non busniess hours. If you think it about it he has a point. What he should do is put up a low enough fence around the roof so we can shoot and not fall off and open for lunch at 11:30. maybe even charge admission for non-hotel guests to go out and shoot. It could benefit both sides.

T-Bird76
2006-07-13, 02:54 PM
Nick World Cup is over stop drinking and read!

We managed to convince the staff to open the bar on
Saturday but a photographer / spotter arrived shortly
after it was opened and proceeded to cross the roof to
the North side and started photographing the
departures on 25L. We asked him to return to the bar
area which he did but the damage had been done
Security caught him on Camera. Security arrived 5
minutes later said nothing and left. I don't believe
that the photog was a resident at the Radisson as we
never saw the two of them again.

NIKV69
2006-07-13, 03:07 PM
Read this.

The Hotel now has a new Manager and he is conerned
that when the bar is left open with no staff present
the general public have unrestricted access to the
Hotel roof. He is concerned about sombody falling
from the roof.

I doubt the one photog who decided to walk out on the roof is the one who is responsible for this change in the old policy. Sounds like the manager was going to lock those doors outside of business hours anyway. Hell I walked out on the roof back in January, go ahead and blame me. You need to realize that the lounge area is still private property and even though the door was open during the day it wasn't our right to be up there. It was a privelege. Just because a new manager has a difference of opinion now doesn't mean that it is a spotters fault. As much as many people would want to have this be the case.

T-Bird76
2006-07-13, 04:52 PM
Nick I think the difference is he got caught as stated in the post. It is certainly possible that one person can spoil it for all. I think with some reasonable discussion as a hotel guest they'd open it up. If they don't Phil can attest to my ability to be a nightmare customer and get what I want. LOL

NIKV69
2006-07-13, 05:02 PM
Nick I think the difference is he got caught as stated in the post. It is certainly possible that one person can spoil it for all. I think with some reasonable discussion as a hotel guest they'd open it up. If they don't Phil can attest to my ability to be a nightmare customer and get what I want. LOL

Hopefully not like Phil and Del Taco

Sounds to me like this new manager doesn't want the headache of opening for certain people and not others, especially if no hotel staff is present. Hell, like I posted on anet, put a barrier around the whole roof and make it an observation deck, charge non guests admission and open the lounge for lunch and jack up the prices, everyone wins. I wouldn't care spending 10 bucks for a burger and 5 bucks a beer to shoot.

T-Bird76
2006-07-13, 05:05 PM

Hopefully not like Phil and Del Taco

Sounds to me like this new manager doesn't want the headache of opening for certain people and not others, especially if no hotel staff is present. Hell, like I posted on anet, put a barrier around the whole roof and make it an observation deck, charge non guests admission and open the lounge for lunch and jack up the prices, everyone wins. I wouldn't care spending 10 bucks for a burger and 5 bucks a beer to shoot.

Not sure where the Phil thing comes into play but I do agree that if they are worried, a barrier of some sort should be put in place.

moose135
2006-07-13, 06:14 PM
...but I do agree that if they are worried, a barrier of some sort should be put in place.

The problem with that is they have to maintain it, and they face liability if something happens to someone. By closing the roof, they avoid those issues.

Looks like some Craftsman has thrown a monkey wrench into the operation. :cry:

NIKV69
2006-07-13, 08:08 PM
The problem with that is they have to maintain it, and they face liability if something happens to someone. By closing the roof, they avoid those issues.

More so the price to build it and the insurance to indemnify themselves in case anything happened. I think long term though the traffic through there should make them a slight profit. Hard to say, from the sounds of it this new manager doesn't want the headache. Though you could make that roof so awesome with benches and those binocular things you put a quarter into and you could spot the planes up close.

dbudd
2006-07-14, 01:41 AM
I had the same feeling the few times I have been up there. It seemed like time was counting down til something or someone messed it up.

One story I heard was that people were just standing outside while not shooting and the airport police came up to investigate. I can bet that the new manager wants nothing to do with police visits. Once the hotel has gotten a bad rap then he has a mountain to climb.

The spot was over done recently and I usually leave there and go over to the In N' Out in the afternoon. Look what I photographed one afternoon from even a futher point. I usually park at the Longs Drugs two story parking lot and that is a block futher away then In n' Out. These people really stand out!! They had walked out to the center of the roof. Imagine what the police must see.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/dave_budd/jetphotosnet/radrooftop2.jpg

I did like it up there only cause it gave me a place to rest. Leather sofas are hard to beat once you have been walking all over the airport complex. They even had a plasma TV that we use to watch. Secutity never gave us any grief and I always said Hi and made my intentions clear that I would be gone before the lounge opened for business.

In case some of you have never been to the Radisson.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/dave_budd/jetphotosnet/radissonlounge.jpg

I'll miss that place..

Dave

lear45
2006-07-14, 01:04 PM
Great post and pictures Dave! Like you and I had talked, you knew it had to happen eventually. People just insisted on walking way out on the roof and were going to ruin it for everyone. I used to go out just a little ways beyond the rail and then come right back in when done shooting the picture. Just like youstated, I have seen people go out there and just stand way out on the roof for an hour like it is a regular spotting location. Oh well...all good things must come to an end I guess.

dlx737200
2006-07-14, 02:52 PM
MAN!!! :x :x :x

I just booked my hotel room for the Radisson for 3 weeks from now for 3 nights. I was only planning on going there in the morning hours before the sunlight switches to the north side of the planes. Thanks to those who always seem to mess stuff up for others!

-Justin

dbudd
2006-07-15, 01:49 AM
I had big plans for this weekend too but now i am wondering when I should go down!!?? I always like to spend a few hours up there . Great place to meet people. You always had some chaps from the U.K. taken down rego's. I always exchanged stories with them.

I will have to wait and see...Tom is going down on the 19th and I can't wait to see what happens.

Justin...you'll just have to come out to LAS and shoot with me and lear45. I can't promise you a shot from any great heights but we do get high over the fence. Plus our hotels offer so much more.

Dave

dlx737200
2006-07-15, 09:33 AM
Dave, I definately plan on visiting LAS sometime soon. I have non rev benefits kicking in on July 28th so my horizons are certainly going to be expanding. However, I really want to do LAX in the summer so I'll probably just spend these 4 days I'm there in August at LAX. I want to check out that Westchester Bridge spot for 24R landings in the evening light! Do you live in LAS? And what's this about a Lear?

-Justin

dbudd
2006-07-15, 05:49 PM
The Westchester Parkway bridge is a tough spot to shoot from. You have to avoid the police that frequent the parkway and still stay undetected. I found a spot not far up the road from the In n' Out that gives the same type of angles and lighting. Course the back drop is entirely different.

'Lear45' the newbie here(that posted above me) is my spotting buddy here in LAS. He is a Lear 45 pilot for a major corparation here in Vegas. He has some great inflight pics that just made Jp.net

Dave

cwalfy1
2006-07-30, 05:32 PM
Has anyone heard any more on this, I have email the Radisson directly and I'm still waiting on a reply. Also has anyone heard any more on the theme building reopening and when.

dbudd
2006-07-30, 08:06 PM
I emailed them the day after I read this post here...two weeks later and not a reply..

Dave

hiss srq
2006-07-31, 01:30 AM
Aeolus (justin) Lear is a member on here don't get your patnties in a bundle lo. I told you I would take you up and get you sick in it when I it goes in and than comes out of MX and so I shall lol. Sheesh you and LearJets man. Anyway see ya in 2 days or so lol.

cwalfy1
2006-08-08, 09:29 AM
Here is the answer I received today from the Radisson in reference to the lounge being closed to spotters.

Top of the Radisson lounge offers access daily from 2 pm - 1 am.

That is all they said.

dbudd
2006-08-08, 12:29 PM
Sure..

When the light sucks!!

cwalfy1
2006-08-08, 12:40 PM
I guess you take what you can get.