PDA

View Full Version : Question Regarding Jetphotos.net/Airlines.net

Bellucciman
2006-06-20, 11:48 AM
I know that there is no such thing as a stupid question, however I'm going to ask one anyway.
Do the screeners for Jetphotos & Airlines.net accept more photos to members that subscribe for first class membership? Do they seem to reject photos more often if someone uses the free membership?
Also, right now I'm limited to upload my image size as 1024. Most of my exposures are 3mb or higher so when resizing the image in photoshop, it still looks good. I'm just not sure what the screeners are looking for in terms of quality. I know there are a lot of variables, but I wouldn't knowingly submit an out of focus image.
I will join one or both as a first class member, but I'd like to at least see a few in the gallery and get some feedback on them prior to joining.
Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks

Mike

T-Bird76
2006-06-20, 11:55 AM
Under no circumstances do the screeners favor members who pay vs members who don't. Feel free to post some pictures here first for some feedback before uploading. Jetphotos also has a forum where you can post a picture before uploading it for some advice as well.

Mellyrose
2006-06-20, 02:07 PM
Tommy is right...there is no favoritism for the paid members...I'm sure you would be reassured if we had a poll for the First Class Members, and how many of them have the exact same rejection problems the rest of us do.

Also, right now I'm limited to upload my image size as 1024. Most of my exposures are 3mb or higher so when resizing the image in photoshop, it still looks good. I'm just not sure what the screeners are looking for in terms of quality.

I'm not sure if this is the answer to the question you are asking, but if there's one thing I've learned from Phil about quality, is the less you have to crop, the better, and therefore the better you get at framing your shots tight, the better quality you'll end up with....even a couple centimeters more of cropping on your computer screen can make all the difference in the final result. Now, when I look through my shots from the day, I know which ones don't even have a chance at being accepted, due to lost quality. Also, most photos are uploaded at 1024px, so you're not at a disadvantage with that.

Hope I've helped a bit! :)

PhilDernerJr
2006-06-20, 02:17 PM
If Mel concentrated on work as opposed to sittin on NYCA all day, she'd be an even BETTER photographer. ;) lol

The advice given here is true. Just because there are people here seem to get photos accepted with ease, we go through a LOT of rejections. WE've beend oing this for years and have adapted to the constantly changing requirement and standards of those photo sites.

I've had my camera for a two and a half years, but before I got it, I spent at least a year jsut learning how to use Photoshop. Learning techniques from Art Brett and getting raw files from Matthew Smith. Once I got my camera, all I had to do was develop my hands and shoot, edit, upload and repeat until I got that.

Bellucciman
2006-06-20, 02:26 PM
Thanks very much for the insight and advice. I really appreciate it! I'll be working on my composition and hopefully it will get better. I've seen the photography from some of the members in here and some of it is just incredible! I want to get that good.
Here's one that was rejected for being soft as well as an unverifiable registration. I had a series of shots of the A319 and I thought that this was a pretty cool shot.

Thanks again
Mike
http://jetphotos.net/images/img2/s/spirit.jpg.12699.jpg

Mellyrose
2006-06-20, 04:05 PM
Don't listen to Phil...I'm great at multi-tasking! He should know that. :P

Your rejection photo didn't show - you aren't able to direct link images from jp. Either host is somewhere else, or just post the link.

PhilDernerJr
2006-06-20, 04:21 PM
Don't listen to Phil...I'm great at multi-tasking! He should know that. :P

My SINCERE apologies for thread-jacking, but MEl is right. She's great at multi-tasking. She manages to sit behind me at home on her laptop, posting on this site AND annoying the **** out of me at SAME TIME! :lol:

NIKV69
2006-06-20, 06:49 PM
My SINCERE apologies for thread-jacking, but MEl is right. She's great at multi-tasking. She manages to sit behind me at home on her laptop, posting on this site AND annoying the **** out of me at SAME TIME!

Now that is multi tasking!

To reiterate every pic uploaded gets a fair shake, I think it's a testament to the anet screeners that even though the queue does take long you can be reassured each screener is giving every shot it's due course, even the really bad ones.

Bellucciman
2006-06-20, 07:20 PM
Sorry about the image not showing up. Not sure what I did wrong. I was zapped with two more rejections from JP. It's starting to look like my dating scene!
The thing that gets me is that I've seen some shots that have been accepted and some of mine are better exposed and sharper. Oh well, I'll keep trying.
Anyway, take a look at these and let me know what you think. Once again, thanks to all for your input.

Mike

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i242/Bellucciman/usairwaysexpress.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i242/Bellucciman/SA-611.jpg

T-Bird76
2006-06-20, 08:06 PM
The Beech 1900 looks really good, watch the cropping a bit, try to center the aircraft a bit more. Nice job on getting the props spinning. The A319 is a strange size, did you not get it centered in the original frame? Try balancing he color to, it has a bit of reddish tint to it. Otherwise if this is your first go at this, dam good job! You will be a force once you get it down pat.

dbudd
2006-07-12, 01:53 PM
I'm not a JPElite member at jetphotos.net but I can get good acceptance rates if I try hard.

This week alone I'm averaging Eight-Three percent. But its a shot that I know works and I've mastered it. For the month I'm only doing Fifty-Three percent accepted but I tried different shots to see what they will accept. It took a long time to get my editing skills honed to where I knew what I was doing.

Keep at it. It's a steep learning curve and you will learn new techniques as you go. I can't tell you what to do but I know what works for me as equipment varies. I shoot Nikon (.jpg) and I use Photoshop CS2.

But one day you will get good results and then stay with it!!

Dave

Bellucciman
2006-07-13, 09:19 PM
Dave, thanks for the input. I've been out there at LGA frequently however I'm still not getting the results that I want. I don't give up so easily, it's just a matter of practice. I will say that I haven't attempted to upload to JP or Anet because I know my images won't be accepted. If I see flaws I know they will too. One of these days I'll get one though!

Mike

dbudd
2006-07-15, 02:13 AM
I had a stab at it..course it's not the original you shot but I think it came out pretty good...what do yoiu think??

http://www.geocities.com/dave_budd/Unti ... nf_100.jpg (http://www.geocities.com/dave_budd/Untitled-2_hnf_100.jpg)

Slight bit blurry...but I think that is becuase you are shooting at 1/350th sec. Try shooting at 1/800 sec. I would set either to shutter mode at 1/800 or Aperture mode set to f/8. I do not know anything about your Mauxxum 7D but try that.

You have CS2...I can send along my action that I use to edit my photos..if you like.

Dave

Bellucciman
2006-07-15, 01:47 PM
Hi Dave,

The image looks good. I'd love to see what steps in PS2 that you took to enhance the photo. I'm also going to show you some of the other images that I think are worthy of posting. Let me know what you think.

Mike

Bellucciman
2006-07-15, 02:00 PM
Here are two that I think could pass, but let me know what you think. I didn't use any of the sharpening filters on these. Any thoughts on how they might be improved?

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i242/Bellucciman/AT6-11.jpg
The JetBlue A320 is one of my favorites.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i242/Bellucciman/jetb01.jpg
I was really lucky that day in June. It was beautiful and I was in a good spot in the Marina.

Bellucciman
2006-07-15, 02:26 PM
I was going to submit this one to JP. I sharpened the image a bit and added density. Let me know what you think! I may try my luck and submit anyway. No harm in trying!

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i242/Bellucciman/Piedmont-1.jpg

dbudd
2006-07-15, 05:26 PM
Still soft...

Can you send me the file as it came out of the camera??

What sharpness setting are you using? I use to use low as I read that you should do all your sharpening in photoshop. I learned that you have to set your camera to normal and only do some sharpening in photoshp!!

Lighting is all on the nose of this shot. It might be worthy!!

Dave

[email protected]

Bellucciman
2006-07-15, 10:16 PM
I sent the original file to you via email. It's a little over 3MB. Let me know what you think.

Mike