PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone listened to ATC on scanner during flight ?

NYARTCCFAN
2006-06-18, 09:36 AM
Any feedback on if anyone snuck a scanner onboard to liten to ATC during their flight? If there are any pilots or airline employs that can confirm if this is allowed during flight ?

Art at ISP
2006-06-18, 10:24 AM
Using any form of radio receiver or transceiver is specifically prohibited aboard airline flights. The only way you can listen is if you're on United and they have channel 9 turned on.

That said, I did use my ICOM ICA21 regularly in flight back in the late 80's. I found that while you could always hear the cockpit transmissions, you could very rarely hear the ATC facility unless you were right above it.

It wound up being more trouble than it was worth.

As I recall, though, AA used to have ATC as well back in the 80's.

Hope this helps.

cancidas
2006-06-18, 11:07 PM
when im a pax on a plane i sleep.... lately more ineresting and productive than sitting up the entire flight to follow it along on a scanner.

K9DEP
2006-06-19, 06:32 AM
You are allowed to listen to your scanner on flights. It does not interrupt equipment because it is only recieving what the aircraft alreday is!
The last time I brought a sacnner on a flight was on Jet Blue's first E190 flight to Boston and no one said anything. Even after we landed I was talking to one of the Captains and the check airman guy and he said "go ahead"(referring to the use of the scanner). I have been on United only since then and have not had to worry about any ATC listening. But just bring it, before the flight walk up to the cockpit and ask!

Art at ISP
2006-06-19, 09:25 AM
K9,

B6 aside, major airlines do ban the use of any receiving devices as they could cause harmonics which may interfere with on board systems. I believe your experience was the exception rather than the rule.

Then again, video cameras are not approved for use in flight, especially takeoff and landing, but it looks like FL350.com is not wanting for material either.

SengaB
2006-06-19, 11:38 AM
Greetings,
SNUCK? That makes it sounds like you are doing something you shouldn't be doing.
If I am correct you can use electronic devices above 10,000ft. I have also heard this many times on the planes "After reaching 10K you can use your elec devices. This doesn't help you out much because by then you don't know what freqs they are on by then. Before 9-11 I frequently used my scanners on flights and tuned in them during flights. It would be reckless and irresponsible to do this now because of the PAX, FA concerns. I don't think it would go over very well and you would probably have people waiting for you at the gates.

On one UAL 727 flight before 9-11 an FA saw me using my scanner and wanted to take it to the captain. After he looked at it he put in his next ARTCC freq in it for me :)

But now. I bring my scanners with me for using them when I am off the planes and photographing them form around airport. I don't think its wise to use them in aircraft with our current climate.

Senga

Ari707
2006-06-19, 11:47 AM
I never used a scanner but once tried an FM radio over europe on a flt to TLV, picked up a few stations none to clear

SengaB
2006-06-19, 01:38 PM
Wow thats in idea. I had a Weather radio with me once time and was picking up the local NOAA stations as we pased over them. It was amazing how fast the stations changed while flying in an aircraft.

Senga

Art at ISP
2006-06-19, 04:05 PM
Guys,

Not to be a nitpicker, but the electronic devices announcement refers to approved electronic devices, and if you check any of the major airline magazines, receiving devices are NOT approved.

That said, as I stated before, I am sure it has been and will continue to be done, but unless you can get the antenna right up against the window (and then only marginally), the reception of ground stations will be next to nil...

Best regards,

Art

T-Bird76
2006-06-19, 04:11 PM
Guys,

Not to be a nitpicker, but the electronic devices announcement refers to approved electronic devices, and if you check any of the major airline magazines, receiving devices are NOT approved.

That said, as I stated before, I am sure it has been and will continue to be done, but unless you can get the antenna right up against the window (and then only marginally), the reception of ground stations will be next to nil...

Best regards,

Art

Art is correct, TV's and radios are not allowed to be in use during a flight. Someone above said video camera's can't be used but they an over 10,000 feet. Why concern yourself anyway with a scanner in flight, just sit back and enjoy a drink, hehe

SengaB
2006-06-19, 10:44 PM
I think we need to find out extactly what the FAA states as a reciving device. You would be suprised!
Drink? now thats no fun Tommy! :)
Senga