PDA

View Full Version : A Newbie Hello

tristar
2006-06-15, 08:49 AM
Like Jeff, I too have been watching aircraft for years. It's nice to meet other "ramp rats" and see the article in the Times.

I haven't explored the NYC airports much as they all seem somewhat inaccessable (I live in Manhattan with no car), but I'll be keeping an eye on this site and try to trek out to one of your meets one day.

My favorite plane spotting area was at FLL, which had a parimeter road that circled the field. We'd park the car under the last set of approach lights, just a few yards west of the runway 9L threshold. I don't think you can get there anymore (post 9-11), but at the time, you couldn't get any closer to the action.

My friend and I used to stand on the hood of the car, our faces poking up above the blast fence, and watch the old 727s rev up for the take off roll. Hot jet blast and runway soot would woosh up and kick you in the face.
Loved it! The old, noisy jets were the best.

Equally fun was when the old widebodies (l-1011/DC-10) would fly overhead, sometimes a bit short. You could see the rivits they were so low. I often wondered if the pilots could see us standing there, especially at night when we were illuminated in a bright white wash of their landing lights.

Anyway....good times. I hope to meet you all some day.

-Peter
Tristar Guy

NIKV69
2006-06-15, 09:36 AM
Welcome Pete! Good to have a guy here that appreciates the oldies.

PhilDernerJr
2006-06-15, 10:39 AM
Welcome aboard Peter!! Glad to have you. :)