PDA

View Full Version : F-22 Scores direct hit during supersonice testing..

Midnight Mike
2006-06-14, 11:31 PM
F-22 RAPTOR SCORES DIRECT HIT IN TESTING OF SUPERSONIC, HIGH-ALTITUDE JDAM DROP(50,000ft.drop)
lockheedmartin.com ^

Posted on 06/13/2006 10:15:56 AM PDT by MARKUSPRIME

A U.S. Air Force F-22 Raptor air dominance fighter, flying at a speed of Mach 1.5 and an altitude of 50,000 feet, released a GPS-aided Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM) from a range of 24 nautical miles, destroying a small ground target in the F-22's fastest and highest JDAM delivery yet.This was another milestone testing event for the Combined Test Force of Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT], The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] and U.S. Air Force pilots who conducted the joint developmental and operational test in early May at White Sands Missile Range, N.M., using a 1,000-pound Mk-83 JDAM with live warhead supplied by Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.

The ability to release a munition at supersonic speeds and standoff ranges greatly enhances the aircrew's survivability against heavily defended targets.

“We've already demonstrated the airplane's ability to operate with virtual impunity in the air-to-air realm and have had many successful JDAM deliveries previously, but successfully attacking a ground target at this speed, altitude and standoff range with a live weapon shows that to be true in the air-to-ground mission as well,” said pilot Lt. Col. Raymond

“Buzz” Toth following the test. “The Raptor is ready to fight and is uniquely capable of supporting Air Force and Joint Command objectives against any enemy.”

USAF Pilot 07
2006-06-14, 11:57 PM
I've talked with a few Raptor drivers (ex-Eagle pilots) who all could not stop beaming about the airplane's performance.
There was one scenario where 1 F22 was taking on 5 F15's and was able to shoot down the F15s well before the F15s could even get the F22 on radar.

We've had a few 22 flyovers here, and they are really impressive to watch fly, especially with the thrust vectoring. Glad to hear this latest test was a great success!

Steven Holzinger
2006-06-15, 05:54 PM
If you guys ever get a chance to meet Lt.Col. Michael "Dozer" Shower, he will talk to you for hours on end about how good the Raptor is and such. He's the one who is doing the Raptor flybys at airshows this year and is also Heritage Flight qualified in the F-22.

Matt Molnar
2006-06-15, 06:27 PM
I've read stories about how impressive the guidance on JDAMs have been in Afghanistan (i.e. CIA guys half jokingly complaining to the Air Force guys that they missed their targets by 18 inches), but I didn't realize they were capable of this. Are other aircraft able to drop from this high and this fast or is the F-22 the first?

Nick
2006-06-19, 12:43 PM
This fast, don't think so.

PhilDernerJr
2006-06-20, 10:47 AM
This fast, don't think so.

Which are you doubting?

Nick
2006-06-20, 12:17 PM
A supersonic drop by any aircraft before this one.