PDA

View Full Version : Just saying "Hello"

Photofpd
2006-06-12, 07:54 AM
Hi,
I just joined after seeing the story about spotting in the Tmes this weekend. Thought I was the only one sneeking of to see the planes.
My normal place was in long beach, at the boardwalk in late afternoon to watch the approch for 31l/r or after a few hunting sections finding and sitting at the outer marker of 31-L by the water. Nice quite street with a
good view. I have watched the Lga approch from the park by the Gcp.
I also can watch the approch to runway 4 from my job in Astoria.
I'm more into the communications aspect of avation, Although I am a photographer, I never really thought of taking shots of aircraft.
I like to listen to The approch and tower freq for both LGA and JFK.
JFK is most of the time more interesting, more accents and hyper talk among pilots. LGA is good for missed approches and wierd landings.
I have seen some interesting aircraft in my travels. A stopover in Barbados yielded a takeoff of a British SST while I WAS STANDING ON THE TARMAC. Happened Too fast and without warning to shoot.
The ground shook and the noise was deafening,, everyone was looking around for the source of the earthquake.
The second best was seeing the Russian cargo aircraft in Antiqua.
Deplaned 50 feet from it, You just can't tell how big this thing was till you stand next to it. When I first saw it I was like " Oh ****" what the hell is that? I was ready to take some shots, Got permission to go back to the tarmac when the guard at the gate said I would have to ask the guy holding the AK-47 by the plane to take a closeup, He didn't look too nice, so I relented.
Its nice to see I'm not quite alone in my strange hobby. I also see quite a few postings where cops are questioning "Shooting" Planes. I never had a problem yet. I Do have one advantage, I'm a "Buff with a Badge."
I'm on vacation the week after this and would love to say "Hi" to you guys. I always have my scanner with me, I've got tons of freqs. You never know the players with out a score card.
Jeff

Matt Molnar
2006-06-12, 08:40 AM
Welcome aboard, Jeff!

PhilDernerJr
2006-06-12, 10:50 AM
Jeff, welcome!

Great intro post. I really hope you come on out to join us sometime. If there is anything you need let us know.

Glad you enjoyed the article.

-Phil

Midnight Mike
2006-06-12, 11:44 AM
Jeff

Welcome to the club. I noticed that you are from Deer Park, I grew up in Deer Park......

lijk604
2006-06-12, 12:48 PM
Jeff,

Welcome to the gang!

John
Patchogue, NY