PDA

View Full Version : Ferry flight JFK-LGA

Mellyrose
2006-05-14, 01:43 AM
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL9659

They probably had to get clearance to land before they even were #1 in line for take-off! :wink:

But seriously, does anyone know how that works?

PhilDernerJr
2006-05-14, 01:44 AM
I'm assuming this was an empty repositioning flight.

I would love to fly on an empty JFK-LGA or LGA-JFK flight.

Matt Molnar
2006-05-14, 01:47 AM
I know in Microsoft Flight Simulator, after you're done with JFK Tower, they pass you on to New York Approach briefly, who clears you to the approach you'll be using, in this case ILS 4, and then you contact LGA Tower for clearance to land.

727C47
2006-05-14, 07:41 AM
anything low level over NY/NJ is great fun, I did EWR-BOS back in Jan,we blasted at sunset on a CAVU days night,flew over Manhattan at 8000, didn't climb higher than 10K till over the sound, landed at BOS with the days last light just kissing the western horizon!

AA 777
2006-05-15, 01:07 PM
For AA to be ferrying a Maddog from JFK to LGA it means that something had to go wrong somewhere along the line. AA has no regular Super 80's at JFK it must have been a diversion that was repositioning to LGA.

Alex T
2006-05-15, 01:12 PM
hahah the duration was 2 minutes

the shortest flight i ever took mainline was AA MD80 STL-MDH only a 7 minute flight. That was awesome.

Alex

jfklganyc
2006-06-05, 07:31 PM
It happens quite a bit with AA.

I've flown the ERJ a few times between JFK and LGA. It's actually longer than you think. After takeoff from JFK we turned towards Coney Island and entered the pattern for LGA over the Verazzano. Up the River, over the Bronx and Westchester for the LDA-A to 22.

Total flight was like 13 minutes. Long story short, if there was no traffic on the Van Wyck, it would have been quicker to drive.

But I have heard stories of a take off on 31L at JFK an a direct final to 31 at LGA. Total flight time 2-3 minutes. Now that's cool!

Incidentally, when there is weather and delays at LGA, many planes divert to JFK. They then have to ferry back to LGA.

One day waiting for takeoff on 4L at JFK, I watched an AA 738 taxi into position and hold. Tower said, "AA Flight 123, we can't let you takeoff. LGA Tower called, there is no room on the field for anymore aircraft."

Never heard that before.

PJ

PhilDernerJr
2006-06-05, 08:00 PM
PJ,

Good post! Good to see you.

I've flown the 31L to 31 flight i Flight Sim, but how high would the pilot's even go on a flight liek that? 2,000ft maybe?

I'd love to see a flight like that on flightaware, just a backwards S over Queens.

FlyDeltaJets
2006-06-09, 03:22 PM
A Delta pilot told me that the flight takes like 30 to 40 min because they have to depart over Jersey and then come back and approach LGA like a reg flight.