PDA

View Full Version : Ticks at the Mounds

PhilDernerJr
2006-05-03, 11:32 PM
Apparently, even though we checked ourselves, Mel and I found a tick in our laundry on a piece of clothing from the day we went to the Mounds.

I think it's time we consider forgetting that place to use for spotting in any warm months. Safety is more important.

SengaB
2006-05-03, 11:36 PM
I have never had a problem with Ticks there. Maybe you have the blood type they desire :)
I'm more concerned about Bayswater and those Blasted Flesh Craving Fruitflies.

Senga

PhilDernerJr
2006-05-03, 11:41 PM
I remember standing on the mounds one day last year when Senga pointed out "Uh, Phil, I think there's a tick on your shirt." Sure enough, he was crawling upward and it took a while to get it off.

During that day I found two others on me.

Later that day at dinner with everyone, Kristina was sitting there when a tick crawled out from her cleavage and started making its way towards her neck. Funny, but scary.

USAF Pilot 07
2006-05-04, 12:01 AM
Ugh, ticks are no fun... Definately not worth it...

Tom_Turner
2006-05-04, 12:21 AM
Typically tics are found on brush/"low" weeds (up to six feet or so). Unfortunately they are on the loosestrife (sp?)/water reeds and other weeds on the mounds which is infested.

They particularly cling to jeans so I would suggest wearing light or white clothing there so the tics can be more easily seen and removed.

Some will say you cannot get lyme disease from the variety that seem to be found in our areas, but people come down with that disease often enough, so I consider all tics to be avoided for that reason alone apart from how gross they are. (for anyone that doesn't know, or has not had dogs roam free in the country side, all tics will want to eventually burrow into -- and under - your skin and spend a few days there where they will suck up your blood and increase their size about 6 fold or more..)

Tics are quick to hitch a ride, but very slow to "get to work" and you have plenty of time to remove them from your clothing or even after you get home should they be on your skin ...but you HAVE TO CHECK thorougly...

You won't pick up ticks from grass or trees. If you stay in the open at places like Bayswater you should be fine, although the biting flies are unbearable some years.

T-Bird76
2006-05-04, 02:12 PM
Next time we're there perhaps we should drop some Agent Orange and clear the place out?

NIKV69
2006-05-04, 02:29 PM
I am still going to spot there. Just wear long pants instead of shorts and check yourself from head to toe after you leave.

Eric Daniel Smith
2006-05-04, 03:10 PM
I deal with ticks in Arkansas all the time. Just wear extra bug repellant and do a thorough check afterword, I recommend it be while taking a shower so you can see yourself...all of yourself.

PhilDernerJr
2006-05-04, 03:19 PM
Checking yourself thoroughly includes the outside AND inside of your clothes as well as your body.

Mellyrose
2006-05-04, 04:12 PM
We did that though....we wore long pants and long sleeves...checked ourselves in the shower, and one STILL managed to hop into the laundry. That's ok...the little ****er is toasty and down the drain now.

Eric Daniel Smith
2006-05-04, 06:37 PM
Also, from what I've noticed ticks for the most part stay on the surface of your skin, only puncturing it to suck your blood but they don't go under (they're pretty big, you'd notice). The things that do get under the skin, we call those chiggars...itchy little ****ers they are.

Tom_Turner
2006-05-04, 08:34 PM
<<The things that do get under the skin, we call those chiggars...itchy little ****ers they are.>>

Eric -
Whatever their name, "chiggars" then - is what we have at the mounds.

They're quite small.

Tom

T-Bird76
2006-05-04, 09:32 PM
I have never had a problem with Ticks there. Maybe you have the blood type they desire :)
I'm more concerned about Bayswater and those Blasted Flesh Craving Fruitflies.

Senga

Your right Senga, we were at Bayswater today for a bit and good god the bugs were horrible!!

Tom_Turner
2006-05-04, 09:37 PM
<<we were at Bayswater today for a bit and good god the bugs were horrible!!>>

Some years are worse than others there. Perhaps it has to do with how many rotting fish and bait is left out?

Eric Daniel Smith
2006-05-04, 09:55 PM
<<The things that do get under the skin, we call those chiggars...itchy little ****ers they are.>>

Eric -
Whatever their name, "chiggars" then - is what we have at the mounds.

They're quite small.

Tom

wear extra bug repellent it should keep them out.