PDA

View Full Version : Kiss your rights to photograph goodbye!

FlyingColors
2006-04-17, 07:04 PM
Whats needed is some sort of coalition to give photographers some sane recognition to the public and local authorities.

All I'm possibly suggesting is we as photographers can find a common ground with this struggle from others that photograph:

Trains
Boats
Birds, all kinds of animals.
Landscapes, sunsets, cityscape's, flowers, rivers, fall foliage,etc.
Indoor and outdoor architecture.
Weather, storms, etc.
News subjects: car wrecks, fires, parades, riots, etc.
Anything outdoor!

And I'm sure I left out tons of stuff!

Seems the only photographed subjects that are immune are:
Kids and family, weddings.
Sports
Nude...and that's about it!

This is where we could unite with others in this fight for our rights!

The ACLU, camera clubs and stores (B and H) could possibly be a huge asset and allies to the specific cause.
Will camera stores sales start to stall?
Will Nikon or Canon provide an attorney if arrested?

Perhaps we need to hold a first ever meeting about this.

FlyingColors
2006-05-01, 08:36 PM
Shame with all the talent here this thread is a lost waif.

Tick tock tick tock...

mirrodie
2006-05-02, 09:22 PM
well the easy way to meet would be over a bbq or slideshow :)

but i like arts approach...basically its irish diplomacy...he told the cop to hang on while he got his shot. that is simply priceless.

Irish Diplomacy: the ability to tell a man to go to Hell in such a way that he'll look forward to the trip.

T-Bird76
2006-05-02, 10:02 PM
Mike I don't think the thread is lost. From my perspective I read this when you posted it and agree that we need to be proactive but I wasn't sure exactly how to respond.

Its hard sometimes as freelancers to take a stand because as you pointed out we are on our own. I've been doing some research on organizations and photojournalist groups for Freelancers that can lend a hand and provide us with a little more respect and pull. One that I seem to be leaning towards has a good reputation and offers photographers some decent services. Below is a link. In the end however the most powerful thing we have in our pockets is the Constitution. As long as we're on public property there is nothing any law enforcement officer can do to us, and that's what we can stand on.

http://internationalpress.com

FlyingColors
2006-05-03, 11:03 AM
Very true both of you.

Just trying to obtain all of us a little more DIGNITY in the public eye.

T-Bird76
2006-05-03, 11:21 AM
Very true both of you.

Just trying to obtain all of us a little more DIGNITY in the public eye.

Sadly I don't think we'll ever have a high level of dignity in the public's eye. I think it stems from the paparazzi trying to get the picture they want, I guess in a way they might look at us in the same way. Lastly remember people are just dumb. We know at the end of a great day of shooting that we did nothing wrong and engaged in a hobby that all enjoy even with the bumps along the way.

NIKV69
2006-05-09, 09:06 AM
Tommy has a point. Not only that but most people in the public don't understand photography at all and seeing someone near an airport doing anything out of the norm is going to result in a call to the police. I think the problem is not so much that but the treatment we sometimes get once approached. It's only a small percentage of the time but it is still trampling our rights as US citizens. If it continues to deteriorate we will have to do something.

AAGold
2006-05-09, 09:57 AM
Mike, I hear ya! If only we lived in a perfect world, wouldn't it be nice. My only fear in organizing the group to fight this is that it may work to our disadvantage. For example, if we approach the officials about being harrassed in a public park while taking photos, the result might be that they post a sign saying "photography not allowed." Which would be worse? Getting harrassed by the authorities or being banned? That's the delima. If they banned us from taking pics at Howard Beach or Bayswater, for example, you could probably fight it in court and win, but the time and expense would be ridiculous. I'd be dead by the time it is resolved and you'd be an old man and gray.

So, we just live with it. To bad it can't be like AMS where there aren't even fences between you and the runway. :(

Art

2006-05-10, 12:49 PM
This issue needs to be addressed very soon. It is currently illegal to take pictures in many public buildings. It is also illegal to photograph any train or subway in NYC. While I understand the basis for this law it really amounts to nothing. Someone intent on causing harm will not be taking pictures in an obvious manner, they will conceal their actions and equipment regardless of any laws. The only thing the law accomplishes is to prevent legitimate tourists and aficionados from being able to exercise their constitutional rights. While there needs to be compromise with our rights and our safety, photography should be the least of our worries.

mikephotos
2006-05-10, 01:00 PM
It is also illegal to photograph any train or subway in NYC.

IIRC, this is no longer true. In fact, just last week I saw several tourist taking pictures on the platform and subway car with an officer in the area, no problems.

Mike

Matt Molnar
2006-05-10, 03:32 PM
It is also illegal to photograph any train or subway in NYC.

IIRC, this is no longer true. In fact, just last week I saw several tourist taking pictures on the platform and subway car with an officer in the area, no problems.

Mike

It was actually never illegal to photograph. A ban was proposed last year but was never implimented.

mikephotos
2006-05-10, 04:15 PM
It was actually never illegal to photograph. A ban was proposed last year but was never implimented.

It might not have been officially implimeted but transit cops were enforcing the ban during that time of the proposal. I recall a few incidents where people were approached (I'm on six subway trains daily) by NYPD and told they could not take pictures (hmmm sounds familar). The protests quickly put a stop to it, thank god.

Mike