PDA

View Full Version : Three Years Old, & Soon To Be Gone..

fly.mcs
2006-04-15, 01:13 AM
Today, Song celebrates 3 years of service! On 15 April 2003, Song, Operated by Delta Air Lines, served its first revenue flight from New York (JFK) to West Palm Beach (PBI), operating as flight DAL2451 under the registration of N67171.

I had the pleasure of flying with Song in February 2004. On 06 February 2004, I boarded DAL2553 which operated from New York (JFK) to Tampa (TPA); the registration was N6712B. On my return leg, I was given the opportunity to fly on aircraft N67171. The aircraft operated from Tampa (TPA) to New York (LGA) as DAL2546 on 08 February 2004. Overall, I was very pleased with the service aboard Song. The "Song Talent" were very enthusiastic and kind, making for two wonderful flights. Additionally, the PTVs are a great touch as well as the aircraft's colorful interior. Not to mention, the food for purchase was pretty good.

Unfortunately, Song will be merging back with mainline Delta on May 1, 2006. I will surely miss seeing the Song aircraft color the skies. You were my number one LCC Song; I'll miss you :cry: But looking on the bright side, this will make Delta a better airline! :lol:

T-Bird76
2006-04-15, 08:28 AM
Your not really missing anything, their entire product is going to be rolled into Delta's fleet and expanded. Song was doomed from the start, first thing they are not an LCC.

The term LCC is generally used incorrectly and most often referees to low fares and not costs. Song by no means was a low cost airline, their prices were the same as mainline Delta, AA, UAL, jetBlue, and others alike. Low cost in industry terms refers to the carriers operating expenses which would have meant Song was a HCC "high cost carrier" (being sarcastic). Songs operating expenses were the same and higher in some areas as mainline Delta, pilots, FAs, ground staff all were on the same pay scale as Delta mainline. Song cost more to operate because there was separate marketing, branding, MX, and amenities added over Delta mainline.

While Song was certainly a good product, and the best Delta flying experience I ever had. Delta simply went about it the wrong way and just added more debt to their bottom line.

i_mizrahi
2006-04-18, 02:33 AM
There is no doubt in my mind that the elimination of Song was the right thing to do from DL point of view. But I also think that, generally speaking, DL is being managed, in the last few years, and especially since the bankruptcy thing, in a terrible manner, which is likely to bring it to the the airlines' cemetary soon.

It is not enough to cut pilots' wages. You need to market yourself and prove that you can survive in this jungle of the airline industry. So far DL hasn't done that.

Izhar

JRadier
2006-04-18, 09:10 AM
I loved flying song RSW-JFK last year, but the only added value were the PTV's. For the rest I didn't notice much difirences (apart from the brand) with mainline DL (ATL-RSW a week earlier).