PDA

View Full Version : NYCAviation Gets Favoritism on Anet?

PhilDernerJr
2006-04-08, 11:13 AM
Before you read this thread, Matt Lyons emailed me and let me know that he was using my photo as a reference,and meant no disrespect in postingit. He didn't know if the error was a technical one or human error.

The problem comes from "AAFLT1871", who insists that NYCAviation shooters receive favoritism.

Very flattering in my eyes, but I think my acceptance ratio as of late would prove otherwise. lol

Here's the thread:

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/si ... ain/48251/ (http://www.airliners.net/discussions/site_related/read.main/48251/)

T-Bird76
2006-04-08, 11:24 AM
Gotta say it here since A.net will delete it, what a total ass!

Midnight Mike
2006-04-08, 11:33 AM
Wow, what a rude & stupid comment to say.

Kind of funny, that the screener answered the question, which is to say a hot photo is only hot on that day, how many photos were submitted already? So, the airliners.net stuck the photo to the back of the que, what more can be said....

UrbanExplorer222
2006-04-08, 11:43 AM
AAFLT1871 is just bitching because his photo didn't get priority screening.. waa waa :cry: This guy needs to shut up

jakbar
2006-04-08, 12:06 PM
Let's throw this comment into the mix and see what you think...

I uploaded my PSA shot from that same day when I got home, and I don't even think Phil was home yet to edit and upload his. I had left early from our spotting get-together to go get a haircut, so when I got home I figured why not give it a try for priority screening. Within 5 minutes, I got a reject message stating "this plane does not qualify for priority screening. please upload through normal process." Then, to my surprise, several hours later, Phil's shot is accepted. Go figure.

I don't really care one way or another, but when such inconsistent results are coming from the screeners on a routine basis, one wonders why it is that they can't keep these kinds of simple things -- i.e., what is deserving of priority screening and what isn't -- clear for all screeners. Oh well.

BTW, I surely receive no "favoritism" from the screeners. My shots are rejected just like anyone else's.

PhilDernerJr
2006-04-08, 12:55 PM
I certainly don't think that I received any favoritism, but Josh's situation certainly does add a twist.

I uploaded mine that night at around 10pm or so, if I recall correctly. I'm sure Josh did upload it before me.

I think it's cler that it's just the human inconsistency issue with some screeners not knowing what's what. But when you have a team of volunteers from all over the world, it can be tough sometimes to keep everyone on the same page.

jakbar
2006-04-08, 01:02 PM
I guess the positive part of this story is that NYCAviation is becoming recognized all throughout the spotting community as being synonomous with a group of talented, prolific photographers.

USAF Pilot 07
2006-04-08, 01:17 PM
I can see where Matt Lyons is coming from, and I'm glad that he doesn't think NYCAviation members get priority, but there are so many factors involved in the upload process (from what I understand) that it's very likely his photo wasn't deemed priority or accepted quickly for many reasons other than just because Phil represents NYCAviation.

AAFLT1871 just sounds bitter about something, probably his own problems uploading photos.

On a positive note, it's good to see the NYCAviation name has gotten around to spotters all over the world.
As they say, any publicity is good publicity!

LGA777
2006-04-08, 03:12 PM
Well here's my story. Because of a bizzy week I did not get to upload my first shot (and I have lots) of N742PS to a.net until Friday evening April 7.

I had not read the attached a.net thread and I had not uploaded anything newsworthy to a.net since the little priority screen box was added. So last night I submitted my first photo of 742, checked the priority screening box but in the commnets to screeners box I put (not sure if this still qualifies for priority screening or not ? If it does great, if not can it please stay in the que for regular screening ? Thanks ) I don't think my request was to unreasonable. But alas not three mins later my photo was rejected for me selecting priority screening. Not to be a dick but would it have been that BIG a deal for the screener just to have followed my meager request and let it stay in the regular que? I had to go somewhere with my wife so when I reuloaded it now has several hundred more photos in front of it. I guess a.net taught me a lesson, again ! BTW here is the message !

The screener(s) decided to include a personal message to you about these
photo(s). Please scroll down to read this message.

-----------------------------------------------------------

A total of 1 photos processed.

A comment from the screener regarding this upload:
"please use the regular upload"

and the photo

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ ... 2APR06.jpg (http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/N742PS_1_KLGA_02APR06.jpg)

Cheers

LGA777

PhilDernerJr
2006-04-08, 03:46 PM
One thing I must say about the "please upload to regular que" thing is that is a technical web programming issue. If the photo is uploaded with the priority button checked, and rejected, the screener is not at all able to put it into the regular queue. There is no "reupload" option, as far as I know.

The only way to fix that is to have Johan create a button that allows the screener to reject it and then put it into the regular queue.

NIKV69
2006-04-08, 03:46 PM
The problem comes from "AAFLT1871", who insists that NYCAviation shooters receive favoritism

I saw this as well. A totally useless comment which no doubt comes from the contant propaganda that many spew in av-photo about the screeners.

Let's throw this comment into the mix and see what you think...

I uploaded my PSA shot from that same day when I got home, and I don't even think Phil was home yet to edit and upload his. I had left early from our spotting get-together to go get a haircut, so when I got home I figured why not give it a try for priority screening. Within 5 minutes, I got a reject message stating "this plane does not qualify for priority screening. please upload through normal process." Then, to my surprise, several hours later, Phil's shot is accepted. Go figure.

I don't really care one way or another, but when such inconsistent results are coming from the screeners on a routine basis, one wonders why it is that they can't keep these kinds of simple things -- i.e., what is deserving of priority screening and what isn't -- clear for all screeners. Oh well.

This is so true, the fact that the screeners are not in a central location and from the looks of it correspond via email just breeds this type of problem.
I would think something like this epsiode would make them aware that the priority system needs some tweaking.

All in all we can ignore AAFLT1871 since he is basically a non-issue. He chose to use this site in his totally empty propaganda, hopefully most will realize that he is totally offbase.