PDA

View Full Version : Delta starts ORD service from Marine Air Terminal

T-Bird76
2006-04-03, 01:32 PM
Delta announced today that it will begin offering new non-stop service between LGA and ORD from the Marine Air Terminal connecting three of the nations busiest business centers together. The service will be offered on E170 jets flown by Shuttle America and begin today. The E170 will be two class and ORD will be served 5 times a day.

USAF Pilot 07
2006-04-03, 05:47 PM
Yea I saw the signs leading up to the Delta Terminal yesterday that all ORD flights left from the Marine Air Terminal, but I didn't see any E170's over there...

Matt Molnar
2006-04-03, 11:27 PM
They announced it at the Mets game today. Delta is one of Shea's bigger advertisers. They sponsor the opening day schedule magnets every year.

PhilDernerJr
2006-04-03, 11:28 PM
Delta had a booth at the game today. A van with the Deltaflot tail attached to the back and people dressed up as airplanes.

USAF Pilot 07
2006-04-04, 02:25 AM
Delta had a booth at the game today. A van with the Deltaflot tail attached to the back and people dressed up as airplanes.

I didn't see it, but just thinking of this makes me picture a team from the TV show "The Apprentice" with this as their task!

mirrodie
2006-04-04, 02:20 PM
What is so great about this service? Sounds like AA's ridiculously busy route, no?
Just wondering.

Ari707
2006-04-04, 02:46 PM
AA and UA....

Ari707
2006-04-04, 02:57 PM
it looks like both AA and UA have 10 flights each between LGA and ORD.

that's a lot of competition for DL.

cancidas
2006-04-04, 02:57 PM
while i was driving a set of stairs to a gate to get it set up for a flight this morning i noticed N862RW sitting out on the B taxiway in line for TO. this was roughly at 0715 this morning. then, at around 1425 i saw the same airplane in position on rwy 4, again awaiting TO. i guess DL started EMB-170 service at LGA!!! :)

AA 777
2006-04-04, 07:09 PM

Actually its a lot more than that....

AA has 19 daily LGA-ORD flights and UA has 15 daily LGA-ORD flights....not to forget ATA's flights to MDW!

One reason for Delta starting the LGA-ORD as well as LGA-DFW could be retaliation for AA starting 5 daily LGA-ATL flights...

T-Bird76
2006-04-04, 08:40 PM

AA has 19 daily LGA-ORD flights and UA has 15 daily LGA-ORD flights....not to forget ATA's flights to MDW!

One reason for Delta starting the LGA-ORD as well as LGA-DFW could be retaliation for AA starting 5 daily LGA-ATL flights...

I'm not sure I agree with that entirely, Delta is positioning themselves as they stated to enhance their NYC service with the business traveler in mind. The ORD flights from the Shuttle terminal are a great way of linking three of the most important East Coast cities to ORD. Plus using the E170 in a two class config certainly is better then AA's service to ATL.

AA 777
2006-04-04, 08:47 PM
[quote=Ari707]it looks like both AA and UA have 10 flights each between LGA and ORD.

I'm not sure I agree with that entirely, Delta is positioning themselves as they stated to enhance their NYC service with the business traveler in mind. The ORD flights from the Shuttle terminal are a great way of linking three of the most important East Coast cities to ORD. Plus using the E170 in a two class config certainly is better then AA's service to ATL.[/quote:472c3]

AA offers 3x S80 with First class to ATL along with 2x ERJ....How is that worse than DL's LGA-ORD with two classes?

Ari707
2006-04-05, 10:06 AM
if DL is trying to link BOS LGA and DCA to ORD they are also competeing with direct flights from BOS and DCA which to me makes this move look even worse, how many business travlers will fly the shuttle to LGA then trans to the flight to ORD rather then just a non-stop from BOS or DC???

T-Bird76
2006-04-07, 10:20 AM
AA offers 3x S80 with First class to ATL along with 2x ERJ....How is that worse than DL's LGA-ORD with two classes?

In terms of what aircraft are being used on the route the E170 is head over heels better then the smaller E135/145s, that's not even debatably. As for the 80s being used by AA they are certainly more comfortable then the smaller E jets but the 170s do have the lead in terms of being newer, having a fresh air system vs the 80s recycled air, and overall being a quieter ride.

As for service standards, Delta's amenities at the their Shuttle Terminal are 100 times better then AA's two concourses at LGA which as a business traveler who recently (this week) flew AA out of concourse D feels AA should be ashamed of the condition of these wings. The Shuttle terminal is setup very similar to U.S's Shuttle terminal giving travelers a club feel with quality eateries, shops, and seating. AA's operations and waiting areas are poor at best.

As for service standards I can't speak for Delta but AA is bottom of the barrel, no question. I've flown their 757s three times this year and they’re simply total disgrace. Stained carpets, garbage on the floor, lights not working, first class seats that AA should pay you to sit in. It totally blows my mind that on the same flight on Southwest and US to south Florida you get a cleaner plane, more food and drink (free snack boxes and trail mix on WN and a selection of snacks on US in first), and IMO a better boarding process. Here's an example of AA's boarding process "Zones 1, 2, may board (10 seconds later), zones 3, 4, may board, (5 seconds later) all zones may board." Why even have a zone system if you don't use it correctly, it turns into a total cluster **** getting on the plane. The only thing AA has going for them is their route structure, you pretty much can go anywhere at anytime of the day. You'll be miserable getting there but you'll get there.

While I'm not a huge fan of Delta either they've done a much better job linking three important business cities together and giving their business customers a comfortable experience at the airport and during the flight.