PDA

View Full Version : The A380 passed the evac test

Midnight Mike
2006-03-26, 12:53 PM
Translated text that is talking about the success of the A380 evacuation exerise:

The gigantic airplane A380 passed with successes Sunday to Hamburg (north) his first discharge exercise life-size, 873 persons having succeeded go out of the airbus in 80 seconds, 10 seconds of less that hoped, announced the European builder.

Jonesbeach
2006-03-26, 03:22 PM
Unbelievable! I would have loved to watch it though.

Ari707
2006-03-27, 10:11 AM
HAMBURG, Germany (AP) -- Thirty-three people were injured during a crucial evacuation drill for the new Airbus A380 superjumbo jet.

One man broke his leg and 32 other people suffered minor injuries during Sunday's exercise in which 853 people and 20 crew members from airline Lufthansa exited the plane on slides in a darkened hangar.

Aviation authorities mandate specific evacuation times for jet models, and the drill was a critical test for the jet, which will be the world's largest passenger model when it begins commercial service.

The double-deck A380 can hold as many 873 people, including crew.

Despite the injuries, Airbus said the plane passed its test, with everybody out of the airplane in about 80 seconds.

The European Aviation Safety Agency will confirm the test results this week. If the agency decides the test was a failure, the simulation would be repeated next Saturday.

Airbus had said that bringing 650 people out of the plane within 90 seconds would have been sufficient to meet safety requirements.

"That was a very great success," Airbus manager Gustav Humbert said after the test at its factory in the north German city of Hamburg.

Some of the injured suffered friction burns from sliding down the escape ramps, Airbus spokesman Tore Prang said.

Construction problems have delayed the introduction of the A380, the largest passenger plane in the world. So far, 16 customers have ordered 159 of the planes and the first examples were to go to Singapore Airlines at the end of the year.

Of the plane's 16 exits, just eight were used in the drill, which was mandatory for the A380 to receive its safety certification, Prang said.

Though the simulation was conducted inside a hangar, he said Airbus sought to make it as realistic as possible, strewing debris in the aisles.

Singapore Airlines is scheduled to take the first A380 delivery by year's end

Matt Molnar
2006-03-27, 10:49 AM
One man broke his leg and 32 other people suffered minor injuries during Sunday's exercise in which 853 people and 20 crew members from airline Lufthansa exited the plane on slides in a darkened hangar

Despite the injuries, Airbus said the plane passed its test, with everybody out of the airplane in about 80 seconds.

Yay. So it doesn't matter if all 873 people are half dead when you get to the ground, as long as they're off.

Ari707
2006-03-27, 11:52 AM
better half dead then all dead!

T-Bird76
2006-03-27, 02:41 PM
Honestly I can't imagine how realistic these tests are. You have a totally intact plane in a hangar, ok a dark hangar. Even with debris in the aisle the reality is there's no cause for concern in the passengers mind so its easy to follow orders from the crew. I wonder if psychological effects of being in a real incident are taken into account in these tests. Here's novel idea fill a plane with convicts crash it and see what really happens. There convicts anyway, LOL A bit to extreme perhaps??? LOL

Alex T
2006-03-27, 02:48 PM
Another thing to think about as well is this aircraft was used in assuming there was a safe landing or a crash landing where the plane is in tact somewhat. Hwo do we evacuate when its completly crumpled like the A340 landing incident at YYZ, or when the plane is at an angle like the SWA 737 at MDW.

Like Tom said there isnt much cause of concern because you know it is fake, what would happen if it was for real.

Convicts tom heeeh maybe a bit to harsh.lol

Alex

PhilDernerJr
2006-03-27, 05:53 PM
In a crash, people will get to the door, see how high up they are, and freeze, causing a bottleneck and slowed escapes. People will die, no doubt.

There is nothing safe about this plane. Its size isn't even necessary in today's market. Sure it will sell, but there wasn't a pressing need for something this large.

T-Bird76
2006-03-27, 06:02 PM
In a crash, people will get to the door, see how high up they are, and freeze, causing a bottleneck and slowed escapes. People will die, no doubt.

There is nothing safe about this plane. Its size isn't even necessary in today's market. Sure it will sell, but there wasn't a pressing need for something this large.

I agree, if my mother for example was on the second floor of this plane and had to jump out I doubt she'd be able to hold it together and most likely die in the crash.

I said it before this plane goes back to the days of which country could build the biggest ocean-liner. Look back to the early 1900s into the 1930s and the Europeans were killing themselves to build the biggest ship. The A380 is exactly this, just against the 747. Yes the 380 is a great achievement and a marvel as to what man is capable of but there isn't a need. Just look at the costs going into improving today's airports simply for one plane that will come in perhaps once a day from not very many airlines. IMO its a waste of time and money. I doubt the A380 will break 400 frames.

Ari707
2006-03-27, 06:04 PM
I read this weekend that ORD DFW and ATL, aren't even going to become A380 ready, they say to much $$$ for too few flights

lijk604
2006-03-28, 09:58 PM
its amazing...33 injuries with one broken leg and that is considered a success!

Midnight Mike
2006-03-28, 10:50 PM
its amazing...33 injuries with one broken leg and that is considered a success!

Yes.

Whenever there is an evac, there are going to be people hurt. Just think about over 800 people rushing to get out of an aircraft in less than 80 seconds..

When the MD11 when through its certification, one lady was pushed from behind and she fell 15 feet, broke her back..... A broken leg is nothing...