PDA

View Full Version : New Name for Stewart International

Tom_Turner
2006-03-07, 10:12 PM
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/ge ... #ID2614091 (http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/2614091/6/#ID2614091)

Not exactly the most creative.

Tom

Iberia A340-600
2006-03-07, 10:29 PM
According to the Poughkeepsie Journal the name change has attracted the interest of some new airlines. There was an articale about the name change a little while and it stated airlines would be more interested in flying into an airport named Hudson Valley International then Stewart International.

Tom_Turner
2006-03-07, 10:41 PM
March 3, 2006
Section: Business
Page: B06

Keep name of airport, official says
Poughkeepsie Journal

Craig Wolf

NEWBURGH -- State Transportation Commissioner Thomas J. Madison Jr. Thursday backed the movement to keep ''Stewart'' in the name of Stewart International Airport.
Madison wrote National Express Group CEO Philip White in London.

''On behalf of Gov. Pataki, I urge you to conclude, as we have, that appropriate regard for community concerns -- including respect for the community's sense of history -- should result in keeping 'Stewart' in the formal name of the airport however it is designated in the future,'' Madison wrote.

National Express has a 99-year lease on Stewart and claims the right to change the name.

Also Thursday, local residents gathered in a snowstorm near the billboard they recently put up on Little Britain Road to urge National Express to think again and keep Stewart in the name.

Despite protests, the name remains slated to be replaced in May to New York Hudson Valley International Airport, airport officials said.

Undeterred, local residents, and members of the Stewart family continued their campaign to build support. Carmen Dubaldi Jr., chairman of the New Windsor Republican Committee, said that group had chimed in.

Red Hook resident Linda Keeling attended the event at the billboard. ''I'm looking at it from the whole perspective of the Hudson Valley. Stewart has recognition,'' she said. ''It's just eliminating the whole identity.''

'Bad business'

Present were Mary Stewart Hafer, daughter of Archie Stewart, whose idea it was to donate a family farm, Stony Lonesome, to establish the airport, and her daughter, Abby Hafer.

''It's a very bad business idea to ignore the public,'' Abby Hafer said.

Tanya Vanasse, airport spokeswoman, said, ''We're still changing the name and we're concerned that people are feeling offended by it. We in no way intended to offend.''

National Express will name the passenger terminal for the Stewart family, she said. ''The naming of the terminal and putting the Stewart name out there for people in the local community will preserve that and the name we've chosen will help us in marketing outside the area.''

(Craig Wolf can be reached at [email protected])

Copyright (c) Poughkeepsie Journal. All rights reserved. Reproduced with the permission of Gannett Co., Inc. by NewsBank, inc.

cancidas
2006-03-09, 05:43 AM
i think that i'm somewhat lucky though. if i'm thinking about an airport or a city i'll never really think of the name but the code will be what pops up in my head. so, let them rename it what they way, it'll forever be KSWF in my mind...

markg
2006-03-09, 05:36 PM
I don't see what all the fuss is about!

How many people in the real world (i.e. non press or airline personnel) refer to Newark as Newark Liberty Airport.

In my mind Newark is just Newark, DCA will always be National, and Stewart will always be Stewart!