PDA

View Full Version : JetPhotos Que

LGA777
2006-03-01, 04:43 PM
Seems the screeners at JetPhotos have been very busy the last 24 hours ! As of 1530 lcl on Wed March 1st there are only 32 photos waiting to be screened, which means same day or much less uploading is back ! Upload at will NYC Photoags !

Cheers

LGA777

jakbar
2006-03-01, 07:19 PM
Wow, that's incredible!

LGA777
2006-03-01, 08:23 PM
I just checked, 7 photos on the que, this is the kinda night where you upload, go to the kitchen for a beer, walk back to the computer, and walla you have another accepted photo, to bad I am at work cause times like this are fun and rare !

Ron

Mr Smith
2006-03-03, 04:21 AM
some of us don't have lives, thankfully i didn't spend all night screening 2000 photos in one hit! :D leave that to the european office. I believe we'll be looking for new screeners soon.

T-Bird76
2006-03-03, 05:11 PM
Its nice to not have to wait months to have your photos screened isn't it??? :wink:

jakbar
2006-03-03, 06:49 PM
Its nice to not have to wait months to have your photos screened isn't it??? :wink:

The wait is worth it.

Mr Smith
2006-03-03, 07:22 PM

The wait is worth it.

why? so you can learn from your reject and wait another 10 days?! :lol:

jakbar
2006-03-03, 07:45 PM
[quote="T-Bird76":00f94]Its nice to not have to wait months to have your photos screened isn't it??? :wink:

The wait is worth it.

why? so you can learn from your reject and wait another 10 days?! :lol:[/quote:00f94]

There are a lot of obvious reasons why the wait is worth it. After doing this for several years, I still fail to understand why someone would intentionally avoid uploading somewhere that arguably has the highest technical standards for acceptance (putting aside the issue of "motive", the boundaries of which are clearly different on various sites). Why not challenge yourself? Afraid of being told you have room for improvement? (not you personally, Mont)

Besides, I'm not that impatient that I need my photos screened in 3 seconds. 10 days is fine with me, especially if it means that 10 times the number of people will see my photos.

Mr Smith
2006-03-03, 07:58 PM
depends on what your motive for uploading is...to get more hits or just to have your image on display, of course hits are good, but personally i think they are better in the boxing ring! don't care for numbers to be honest! I don't even see a.net as a challenge anymore, of my last uploads just about everything was accepted, then again most of it is my boring **** too! though to my suprise my Legacy shot from Vegas did poor on a.net compared to JP.

I just want my photos in a database, don't care who looks at em or buys them...anyways, i've sold my camera so i'll be without eqpt for a while!

jakbar
2006-03-03, 08:00 PM
anyways, i've sold my camera so i'll be without eqpt for a while!

What's that all about? Just upgrading cameras, or hanging this up for a while?

Mr Smith
2006-03-03, 08:13 PM
anyways, i've sold my camera so i'll be without eqpt for a while!

What's that all about? Just upgrading cameras, or hanging this up for a while?

little of both mate, will get a new one but focus it another direction! was thinking of going back to uni and doing a diploma of arts in applied photography, go become a photo journo that i've always wanted to be!

T-Bird76
2006-03-03, 09:09 PM
[quote="T-Bird76":7a4a4]Its nice to not have to wait months to have your photos screened isn't it??? :wink:

The wait is worth it.

why? so you can learn from your reject and wait another 10 days?! :lol:

There are a lot of obvious reasons why the wait is worth it. After doing this for several years, I still fail to understand why someone would intentionally avoid uploading somewhere that arguably has the highest technical standards for acceptance (putting aside the issue of "motive", the boundaries of which are clearly different on various sites). Why not challenge yourself? Afraid of being told you have room for improvement? (not you personally, Mont)

Besides, I'm not that impatient that I need my photos screened in 3 seconds. 10 days is fine with me, especially if it means that 10 times the number of people will see my photos.[/quote:7a4a4]

Josh it sounds like you are saying people who only upload to JP.net don't challenge themselves, or perhaps that is my interpretation; please correct me if I'm wrong. Why people upload to one site and not another is certainly not because they don't want to "challenge" themselves. You said it, both sites screen with a varying degree’s of motive. It’s my belief JP.net is much more of an enthusiast site then A.net. I've found pictures on JP.net that while not the highest degree of quality are certainly interesting and tell a very good story.

As for views I'm still very confused as to the obsession with "most views." Of course if you want to sell or perhaps get your picture published then yes simply logic would dictate the most exposure makes sense and then yes A.net would be your first choice. For me however I'm very happy if only 100 people see my photo and enjoy it, its 100 more then if it was sitting on my desk at work.

This is not directed at anyone and please forgive me if you guys take this the wrong way, but it seems like there are people that do this only to get their name in lights, and if that's your choice that's fine, trust me I love seeing my name up there to. However ask yourself a question, when you first laid eyes on a plane taking off did you love that site because 1000 people on a website would look at your picture or did you love that moment for what it was, a graceful machine reaching to the sky heading to a place beyond the horizon?

I really think this whole A.net vs. JP.net debate is a mute point, you don't need a website to decide for you your love of aviation or your ability to improve your skills.

jakbar
2006-03-03, 10:04 PM
Josh it sounds like you are saying people who only upload to JP.net don't challenge themselves, or perhaps that is my interpretation; please correct me if I'm wrong. Why people upload to one site and not another is certainly not because they don't want to "challenge" themselves. You said it, both sites screen with a varying degree’s of motive. It’s my belief JP.net is much more of an enthusiast site then A.net. I've found pictures on JP.net that while not the highest degree of quality are certainly interesting and tell a very good story.

As for views I'm still very confused as to the obsession with "most views." Of course if you want to sell or perhaps get your picture published then yes simply logic would dictate the most exposure makes sense and then yes A.net would be your first choice. For me however I'm very happy if only 100 people see my photo and enjoy it, its 100 more then if it was sitting on my desk at work.

This is not directed at anyone and please forgive me if you guys take this the wrong way, but it seems like there are people that do this only to get their name in lights, and if that's your choice that's fine, trust me I love seeing my name up there to. However ask yourself a question, when you first laid eyes on a plane taking off did you love that site because 1000 people on a website would look at your picture or did you love that moment for what it was, a graceful machine reaching to the sky heading to a place beyond the horizon?

I really think this whole A.net vs. JP.net debate is a mute point, you don't need a website to decide for you your love of aviation or your ability to improve your skills.

This was not meant to be a debate about one site versus another. In response to your original post, I merely said there are benefits to uploading to a.net notwithstanding the screening time. Fairly simple point.

The point of my subsequent post was that there are people who don't upload to a.net because (1) they think the standards are simply too high, and/or (2) they think that a.net is in the business of rejections, and therefore they simply avoid it. Both of these rationales are, in my opinion, weak. Plenty of people, including me, upload there for the very reason that they know it is going to push them to be a better photographer, not because they need their name "in lights." If you avoid a.net because you think some other site is more in line with your style of photography, your motivational interests, whatever...that's a different story. I do, however, completely disagree with you about the existence of people who avoid a.net, and thus upload elsewhere, because they do not want to challenge themselves. There are most certainly people who upload to other sites because of what they perceive as lower standards. And once someone gets comfortable with that, it becomes difficult to progress as a photographer, or to even recognize that progress can be made. But whatever...that's their choice; it's just not mine.

Your statements about uploading simply for the "love of aviation" do not move me. None of us would stand out in the freezing weather if we didn't love the airplanes. But, at least for me personally, there is also a love of photography, which makes me want to also focus on the technical and photographic aspects of my pictures instead of uploading pictures in need of improvement simply under the guise of my love of aviation.

And, yes, I happen to enjoy showcasing my photos to the widest audience, but it has nothing to do with "hits" or being an attention-seeker. I don't care if a pic of an ERJ at LGA only gets 2 hits, but I like knowing that if someone on the other side of the world, or maybe even just the pilot who flew the plane, wants to see my picture, they can go to the biggest online database and find it. I see nothing wrong with this, and make no apologies if anyone thinks it is a corruption to the love of aviation, etc. I think it actually is just one of the many ways a person can express his or her own love of aviation.

Bottom line -- the original post that I made was that there are benefits to uploading to a.net, and that the wait for the screening is worth it. Perhaps that message got lost here with everyone responding to my posts with statements about a.net being for hit seekers?

PhilDernerJr
2006-03-03, 11:12 PM
Ok, my views:

Do I think the standards are higher at Anet: Yes.

Do I think Anet accepts better photos? Not necessarily.

Do I think has Anet has better photos in general? Yes.

Regardless of my views, JetPhotos allows certain GREAT motives that would not be allowed on Anet. I love Anet, for reasons other than photography. I attribute my love for aviation to them, because if it wasn't for them I'd not have gotten involved in the hobby.

For me, I enjoy the art of it all. For that "art" (if you define mine or anyone's aviation photography as "art"), I think that the more exposure you get from your art, the more it is allowed to become "art". Otherwise, it's just a painting that stays in your basement.

This is why I upload to Anet. I get great views and when I get something accepted, I know it's legit. If it gets rejected, it doesn't necessarily mean it's ****, but my acceptances are important to me in what I do. Remember, if it wasn't for Anet, I'd not have been interested in getting an expensive camera.

I think both sites are great. JP has grown SO much over the years, but I think Anet is still ahead.

T-Bird76
2006-03-04, 12:05 AM
Ok, my views:

Do I think the standards are higher at Anet: Yes.

Do I think Anet accepts better photos? Not necessarily.

Do I think has Anet has better photos in general? Yes.

Regardless of my views, JetPhotos allows certain GREAT motives that would not be allowed on Anet. I love Anet, for reasons other than photography. I attribute my love for aviation to them, because if it wasn't for them I'd not have gotten involved in the hobby.

For me, I enjoy the art of it all. For that "art" (if you define mine or anyone's aviation photography as "art"), I think that the more exposure you get from your art, the more it is allowed to become "art". Otherwise, it's just a painting that stays in your basement.

This is why I upload to Anet. I get great views and when I get something accepted, I know it's legit. If it gets rejected, it doesn't necessarily mean it's ****, but my acceptances are important to me in what I do. Remember, if it wasn't for Anet, I'd not have been interested in getting an expensive camera.

I think both sites are great. JP has grown SO much over the years, but I think Anet is still ahead.

Good points Phil, and Josh your points are very good to however I think you have to becareful generalizing that people who only upload to Jp.net are afraid to challenge themselves, simply not true. Yes there are certainly people out there that do upload to JP.net for that exact reason and yes that is a weak excuse but in the same breath there are people who only upload to A.net because they feel JP.net stole A.net's code, is a copycat site, and overall has lower standards. This is also a weak excuse and without merit. Yes they both offer the same premise but at the same time are uniquely different and offer features that are attractive and not attractive to each different user.

jakbar
2006-03-04, 12:27 AM
I think you have to becareful generalizing that people who only upload to Jp.net are afraid to challenge themselves

Which is exactly why I said what I said. I tried to make clear I was not generalizing.

in the same breath there are people who only upload to A.net because they feel JP.net stole A.net's code, is a copycat site, and overall has lower standards

I upload to both (for the reasons I mentioned about wanting lots of exposure), so this doesn't include me. However, I do believe that JP does have lower standards overall. MUCH lower standards. That much I think we all agree on.

I could not have said it better myself. Stop stealing my thoughts. :)

ANYWAY....

No need to belabor this discussion. If we're going to debate something, let's debate something more interesting and less inflammatory.

Josh

Mr Smith
2006-03-04, 12:32 AM
if you see half the **** i get knocked from a.net cos of the motive rule you'd have a fit, more recent was a rare photo of Miami terminal taken inside, which they have only 2 photos of, then i had the UA underpass at ORD rejected for motive and UA terminal at ORD busted for motive, yet, on the same page i had a cabin photo of a bunch of people sitting business class accepted...i wrote them and put it to them, i can take a cabin photo with the pax sitting down and get it added but i can't take a terminal photo with people walking through it and get it added?

some of the decisions are mind blowing, why? because they look your photo up n down with a fine tooth comb for a reason to reject it, if it's 1 pixel of center it's canned, a dust spot that only shows up when equalised or looked over for 10 mins it's gone, in other words, nonsense rejections that piss the people off that make the site!

at JP we are looking to add your shots, we aren't going to sit and look over your shot for 1 pixel or other rubbish, we take the artistic stuff that is bad motive at the other site, why? cos they won't and i rekon alot of people wouldn't have even seen the UA underpass unless i put it on JP recently!

a.net is good if you like having the rule book thrown at you every 10 days! I've screened so many photos it's not funny, you get a feel for who knows the game and who doesn't, whats worse is that i'm probably the hardest screener to get things by, but i'm always looking to add the photo first n foremost!

that said, we aren't going to add whatever you throw at us, nor should we!

Mr Smith
2006-03-04, 12:39 AM
in the same breath there are people who only upload to A.net because they feel JP.net stole A.net's code, is a copycat site, and overall has lower standards

I upload to both (for the reasons I mentioned about wanting lots of exposure), so this doesn't include me. However, I do believe that JP does have lower standards overall. MUCH lower standards. That much I think we all agree on.

don't speak to soon mate, you haven't seen the rejection emails we get! we are leniant to a certain extent but we are now starting to crack down alot more then you could imagnie.

screeners atm are doing a revision to get an idea of where we are at with consistency and what we need to work on...

mirrodie
2006-03-04, 11:12 AM
I've found pictures on JP.net that while not the highest degree of quality are certainly interesting and tell a very good story

I'd have to agree with that. For me, I longer care about the technicalities so much as I do the art behind it. Its compelling and what keeps me shooting. Shooting in Prague is an example, I went nuts and was so inspired. So it comes down to whats your inspiration.

That is why I am partical to jpnet, I love the content of hte photos accepted.

There are most certainly people who upload to other sites because of what they perceive as lower standards

Sure I suppose. But I think other reasons are moreso.

there are people who only upload to A.net because they feel JP.net stole A.net's code, is a copycat site, and overall has lower standards

Well, from what I know, apparently the code issue is real but I dont know if its able to be proven. But I know there is bad blood between both owners. ITs too bad b/c they both have good intent. But I disagree again with the lower standards.

some of the decisions are mind blowing, why?

I think that is the predominant reaon why I wont load regularly with anet. I mean, I spent Wedesday afternoon uploading to jp and I find hte screeners are so helpful and willing to work with you. Since I am new to this, I had many a rejection and would ask why and for help. ANd i got it. and I cant say that happens with anet. And hte feedback comes quick.

with anet, mulitple days to hear a response, I find that frustrating in general. Im a patient guy, but when I upload and dont hear for 10 days, I swear I forget about it all together.

further, and I was recetnly discussing this on anet, I just dont have the time (or motivation ) to double load ot both sites. I sepdn too much time online as is and need to get out more. :)

lastly, thanks to Monty. I really apprecaite hte effort in helping a helpless sod as myself!

PhilDernerJr
2006-03-05, 01:33 PM
I'm not trying to sound diplomatic when I say this, the truth is that everyone in this thread is right, on both sides.

The thing is that we all shoot for different reasons, and we all have differ net goals and objectives when choosing where we upload. So when we have these debates or discussions, one person is talking about oranges while the next is talking about apples and the third is talking about hair gel.

I like exposure. I like getting print orders. I like a challenge in reaching a certain standard. I like being a part of something big, having my name alongside people whom I view as though they are sports heroes. I like creating what I feel is art and sharing it with as many as I can.

This is why I upload to both JetPhotos.net and Airliners.net.

Some of you have differ net goals in uploading, and may choose one over the other because of it. There is also the political aspect, which is a whole other discussion.

Tom_Turner
2006-03-05, 02:28 PM
Well, guys apart from the whole issue of where to upload, there is the matter of where to view the images.

I am often surprised to hear folks say they don't even look at A.net or JP because of this or that.

Not so long ago, there was "one-stop shopping" and I miss those days.

Now I realize that in sports for example, many of us end up rooting for the "uniform". I do this to an extent as well. But I still like following some of the players. :) After all this is not about "branding" for most of us is it?

Most of the folks are on A.net, but if I want to see Senga Butt's shots or Brian Stevenson's, I have to look at JetPhotos. If I want to see Derek Pedley's shots or Colin Work's, I have to look at AirTeamImages. If I want to look at Glenn Alderton's shots I now have to go to Warbirdz.net, William Anthony's to Photoframe, etc.

And, I am still getting shots accepted on A.net that were rejected on JP and PP. Of course, when that happens, I am pleased to acknowledge the their expertise. :)

No matter where you upload to however, theres a bit more to learning photography than having it filtered through Bad Double, Bad Common, Bad Backlit, special stickers, Bad info etc. and there's more than one school of thought on grain, centering, exposure, sharpening etc.

Most of us, I absolutely acknowledge, were inspired through our hobby and A.net in particular and should give credit there, as Phil has done, and as I will do. But lets not start a pissing contest on just how accomplished we are there... Whether you are in the first grade or graduated its still cookie cutter photography school at the end of the day.

Just my two cents.

Tom