PDA

View Full Version : How did you guys get this angle ?

Garri767
2006-02-20, 07:25 PM
i always have had a soft spot for photos like these
http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/3530/ata0bz.jpg
http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/3172/ana8xi.jpg

i know i wont get to take these shots from where you do in NYC, but can you tell me your technique?

Garri767

jakbar
2006-02-20, 07:39 PM
but can you tell me your technique?

Technique? It involves pointing the camera at the plane and taking the picture. These shots were taken at a parking lot in Howard Beach that just happens to provide close proximity to the departing aircraft.

Tom_Turner
2006-02-20, 07:45 PM
Garri -

You should be able to get an angle at least similar to the ATA near or at any airport. We're just under and to the side of the climbout. Its basically a "belly shot".

The ANA shot is the result of a sharp left turn aircraft must make when they depart 31L at JFK. No particular technique there, but the turn makes it appear vaguely "air-to-air".

EWR and LGA both feature slightly similar climbouts as well from certain runways. LHR and one of the airports in Australia seem to feature the same from the shots I see on A.net.

Occasionally you will see photographers turn their camera somewhat during the turns in the instances where you see aircraft that appear nearly "level" in flight. -- although there is a function of illusion to the long lenses and the turns where some almost level shots - or where the aircraft appears to be in a dive that are not so much a matter of consciously tilting the camera.

(There have been some folks out there over the years though that seemed to believe we have some sort of 3 dimensional holographic version of photoshop through where we can turn the aircraft to certain angles... :) )

Hope this helps,

Tom

mirrodie
2006-02-20, 07:47 PM
It involves pointing the camera at the plane and taking the picture

HOLY MOLY! Ok, so first I point and then I push the button? Oh, but then I have to be in the right spot, Howard Beach?

ROFL, I'm just having a glas of wine and reading. Where were you yesterday? missed you.

ciao!

jakbar
2006-02-20, 08:16 PM
HOLY MOLY! Ok, so first I point and then I push the button? Oh, but then I have to be in the right spot, Howard Beach?

ROFL, I'm just having a glas of wine and reading. Where were you yesterday? missed you.

ciao!

I'm glad you found my post so...amusing.

I was at home in bed when you were out there in the morning. I'm not getting out of bed at 7am in the dead of winter just to go shoot pictures. Too cold. I was out there in the afternoon, though.

mirrodie
2006-02-20, 08:35 PM
I'm not getting out of bed at 7am in the dead of winter just to go shoot pictures

Right, you only got up later to bust out in the same cold weather, several hours later, just to shoot pictures. ;)

Ah c'mon, dude, you have to admit that was funny. pointin the camera and taking a picture? Sounds like the instructions on a box of ;pop tarts. Doe\n't those boxes say: " Open package, then insert in toaster." ?

havea bit of wine! sipping a pinot from sonoma right now. cheers!

PhilDernerJr
2006-02-20, 08:54 PM
I say we all chip in to do the following:

1. Get Garri a 100-400mm lens to enjoy those Howard Beach shots.

2. Dress Josh in a UPS outfit to deliver it.

3. Check Mario into the Betty Ford clinic, you drunk!

mirrodie
2006-02-20, 08:58 PM
what kind of Ford is a Betty?

;) nah, just sanding the ceiling and sipping wine in between.

jakbar
2006-02-21, 01:08 AM

I recently sold some pictures to a guy who runs a UPS pilot training website, and part of what I got in return was an official UPS hat. So I guess we're halfway to Phil's suggestion... :)

T-Bird76
2006-02-21, 10:23 AM

I recently sold some pictures to a guy who runs a UPS pilot training website, and part of what I got in return was an official UPS hat. So I guess we're halfway to Phil's suggestion... :)

Josh don't forget Phil's Long Johns! This way you'll be able to start out at 7AM and be toasty warm. I think Phil alone supports the last child labor factory in China that still produces Long Johns, LOL

PhilDernerJr
2006-02-21, 01:38 PM
Don't hate on my vast collection of warm long johns. Don't be jealous that I stay toasty on those days when snot freezes around your nose.

Don't envy that I look like a superhero when donning my dark blue 'johns and run around town soaring through the sky.

Be Batman for only $12 at Target.

Iberia A340-600
2006-02-21, 02:07 PM
Are the planes departing 31L closer to the photographer then when the planes are departing 13R?

Meaning are the planes lower when departing 31L making it easier for photographers to get banking photos of the planes departing from Howard Beach then the planes departing 13R and getting shots from Bayswater Park?

Also when planes are landing on 13R can you get an ok view of them from Howard Beach?

I have only been out to Howard Beach once and that was for the last Concorde flight on October 24th. I did not have my own camrea back then.

I have also only been to Bayswater Park once and the photos I got of banking planes where not so hot...

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e198/AirportPhotos/bn.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e198/AirportPhotos/AirTahitibank1.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e198/AirportPhotos/DSCN7065.jpg