PDA

View Full Version : Virgin America

PhilDernerJr
2006-02-07, 07:52 AM
Though I don't doubt it would be a great airline and I'm a fan of Richard Branson, I just kinda wonder about whether this airline should be allowed to operate in the United States.

It's got nothing to do with the pressing internationally owned airlines operating in the US. but more about the condition of the industry. I feel it's already way over-saturated. do we really need another airline to vie for profits here?

Or maybe this is just the ticket. Maybe we need a smart, new airline like this to help drive out the weakest links among the atrophied dinosaur airlines.

Your thoughts?

T-Bird76
2006-02-07, 08:21 AM
Not seeing Virgin's biz plan aside from they are going to be SFO based, which itself has its own negative issues its hard to say. They have some good people on-board. Say what you want about Don Carty the former CEO of AA but the man knows how to run an airline. He lead AA through some of its most profitable years.

One problem I see as I mentioned above is SFO. SFO is one of UAL's biggest hubs and they are not going to sit back and let Virgin eat away at their market share. They went up against Indy and won, a start up with very few routes shouldn't be that hard to fight off. Remember to UAL coming out of Chap 11 is a real powerhouse right now. SFO also isn't the friendliest airport when it comes to being on-time. One reason WN left SFO was for that very same reason.

Virgin still has to get off the ground so its going to be some time until we see if their plan works or not. Branson generally doesn't put money on a losing venture so Virgin America will certainly have the support it needs to flourish.

PhilDernerJr
2006-02-08, 01:47 PM
It's tough for me to believe the Virgin doesn't have something up their sleeve. These guys are smarter than that....I think.