PDA

View Full Version : £14m to save Concorde says Opik

Tower Air
2006-01-25, 04:58 PM
£14m to save Concorde says Opik
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40652000/jpg/_40652725_concorde300.jpg
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40072000/jpg/_40072960_oik203.jpg
Welsh MP who wants to see Concorde return to the skies above Britain claims it can be done for around £14m.
Montgomeryshire MP Lembit Öpik said the supersonic passenger jet was a symbol of pioneering British know-how.

He unveiled a 24,000-name petition by the Save Concorde Group, which is to discuss the bid with British Aerospace.

Mr Öpik said the £14m bill was "peanuts" to have a mascot plane operational by 2009 for the 40th anniversary of Concorde's first flight.

He said: "Future generations will not forgive us if we abandon the heritage of British technology which Concorde embodies."

"If we just abandon everything that is out of date, let's turn the Cutty Sark into firewood and demolish the National Railway Museum in York.

The Liberal Democrat MP, who has tabled an early day motion at Westminster hailing the formation of the group, said a re-flying Concorde would pay its own way with fees for flypasts and exhibitions
"Concorde was always a great ambassador. When Concorde flew over London, people would stop and look.

"I have been lucky enough to fly on Concorde a few times. It really was a marvellous experience," added Mr Öpik, a qualified pilot for 17 years who commutes by twin-engine plane from his mid Wales constituency.

He presented the group's case a press conference at Westminster with group chairman, Ross Mallett.

Mr Mallett said: "The British public feel huge affection for Concorde. It was, and remains, a cultural landmark."

Museum exhibits

He said one ambition was to have Concorde back in the air for the opening of the London 2012 Olympic Games.

He said: "I could think of no better way of kicking off the event than with a historic fly-past by the world's most famous plane."

Concorde made its last commercial flight in October 2003, ending 30 years of supersonic travel for British Airways and Air France passengers.

There were seven of the aircraft in the BA fleet, and most have now become museum exhibits.

The Save Concorde Group is to hold talks with British Aerospace, which is making the wings for the new Airbus super jumbo at its plant in Broughton in Deeside, on the detailed costs of saving a Concorde for flight.

The group claims about a dozen MPs back their campaign.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4734799.stm

cancidas
2006-01-25, 06:01 PM
i'd gladly contibute to that cause...

Midnight Mike
2006-01-25, 06:13 PM
To have a mascot-type airplane for the London Olympics would be a great idea & would add to the excitement, the Concorde is an aircraft that had gained fame World-Wide.

I would certainly add to the cause. We can have fundraising drives, & in return, have websites posted on the airplane, would love to see NYCAviation.com on the side of the airplane....

I would love to see the opening of the days event start off with a Concorde fly-by.

Getting back to the real world, £14m to have the aircraft operational by 2009, would have complications, the aircraft has not & is not been in long-term storage. Think of all that moisture inside & around the airplane.

Pilots, & any special parts, the pilots that are rated on the Concorde would be years past currency, & any required parts for the Concorde would have to be specially made.

Not saying that it is not possible, and, once again, it would be an amazing project....

Evan321
2006-01-26, 08:05 PM
I would definently love to see the Concorde in flight. Back before 2003, I had no interest in aviation and I never saw it in real life.