PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Largely Abandoning Film

Matt Molnar
2006-01-11, 11:40 PM
A press release from http://www.nikon.co.uk:

Nikon prepares to strengthen digital line-up for 2006

Wednesday January 11, 2006

Following the success of our digital line-up over the last seven years, which has resulted in more than 95% of Nikon’s UK business being within the digital area, Nikon Corporation has made the decision to focus management resources on digital cameras in place of film cameras. This decision will allow Nikon to continue to develop products that match the demands of an increasingly competitive market place.

Despite this growing competition Nikon Corporation has continued to outperform the market, and has recently reported positive financial results which saw group net profit climb by 20% in the fiscal first half which ended in September. Group sales also increased by 9.8% to 342.85 billion yen in the same period. Sales of high end digital SLR cameras and the success of products like the D70s and D50 have helped contribute to these positive figures.

As the film camera market shrinks and the popularity of compact digital cameras increases, demand for products that offer advanced features and extra value is continuing to grow. High performance digital SLR cameras are performing well as users shift from film-based SLR cameras or upgrade from compact digital cameras to digital SLR cameras.

As a result of the new strategy Nikon will discontinue production of all lenses for large format cameras and enlarging lenses with sales of these products ceasing as soon as they run out of stock. This also applies to most of our film camera bodies, interchangeable manual focus lenses and related accessories. Although Nikon anticipates that the products will still be in retail distribution up to Summer 2006.

In recognition of Nikon’s commitment to professional photographers we will continue to manufacturer and sell the F6, our flagship film model, as well as a number of manual interchangeable lenses. Sales of the manual FM10 will also continue outside Europe.

Notes to editor

• As well as the F6 film body and the manual FM10 Nikon will continue to manufacturer and sell the following Interchangeable manual lenses:

Nikkor 20mm f/2.8

Nikkor 24mm f/2.8

Nikkor 28mm f/2.8

Nikkor 35mm f/1.4

Nikkor 50mm f/1.2

Nikkor 50mm f/1.4

Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8

Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8

PC Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/2.8D

• After-sales service will continue to be provided as before, according to the policy for each product.

T-Bird76
2006-01-13, 11:01 AM
Smart move by Nikon but not really surprising. Consumer demographics are changing and the younger 20's and 30's market has embraced digital technology. Even the baby boomers that grew up with film have moved to digital. It comes down to the old film consumer is growing older and simply put dying off.

GrummanFan
2006-01-13, 05:17 PM
I cant tell you how much I want a DSLR after seeing what they can do, but since I am relatively new to photography and already have an old Nikon F3, I'm just gunna stick with that until I get more practice (and $$$). So this may not be a very bad thing for me...anyone have any old cheap used Nikkor lenses they would be willing to sell me?