PDA

View Full Version : AA Drop LGA-HOU-AUS

Max10803
2006-01-10, 06:53 PM
This is pretty unfortunate that we are losing this flight up here. I know that I have family in Austin and Houston and I've taken that flight more than a couple times. The thing is though, I took this flight for Thanksgiving and even on a busy weekend like that, the MD80 was less than half full.

In fact, AA is dropping HOU overall from its mailine service.

T-Bird76
2006-01-10, 07:34 PM
AA is doing some major things up in Boston to, lots of Eagle flights are going away up there. I also hear a rumor that their LGA-BOS/DCA service is going away, that I can't confirm though.

PhilDernerJr
2006-01-10, 08:05 PM
I'm surprised. Austin a city going through a lot of growth, so I'm surprised this route doesn't offer better yields.

Ari707
2006-01-11, 07:06 AM
Don''t worry jetBlue is comming soon

T-Bird76
2006-01-11, 10:33 AM
I'm surprised. Austin a city going through a lot of growth, so I'm surprised this route doesn't offer better yields.

One thing to consider when it comes to yields at AUS is Southwest. WN has a huge presence at AUS and Hobby so competing for high yields is almost out of the question.

Just to give you an example in two weeks I'm doing a business trip to Texas, in two days we're covering three cities (oh joy). We were asked this year to becareful how we spend our travel budget so when I contacted my travel dept. we looked at AA, CO, and then WN. Take a look at the costs

Routing
WN- ISP-MDW-DFW (codeshare on ATA) DAL-SAT-HOB-BWI-ISP
Total cost $395

AA- LGA-DFW-SAT-HOB-LGA
Total cost- $1221

CO- JFK-HOU-DFW-SAT-HOU-JFK
Total cost- $829

So basically how can AA compete with a fare of less then $400? Even with the connections our arrival and departures times are within 30 mins of AA's non-stop flights. Some of you know in general I'm a WN fan but this comes down to good business sense, its that simple.

Alex T
2006-01-11, 02:24 PM
HOU Tommy, HOU, NOT HOB lol

a WN fan? nooooo :P