PDA

View Full Version : LAX Spotting Locations

PhilDernerJr
2005-12-31, 06:33 PM
Josh and Brian are headed to LAX soon. Insteadof giving them the directions to LAX's spotting locations by email, I thought I'd keep it hosted here so other can use it and reference it.

If you are staying at the Sheraton or the Radisson, you're on Century Blvd.

For In N Out: Go west on Century until you hit Sepulveda Blvd and make a right onto it. Stay in the right lanes (as the left two will take you to Lincoln Blvd) and proceed down about half a mile until you see In N Out on your left. You'll have to pass it and go to the next light and make a left (Westchester Parkway), going around the block, approaching In N Out from the other side. The parking garage behind it is NOT a good place to spot, because people always get kicked out of there. Just be careful.

Imperial Hill: Take Century blvd to Sepulveda and make a left. Proceed, in the tunnel that goes under the runway, and take the first right onto Imperial Highway. Merge and get over to the left lane, making a left turn at your first opportunity only a few hundred feet later. The ramp that you turn onto will take you to an intersection, which you must turn right onto (calling E. Imperial Ave). Go about half a mile west until you get to a high point (the second hill you reach) that has a flag pole. There is no police danger here.

Lincoln Blvd Bridge: The same way you'd get to In N Out, but when you make the left turn at the light past In N Out, keep going straight. You'll see rwy 24 on your left, and at about the runway's midway point, the road becomes an overpass with a road going underneath. You'll have to keep going to the corner, make a right and find a parking spot over there, and then walk back. Police have stopped at this location for people in the past.

jakbar
2005-12-31, 08:25 PM
Thanks, Phil! What I think would really be helpful for Brian/me and others is if one or more people can post examples of the types of pictures that can be taken from each of the above spots. Also, I am pretty sure there are other spots around LAX as well, so if anyone else has any information on other spots, we'd really appreciate it if you can post the info here.

Josh

Mr Smith
2005-12-31, 08:34 PM
guys i'll be more than happy to show you a few of my favourite spots too, the FedEX lot is probably my fave, it's best on a weekend too which suits us! approach photos from proudbird or burger king, the top of the parking garage at the Renaissance is a great spot. i aint got ramp access but i got a few spots that i enjoy at LAX.

usually the landings happen on 25L, fedex is a perfect spot and it's very close to the runways..

sample shot

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=435090

have any of you thought about a group of us splitting the cost of renting a cessna for a few hours and doing the "aerial" tour of lax?

imperial hill-it can get pretty boring there after a while too...

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=442814

Futterman
2005-12-31, 11:36 PM
Wow, Phil, thanks. This is going to be awesome! I agree with Josh, though...take this opportunity to plug some shots and show us what each of these locations has to offer. I don't want to screw up a shot of the ATA L1011...in old colors... :)

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=435090

Holy mother. I'm sold. :)

have any of you thought about a group of us splitting the cost of renting a cessna for a few hours and doing the "aerial" tour of lax?

I think we may have something here, but we have to remember that a Cessna would only be good for three photographers (or two, when you consider the fact that only one side of the plane can face the airport at a time). Can you get some information on this, Monty, seeing as how you're already well into 2006? ;) Rates, availability, any required permits/licenses, etc...

I was also thinking of Alteon for an hour or two, since I hear it's only $100 or $150 an hour for the sims. Have to touch base with MidnightMike, Tommy, or Mario (*cough*) to get more details.

Cessna and/or Alteon would be freakin awesome, though. Whatever works.

I look forward to meeting up with you again, Mont. Looks like Matt Smith and Eric Dunetz will also be out there, so we'll have quite a group!

Brian

PS: On a side note, Josh and I are looking for a good deal on the Radisson and rental cars, but we're pretty skeptical when it comes to Hotwire or Priceline. It doesn't seem like it's possible for us to be guaranteed $55 a night for the Radisson in LAX and not one 3 miles away. Suggestions?

Mr Smith
2006-01-01, 08:07 AM
ok if you want info for the hotels then check this forum...

http://p070.ezboard.com/fpricelineandex ... disneyland (http://p070.ezboard.com/fpricelineandexpediabiddinglosangelesareadisneylan d)

if you guys want to bed down with me at the westin it's fine with me, it's just up the road from Radisson. I won't be arriving in La on the 28th til later in the day, will be driving over with Nik V.

I've been trying to find out some info with regards to the cessna flights, looks llike $100 per hour is the go, not to bad at all! $25 each..I've emailed the guy that takes Sam up and i will wait to hear from him.

Tony Russo and myself spent about 2.5hrs at fedex lot, it's very close to the perimiter fence and you usually find plane lovers watching from there, the cops did show up but we had no dramas, just asked to move on which we did..

Futterman
2006-01-02, 12:36 AM
Phil, we're also interested in those amazing sunset shots you (and everyone else) got during the last outing, like this one:

http://nycaviation.com/pichost/A340_sunset1_100805.jpg

Where was this taken? Share your secrets. :)

Brian

PhilDernerJr
2006-01-02, 01:17 AM
That was taken from Sepulveda Blvd, acros the street from In N Out, over the bushes, by the landing lights. No big secret. There were tons of us there that day and we were all spread out. That happens to be the angle I chose.

The sun's position is a big thing in LA. I'm not sure what January will afford you guys.

T-Bird76
2006-01-02, 01:26 AM
This time of year Brian the sun has moved even more so to the south. Therefor you still will be able to get some great sunset shots but not like the one above as the sun will be far to the left of the runway.

Futterman
2006-01-02, 01:36 AM
So if I understand correctly, the sun's current position sounds like it would light up arrivals on the 7s/25s from Imperial Hill...? Sounds insane.

PhilDernerJr
2006-01-02, 01:40 AM
Brian, sotp calling it the 7s. Operations in the opposite direction are so rare that it doesn't even matter. :-p

As for the angle....Imperial hill has you on the south side of rwy 25, not behind it. So, no sunset shots will be possible on that runway either, as the sun will be to your left (and a little behind), the opposite of where the planes are from Imperial.

For sunset shots, I'd recommend standing a little closer to In N Out in that grass, about 50 feet north of the landing lights. I'll be that you'll get some good stuff.

Iberia A340-600
2006-01-02, 12:19 PM
Thanks Phil for the directions to Imperial Hill. The two times that I have been to LAX I have never been able to find it :oops: I have always spotted at In N Out.

Next time I go this information will surley help, thanks! :)

PhilDernerJr
2006-01-02, 12:22 PM
No prob. Ask any other questions that yu guys have, about any photos. :)

Mr Smith
2006-01-02, 06:15 PM
if you want a quick ride to imperial hill then walk back to the terminal and jump on the Embassy Suites LAX South bus, it stop's about 200meters from the hill.

Brian, landing shots on the 24's, not of the sunset type but from westchester pk is impossible now too, the sun isn't coming round far enough. If you want to get landings on 7 then you'll need to get up very early! they usually land on 7 until 7 or 8am only.

NIKV69
2006-01-02, 09:40 PM
Monty what time you land? I am probably going to shoot at LAS early then I can pick you up at the terminal. Then we drive the open road. BTW I drove NY to Bowling Green, KY today non-stop! I am exhausted!

LAX sounds awesome, can't wait.

Mr Smith
2006-01-03, 12:41 AM
according to the iten i arrive at 1350 on the 28th from ORD, it's UA flight, hmm i can't remember but it's from ORD...i gotta pick my hire car up too cos i already prepaid for it, if your taking your car then i'll follow you in mine too or we can car pool in mine.

NIKV69
2006-01-03, 05:22 AM
Great we will talk few days before and make a plan.

Mr Smith
2006-01-03, 05:33 PM
i'm defo going to have to drive because i have to be back in Vegas on the 30th, meet at the airport, pickup the car then piss off west.

Midnight Mike
2006-01-06, 01:40 PM
okI was also thinking of Alteon for an hour or two, since I hear it's only $100 or $150 an hour for the sims. Have to touch base with MidnightMike, Tommy, or Mario (*cough*) to get more details.

If you guys want to do something at Alteon let know......

T-Bird76
2006-01-06, 02:31 PM
Oh man Monty, Josh, and Brian you must go visit Alteon! This is the most amazing place to experience for an aviation fan. Even if you don't do the sim the tour Mike will give you is an experience you'll never forget.

Mike I'm probably going to be in LA towards the end of Feb or March, get those sims ready for me!!!!!

eric8669
2006-01-06, 02:52 PM
Tom, Don't forget about Nick and I, we will both be out there with these guys. It should be another great spotting trip at LAX. I will be sure to show Josh and Brian all of the spots that we had shot from. If I have some time I will get down to Alteon.

Also I might be in Vegas + L.A. in March.

Eric

T-Bird76
2006-01-06, 03:19 PM
Tom, Don't forget about Nick and I, we will both be out there with these guys. It should be another great spotting trip at LAX. I will be sure to show Josh and Brian all of the spots that we had shot from. If I have some time I will get down to Alteon.

Also I might be in Vegas + L.A. in March.

Eric

Sorry Eric! :oops: I forgot you and Nick were going! When are you planning on LA and LAS? my plan right now is three full days in both cities, just not 100% with the dates as of yet. March is off season for Vegas so you can get some real good hotel deals, Monte Carlo is generally 79 a night in the off season, just as an example. Thinking Feb to but might be to close right now.

NIKV69
2006-01-06, 05:56 PM
Thanks Eric! We get no respect! LOL LAX should be great, may do a day trip next week, considering it.

Tommy,

Monte Carlo is good, check the MGM, they have good rates on the slow weeks.

Mr Smith
2006-01-06, 07:40 PM
Nick,
are you going to fly or drive to LA? lucky i printed these driving directions off google! :)