PDA

View Full Version : Its official FlyI to stop Flying Jan 5th

T-Bird76
2005-12-29, 11:01 AM
Its official FlyI will stop all service Jan 5th at 7PM. All flights after that will not operate and FlyI has sought caught approval to refund all bookings after the shutdown.

Just some background on FlyI they've been in busy for more then 10 years as ACA providing regional service for airlines like United and Delta. When ACA broke away from UAL more then a year ago to start Independence Airlines they had over half a billion dollars on hand, more money then any other start up airline in U.S history, even jetBlue. In just 12 months they dwindled that down to 20 million dollars when they filed for Chap 11.

A once fine airline and its dedicated employees are now no more. I truly feel bad for all the great employees of this airline, I flew them in September and they really were a great airline. Hopefully they will all find jobs quickly.

http://www.flyi.com

Former title of the below post. "FlyI to shut down on Jan 7th"

A letter sent to all the employees of Independence Airlines has informed them that if an investor is not found by the Jan 4th court hearing to sell Indy's assets the airline will cease operation on Jan 7. The letter is required by law to be sent to employees of companies with more then 50 people regarding upcoming layoffs.

While top brass at FlyI say all is not lost a letter like this certainly means any discussions FlyI may be engaged in certainly is not targeted at saving the employees. If anything the assets of FlyI will be sold to bidders in court on Jan 4th. More then likely the Airbuses will go back to the leasing company and released to someone else. As for the CRJ's, off to Victorville, Goodyear, or the Mojave for a while.

Its to bad they really were a nice airline with good friendly service. In the end its not hard to figure out what went wrong. You simply don't operate a mainline airline with CRJs with 15 frequency's a day to places like BUF.

Better get to LGA while you can if you want a picture!

jakbar
2005-12-29, 11:16 AM
What is the source of this information?

T-Bird76
2005-12-29, 11:48 AM
What is the source of this information?

Right from the source itself, Independence Airlines.

jakbar
2005-12-29, 12:07 PM
I'm not trying to be difficult, but you don't work for Indy, so I'm just curious as to how you found out about a letter sent to their employees, statements from "top brass", etc. Was it on the news? A website? A press release? I have heard nothing about this, so I'd be interested to see where it is coming from.

Ari707
2005-12-29, 12:30 PM
I heard UA was interested in it

T-Bird76
2005-12-29, 12:32 PM
Dam you lawyers! :lol: Its already hitting the wire services and even Mike Boyd has commented on it. As for my source, a gate agent I meet at FlyI in IAD when I flew them back in Sept. She got her letter on Tuesday.

Not really surprising, the court date of Jan 4th was published for sometime now and without DIP financing and the statement that they were selling their assets this was just a matter of time.

jakbar
2005-12-29, 12:46 PM
Dam you lawyers! :lol: Its already hitting the wire services and even Mike Boyd has commented on it. As for my source, a gate agent I meet at FlyI in IAD when I flew them back in Sept. She got her letter on Tuesday.

Not really surprising, the court date of Jan 4th was published for sometime now and without DIP financing and the statement that they were selling their assets this was just a matter of time.

I haven't heard anything about it, but thanks for at least letting me know that its now hitting the wire services, etc. I'm interested to read more about this. I'm also glad I got pictures of both the CRJs and the A319s while Indy was in existence.

AA 777
2005-12-29, 02:18 PM
Josh,

I got yer evidence right here :wink: :wink: http://forums.aca-lounge.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=54407 Really sad for all those involved at Indy Air but I think we can all agree that this was coming for long time. :(

-Matt

Ari707
2005-12-29, 02:20 PM
just looked at their web site no mention of anything and according to the web they are still hiring.....

T-Bird76
2005-12-29, 02:27 PM
Here's a phone number you might be interested in dialing, its FlyI's VP update line. 1-866-465-9309

Midnight Mike
2005-12-29, 03:25 PM
Josh,

I got yer evidence right here :wink: :wink: http://forums.aca-lounge.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=54407 Really sad for all those involved at Indy Air but I think we can all agree that this was coming for long time. :(

-Matt

The shut-down is not a done deal.

The company expects that IF it is unable to secure significant exernal investment or a sale of all or substantially all of its operations before January 7,2006, it will permanently cease all operations

Notice the word "IF" Not saying that it is going to happen, but, the shutdown is not a done deal....

AA 777
2005-12-29, 04:34 PM
Hey Mike,

I realize its not a done deal yet but each day it looks worse and worse :? :? Maybe someone will come through and bail them out!

jakbar
2005-12-29, 04:38 PM
Maybe someone will come through and bail them out!

Yeah, the Grim Reaper.

Midnight Mike
2005-12-29, 05:38 PM
Hey Mike,

I realize its not a done deal yet but each day it looks worse and worse :? :? Maybe someone will come through and bail them out!

I hear you, who knows, the company may hit the lottery..... :lol: :shock:

Tom_Turner
2005-12-29, 10:04 PM
This can't be very good for Canadair. Thats a bunch of Regional Jets that'll just be dumped on the market.

- Tom

T-Bird76
2005-12-29, 10:41 PM
This can't be very good for Canadair. Thats a bunch of Regional Jets that'll just be dumped on the market.

- Tom

Tom you have a very good point. The market for CRJ's isn't very good right now. About six months ago FlyI dumped about 50 CRJs and now it looks like the other 30 or so will be on the market. Its no wonder Canadair stopped production on them.