PDA

View Full Version : what are the chances this shot will get accepted

mikeisbeast
2005-12-29, 07:12 AM
i just uploaded this shot to both jetphotos and a.net... what are the chances it will get accepted.. the lighting sucked

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/lufthansa.jpg

PhilDernerJr
2005-12-29, 09:33 AM
I think your chances are good, although the only issue I see is that it seems to have a bluish cast to it.

Good shot, keep it up. :)

T-Bird76
2005-12-29, 10:16 AM
wow that's a very nice shot! I think your chances are good that it will get accepted to JP.net. It does have a bluish cast to however, that might knock it down from A.net. Nice work!

jakbar
2005-12-29, 11:23 AM
Unfortunately, I think it could get rejected from a.net. To me, it is low in the frame and has a fair bit of "space" in front of and on top of the nose section. The fact that the center landing gear is cut off may also be a problem for some screeners. And, as Phil and Tommy mentioned, it has a blue cast to it (which can be fixed easily).

JP has been tough on off-centered pictures lately (at least to me), so I'm not so sure it would get accepted there either.

Nice shot, though.

Josh

T-Bird76
2005-12-29, 11:47 AM
You have a point on the off-centered pictures at JP.net Josh. JP.net has always been a bit hard when it comes to centering an aircraft. I think however off centered pictures provide a very interesting and somewhat artistic angle. Any photography class I've ever been in I was told that placing a subject out of the center makes for some very interesting photography.

jakbar
2005-12-29, 12:04 PM
You have a point on the off-centered pictures at JP.net Josh. JP.net has always been a bit hard when it comes to centering an aircraft. I think however off centered pictures provide a very interesting and somewhat artistic angle. Any photography class I've ever been in I was told that placing a subject out of the center makes for some very interesting photography.

I completely agree about the potential benefits of off-centering a subject, but you and I both know that this certainly doesn't apply in all situations (i.e., just ask slide shooters and other people who like the "perfect side on shot", for example). The world of aviation photography is one of those areas where off-centering is probably done a little less since one of the typical hallmarks of a "good" picture is whether the subject is centered in the frame.

This particular shot, in my opinion of course, isn't one of those situations where off-centering can/should be justified. As it is, it's just not aesthetically pleasing to me.

I actually find it comical that people often try to justify a poorly framed shot as "artistic", particularly in the age of digital photography, when all that is typically needed to properly frame a shot is to just use the crop tool in PS. There is a huge difference between composing and shooting an off-centered subject, and simply pressing the shutter with the hope that your subject is centered, only to find out afterwards that you didn't keep the subject in the center of the frame when you pressed the shutter.

Josh