PDA

View Full Version : My first 2 weeks with 20D, my observations. Your comments?

mirrodie
2005-12-19, 06:09 PM
Well, as you all know, this was my first foray into the dslr world.

-got a 1gb card and has my wife buy a 2nd one. I didnt realize until in Prague that hte extra cards was SD! ( i have to blame myself for not double checking!) So had to buy another card in prague. C'est la vie. But they ofered me the Extreme III card. I bit pricey and I didnt know much about it. What do you think?

-we took about 1033 photos. I say "about" because some of those images are actually videos taken on our smaller canon s500. going to be going through them later today. Actaully, I started to go through them this morning at 630am as jet lag woke me up LOL.

-well, I learned I have a bunch of dust spots on some photos. I have to learn how to be more mindful. Are those spots usually on the mirror moreso than the lens ifself?

-I shot in av, usually 8 or 9 as recommended. took a lot of photos from the roof of the greenman pub. great for arrivals on 27 R and L. also, since they were moving slowly at the distance, I tended to leave the IS lens setting on setting 1, not 2. I understand the 2 setting is for quick moving objects. What are your results and impressions?

-as far as drive modes, what is recommended? I used SERVO and was not thrilled with the results. perhasp AI focus is better? What do y'all suggest?

-took loads of night shots and played with a lot of spherical aberration. And I was thrilled with the battery life that I got on one battery.

-Was shooting at the end of 27R when a huge red 744 comes over. At frist, Futterman came to mind and I thought it was Wunala.
Actually, it was a scheme on a Malasian airline. Pretty sweet.

-lastly, the 20 D came with 4 CDs...
a jumpstart kit for Adobe Photoshop CS2,
an Adobe Elements 2.0,
Canon 9.1 solutions
and Digital Photo Professional 1.6

before we left, I uploaded teh Solutons disk but it was not working right so I will try to reinstall it later today. In the interim, I've been uploading the photos via that PTP transfer (Which is real fast)

So my question is, with all 4 of these disks, which is the best and most practical one to use?

So far, I've been happy with everything and thank youall again.
looking forward to impressions and comments and tips,
Mario

moose135
2005-12-19, 08:18 PM
-we took about 1033 photos.

That's pretty weak, Mario. I think I shot 1,900 photos during my week in DC :shock:

Sounds like you had a great time. Looking forward to seeing some of your shots.

PhilDernerJr
2005-12-19, 08:43 PM
1. Dust spots are usually on the sensor, not themirror or the lens. Don't try to clena it yourself. That's a whole other topic.

2. Use AI Servo. AI Servo is meant for moving ojects. AI Focus uses it own discretion between movign and still objects, but you'd much rather be i control of that. Servo all the way.\

3. Good choice on using 1 on the IS int hat situation. However, if they are passing right over yor head coming at you, you would need setting 2, as your subject is going bi-directional.

mirrodie
2005-12-20, 03:39 PM
Dust spots are usually on the sensor, not themirror or the lens. Don't try to clena it yourself. That's a whole other topic

man, are you kidding me? I must got the thing. how could i screw that up so quickly?

T-Bird76
2005-12-20, 05:24 PM
Dust spots are usually on the sensor, not themirror or the lens. Don't try to clena it yourself. That's a whole other topic

man, are you kidding me? I must got the thing. how could i screw that up so quickly?

Dust on the sensor is pretty common for new Canon Cameras especially the 20D, its no big deal really, just needs a cleaning. What ever you do don't use canned air, swabs, or any chemicals! Get yourself a good hand held dust blower. I also have something called the Spec Grabber, it works great, however I only use it on the sensor if the dust blower fails to remove a piece of dust. I don't like playing with the sensor anymore then I have to. If you follow the instructions in the manual regarding cleaning the sensor you shouldn't have a problem. Generally I do sensor cleaning before I go out shooting.

mirrodie
2005-12-20, 06:02 PM
bloody hell! LOL I'll read the manual

lastly, the 20 D came with 4 CDs...
a jumpstart kit for Adobe Photoshop CS2,
an Adobe Elements 2.0,
Canon 9.1 solutions
and Digital Photo Professional 1.6

So my question is, with all 4 of these disks, which is the best and most practical one to use?

thoughts?

T-Bird76
2005-12-20, 07:24 PM
I only installed the Canon solutions CD, I have Photoshop so the **** CS2 they gave me I didn't need. Don't know what the Digital photo Pro 1.6 is. Sorry old boy

PhilDernerJr
2005-12-20, 08:22 PM
Mario,

You don't need ANY of those CDs, assuming you already have Photoshop. If not, I'll get yo a copy. I don't know what "jumpstart" for Photoshop CS2 menas, but you need a full version.

As for loading your photos, get a card reacder. $15 at Staples.