PDA

View Full Version : Morgan Freeman Criticizes Black History Month

Midnight Mike
2005-12-15, 11:43 PM
Freeman Criticizes Black History Month
Thu Dec 15, 2:40 PM ET
Morgan Freeman says the concept of a month dedicated to black history is "ridiculous."

"You're going to relegate my history to a month?" the 68-year-old actor says in an interview on CBS' "60 Minutes" to air Sunday (7 p.m. EST). "I don't want a black history month. Black history is American history."

Black History Month has roots in historian Carter G. Woodson's Negro History Week, which he designated in 1926 as the second week in February to mark the birthdays of Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln.

Woodson said he hoped the week could one day be eliminated — when black history would become fundamental to American history.

Freeman notes there is no "white history month," and says the only way to get rid of racism is to "stop talking about it."

The actor says he believes the labels "black" and "white" are an obstacle to beating racism.

"I am going to stop calling you a white man and I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man," Freeman says.

Freeman received Oscar nominations for his roles in 1987's "Street Smart," 1989's "Driving Miss Daisy" and 1994's "The Shawshank Redemption." He finally won earlier this year for "Million Dollar Baby."

Tom_Turner
2005-12-16, 12:11 AM
A wise man and great actor. I believce he won a Best Supporting Actor award for "Unforgiven" as well.

I think I liked him best in "Seven" though. That movie, amongst others, would not have worked without him.

How many has he narrated at this point? Does anyone know?

Seems like four so far.... Penguins, Shawshank, Million Dollar Baby, Seven...
Any others?

PhilDernerJr
2005-12-16, 06:45 AM
I've heard him say a lot of dumb **** i his day, but this actually sounds on target.

Alex T
2005-12-16, 10:19 AM
I've heard him say a lot of dumb **** i his day, but this actually sounds on target.

You read my mind phil, he is great in this, the more we divide things, the more we argue and have things to fight about.

we are each a person. It is true, we are white, and it is true some are black, and some are asian, etc etc. But we are all still people. Speaking as a white person i do not like the Idea of a history only devoted to Black, if that was the case we have just as many to devote a whole month to whites. Let's not have it anymore, and devote all year round to whites, and blacks as well as asian and hispanics too. Great guy he is, I enjoyed him in a movie I can't recall at the moment.

Alex

Matt Molnar
2005-12-16, 10:53 AM

I concur.

Tom_Turner
2005-12-17, 12:33 AM
I don't tend to follow what Hollywood actors have to say apart from their films so I am not surprised to have missed something here.

But I don't suppose too many of you do either... so it seems MF must have really put out some odd stuff...

Just out of curiosity, what are some of the dumb things Morgan Freeman has said?