PDA

View Full Version : A Plea of change from Deaf/Hearing-Impaired People like Me.

Alex T
2005-12-05, 08:45 PM
Theaters Agree to Help Blind, Deaf

By MICHAEL GORMLEY

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - Did you catch the new movie that everyone's talking about at school and at work?

If you're visually or hearing impaired, there's a good chance you couldn't. But that's slowly changing.

Nationwide, more than 150 movie theaters have added special systems to help the deaf, hard of hearing, blind or visually impaired, according to the nonprofit National Center for Accessible Media.

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story. ... tm&sc=1333 (http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story.jsp?floc=ne-main-5-l3&flok=FF-APO-1333&idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20051204%2F2117330896.htm&sc=1333)

Hey Folks- I ran across this article and knowing of you folks in New York and the Area, I was wondering if you guys had seen or heard of any changes in regards to text and captions in theaters? I am Hearing-Impaired as some of you know and I have not been to a movie theater since December 26th of 2000. It has been 5 years nearly. It is very hard to not take someone to a movie as a date, or go with a group of friends. The Monday at school or work everyone comes back and discuss the awesome movies they saw friday night. I cannot partake in this convos because I do not go to them. What this is basically trying to do is install or add captioning to theaters worldwide to enable deaf and hard of hearing people to go see movies and have text to read along. So they do not miss out on the Movies. I must wait until it comes out on DVD or tape. I long to go see a movie at a theater like everyone else, buy the expensive movie ticket and overprices soda and popcorn. I am trying to do my part here in Carbondale, Illinois in trying to raise awareness of texting and captions in theaters. If you gusy in NYC are approached and asked if you support this new feature, if you do, please say yes and support it, and that way everyone will be able to enjoy movies. The article explains it quite well, but if you have any other questions please let me know.
Alex

AC777LR
2005-12-08, 04:16 AM
I was at a theater in Toronto and if you wanted to see the captions they provided something that looked like sun glasses for deaf and Hearing Impaired folks to so that they could read the film. For anyone else they would not be able to see the text unless they had on these glasses. Good idea if I do say so my self.