PDA

View Full Version : Are you strapped?

mirrodie
2005-12-02, 11:03 AM
jsut wondering, I havent attached the strap to my camera yet as I felt it gets in the way.

Do any of you feel the same? Is your camera strapped or not? :)

jakbar
2005-12-02, 11:30 AM
Mario, after just spending so much money on your new camera, your first order of business should be to attach that strap! Without a strap, I would be too afraid of the camera falling out of my hand onto the floor. I don't find that it gets in the way at all.

NIKV69
2005-12-02, 11:35 AM
I do not use the strap. I feel it gets in the way and I hate things hanging around my neck. I need to be more careful but I don't mind.

mikephotos
2005-12-02, 12:23 PM
I'm strapped, both bodies and find it a necessary for my needs. There are many times when I need to shoot both slides and digital of an aircraft taxiing quickly infront of me and without the ability to have both bodies readily available hanging around my neck, I'd never be able to do it.

Mike

mirrodie
2005-12-02, 12:46 PM
I know, I know. I should attach it asap. And I probably will.

Heck, after fred last post, I will strap it and NEVERuse a card reader.

Fred, I'm just playing, but you sure know how to instill fear! I'm an now **** scared about a card reader!

Funny but I am more aware of things with this camera, like I have a big nose! I am considering that eyepiece extender, but I meant to ask, does it give a minified image through the viewfinder?

Also, I know I asked 2 of you on the phone, but what do you recommend shoooting in?

L, M , S? Raw?

jakbar
2005-12-02, 01:11 PM
RAW, but it adds a little more time to your post processing and the file sizes are much larger. But since I switched to RAW from JPG, I would never go back.

moose135
2005-12-02, 01:15 PM
Add me to the list of strap users. I don't always wear it around my neck, especially if I'm sitting in/on the car for spotting, but if it's not around my neck, I usually will loop the strap around my arm to keep it out of the way as well as for added security to avoid dropping the camera.

As to modes, I shoot large/fine. Haven't made the leap to Raw yet, still trying to get better at post-processing.

mikephotos
2005-12-02, 01:24 PM
What's JPG? ;) My vote goes for RAW.

Mike

jakbar
2005-12-02, 02:00 PM
Mike, I'm planning to get that D200, so soon I'll be a double-camera shooter like you. :) I agree that using the straps under such circumstances will be invaluable.

mirrodie
2005-12-02, 03:02 PM
Wow, all converts to RAW?! So I guess that means I have to download that other canon disk, the one in the black sleeve.

Its official, you've all scared me into strapping on the camera.

Also, when I was buying my CF card, I was under the impression there is
CF, CF2 and Ultra 2. Then my optican in the office recommended the Professional Sandisk. Never heard of that.

Then I learned about microdrive and the B+H guy didnt recommend it.

anyway, what is the pros/con to a micro drive?

mikephotos
2005-12-02, 03:25 PM
I would stay away from a Microdrive since the prices of flash cards have dropped so much these days. Microdrives are mechanical devices (small tiny harddrive) that I feel are more prone to damage. I've accidently washed one of my Sandisk UltraII cards left in a pocket of my jeans and after a week of drying was fine. I don't think a Microdrive would have survived that.

For fast speeds, I recommend the SanDisk Extreme III's (20MB p/sec) or SanDisk UltraII's (9/10MB p/sec). The Extreme III's and UltraII's are the Professional line of Sandisk cards. Lexar 80x's are good as well. If you want to save a few bucks, I hear the Kingston ElitePro's are a good buy. Amazon has a 2GB card going for $114.99 with free shipping.

Mike

mikephotos
2005-12-02, 03:27 PM
Mike, I'm planning to get that D200, so soon I'll be a double-camera shooter like you. :) I agree that using the straps under such circumstances will be invaluable.

Sounds good Josh! Looking forward to seeing your D200 results. I'm not on any pre-order lists so it'll probably be a few months before I get the D200. Let us know when that badboy is in your hands.

Mike

cancidas
2005-12-02, 04:57 PM
like nick i also don't have a strap on my cam. used to but since i'm the only one using the think i have faith that i'll take care of my investment.

currently i shoot ust jpeg. i have yet to learn how to convert RAW images.

Corey
2005-12-02, 11:12 PM
I also use the strap, but not around my neck. I usually wrap my right hand around it twice. That way it is still very secure but you don't have that restrictive feel of it being around your neck. But thats just me and I only shoot one camera.

Corey

mikephotos
2005-12-02, 11:29 PM
Corey, you should check out one of those hand/palm straps if they're available for your model. I used to have one for my Minolta 700si and loved it. If I was shooting only one body I'd go with that instead of the straps.

Mike

Derf
2005-12-03, 01:15 AM
STRAP, I use an OP/TECH USA Strap that makes the Camera and lens feel about 50% lighter!!!! I could walk around with my camera on my neck all day in COMPLETE COMFORT! You can also hit the two quick realeases for taking it off the camera for tripod shots and such. B&H has it for $30!
http://www.optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=23&PRODUCT_SUB_ID=&CATEGORY_ID=4

I can not live without mine!!!!

NIKV69
2005-12-03, 07:09 AM
"I could walk around with my camera on my neck all day"

You do that anyway! LOLOL

Derf
2005-12-03, 07:44 AM
My bad, your right :wink:

T-Bird76
2005-12-03, 11:17 AM
I use a strap as well. As for the strap Fred is talking about, he's 100% right, even with the 400mm on the camera feels light as a feather. Something I need to pick up.

PhilDernerJr
2005-12-03, 01:25 PM
Mario,

I use the strap as a wrist grip. I feed my hand in it at the right spot and then wrap around three times and it's a much easier way to hold the camera for me.

It forces the weight of the camera to be held by the arm, which feels much easier than it being held by the fingers.

http://nycaviation.com/pichost/strap1.jpg

mirrodie
2005-12-03, 04:28 PM
thanks Phil. I like it, allows it to be an extension of my arm.

ciao!

cancidas
2005-12-03, 05:38 PM
i tried wrapping it around my hand or wrist a few times and it just doesn't feel right. it's definately better than having it around my neck though.