PDA

View Full Version : Schumer Pauses Nominee Bashing To Whine About NYC Airports

Matt Molnar
2005-11-20, 02:19 PM
Schumer: NYC Airports Have The Most Delays

(AP) NEW YORK Senator Charles Schumer says travelers flying in and out of New York City airports for Thanksgiving are going to have long waits.

Schumer presented a study by his office -- using federal transportation statistics -- that said the three metro airports are among the worst in the country for getting travelers in and out on time.

From January through September of this year, LaGuardia Airport ranked 32 out of 33 major national airports with one-third of its flights delayed; Kennedy airport ranked 31st, and Newark is ranked last, with 34 percent of its flights delayed.

Schumer called on the federal government to install a new control tower at LaGuardia to handle increasing air traffic. He also called on the FAA to deploy new runway monitoring technology at the three airports and redesign the airspace over New York.

PhilDernerJr
2005-11-20, 02:30 PM
Schumer has said some dumb **** i his day about aviation, but I applaud him for at least paying attention to it.

Maybe a new LGA tower is a good idea, although I don't know what the issues are that are creating LGA's delays.

jakbar
2005-11-20, 03:37 PM
I don't know what the issues are that are creating LGA's delays.

Too many planes; not enough runways/taxiways; cramped airport; ****ty weather. Duh.

PhilDernerJr
2005-11-20, 04:03 PM
I'd debate some of that.

Or, rather, I think some of those problems cna be easily fixed and I don't see why they aren't doing so.

Especially weather. Just make rain illegal. God!

jakbar
2005-11-20, 04:23 PM
I'd debate some of that.

Or, rather, I think some of those problems cna be easily fixed and I don't see why they aren't doing so.

Especially weather. Just make rain illegal. God!

I disagree that the problems I set forth above can be "easily fixed". I don't see how they could build another runway at LGA, nor I do see how they could add more taxiways or alleviate the congestion at the gates, in the piers, on the taxiways, etc. Even in perfect weather you have delays. That shouldn't happen.

As far as JFK goes, one way they could alleviate problems is to use parallel approaches/departures like they do at SFO. They've certainly got the runways for it. For example, why not have arrivals on 22R/L, and departures on 31R/L (or whatever combination makes sense given wind direction)?

PhilDernerJr
2005-11-20, 04:27 PM
I think that creating incentive for the airlines to spread out their flights to less-busy times of day would help.

I also think that creating some sort of incentive for airline to use one bigger plane instead of 42,375 regional jets would also ease congestion. One 763 = Four ERJs.

Futterman
2005-11-20, 05:27 PM
Most reports of delays I've seen are with departures, not arrivals. I suppose this means that there's either a serious problem with the ground crews and efficiency within the actual terminals or just a few arrivals that throw the whole daily schedule out of whack. Or maybe it's both.

As far as JFK goes, one way they could alleviate problems is to use parallel approaches/departures like they do at SFO. They've certainly got the runways for it. For example, why not have arrivals on 22R/L, and departures on 31R/L (or whatever combination makes sense given wind direction)?

That just adds to congestion on the taxiways and does little, if anything to reduce the amount (or length) of delays. DL almost always uses 31L for arrivals because their terminal is right there -- same for jetBlue staying to the right. If you had dual approaches, sure, you may reduce air traffic by some insignificant amount, but you'd make up for it with more taxi time (and therefore fuel) and traffic on the ground...which is considerably smaller than the sky and NOT the place you want to have a million planes moving around. Determining actives is a balancing act between winds, coordinating with LGA, EWR, and whatever events are in the area (ie: US Open), construction, and abiding by the strict noise-abatement procedures (more or less why we don't see 31R departures).

I think that creating incentive for the airlines to spread out their flights to less-busy times of day would help.

This would be a kick-in-the-ass for their profits, since their departure/arrival times are tuned for convenience and profit. Any monetary incentive would endanger the already limited financial resources available for use by airports, and any major changes to the schedule are likely to discourage passengers from flying, resulting in dropped routes and fewer airlines (good for congestion, not so good in getting where you want to go).

I also think that creating some sort of incentive for airline to use one bigger plane instead of 42,375 regional jets would also ease congestion. One 763 = Four ERJs.

This is exactly what the A380/Hub and Spoke v. 787/Point to Point debate is all about.

Brian

cancidas
2005-11-20, 06:08 PM
and once again we have someone who think's they know everything talking smack to get noticed. schmuck shoudl keep his mouth closed when it comes to aviation as he know absolutely SQUAT!!

T-Bird76
2005-11-20, 06:58 PM
God knows why JFK has the problems they do, its the most under utilized airport out of the three.

jakbar
2005-11-20, 07:07 PM
A bit off topic, but I love your new avatar, Tommy! It's making me hungry just looking at it.

PhilDernerJr
2005-11-20, 07:07 PM
God knows why JFK has the problems they do, its the most under utilized airport out of the three.

Exactly. I forgot who it was that said it recently, but I recall "You could play a game of roller hockey on the runways in between planes at JFK."

Tom_Turner
2005-11-20, 07:11 PM
JFK isn't over-loaded during the morning..at least not yet. Theres been afternoon/evening crunch for almost 40 years.

LGA reached absolute saturation pre-9/11. Whatever Schumer has worked with the statistics - be they his own or someone else's..

And, well, EWR is now extremely busy. They built it up ...and the traffic came. And the parallel runways are too close together for maximum advantage.

The noise abatement issues won't go away I don't suppose for JFK, although jets are much quieter now and the airport pre-dates many residents.

Perhaps when the FAA redesigns the airspace some efficiencies will be found.

But yes, a rather shallow attempt for a headline I feel.

Futterman
2005-11-20, 07:45 PM
I forgot who it was that said it recently, but I recall "You could play a game of roller hockey on the runways in between planes at JFK."

You can call in sick, too. :)

cancidas
2005-11-20, 07:46 PM
the FAA just completed a major airspace redesign of the NE region a few yesrs ago. with the current traffic level it's as good as it's going to get. the problem is that the airports are not being utalized properly by carriers.

Tom_Turner
2005-11-21, 12:11 AM
the FAA just completed a major airspace redesign of the NE region a few yesrs ago. with the current traffic level it's as good as it's going to get. the problem is that the airports are not being utalized properly by carriers.

It has not been enacted though has it? I believe they're still looking at possibly changing all the approach patterns etc in our area..but of course it is only referenced in regard to nimby issues.

Art at ISP
2005-11-21, 09:07 AM
The new airspace plan was enacted a few years ago. It primarily affected NJ. If I recall correctly the arrival and departure corridors from EWR and LGA were moved around. While LGA arrivals used to come in over ARD, they now come over RBV from the south (KORRY 3 Arrival). Departures from LGA now go over SBJ instead of RBV. I am not as familiar with EWR procedures but believe the shifts to be similar.

JFK procedures were much less changed if I recall.

IslipWN
2005-11-21, 04:36 PM
Maybe they should utilize ISP a bit more and send some flights over there.

Art at ISP
2005-11-21, 04:51 PM
ISPWN,

With no disrespect intended, I am all in favor of expanding ISP as long as it is an airline OTHER than WN.