PDA

View Full Version : Professional Attire

cancidas
2005-11-15, 09:20 PM
i'm just going to rant about something that has been on my mind for a while. i got stuck helping out at an open-house for my job back in the spring and as i usually do when i'm no in uniform i wore slacks, long sleeve shirt and a tie. now, that's fairly common for guys. you'll usually see them wearing either a suit or just what i had on at professional functions or in the business world. now, women on the other hand tend to get away with a lot more and have many more options to them. one of my fellow supervisors showed up slacks and a sweater. now, i tried that once and ended up on the recieveing end of my boss's bitching about dress code etc...

i'm not really complaining, just venting. i surely don't envy women and te massive closets they maintain. must be hard. just thinking about more than 4 pairs of shoes gives me a headache...

anyone have any thoughts on this?

PhilDernerJr
2005-11-15, 10:02 PM
I've always been jealous of girls being allowed to wear hats in school when guys weren't.

Girls do have a lot more options, but I think that a shirt and tie combo is something that's still classic and can make almost any guy look good still. I don't think that much variety is needed. It's not so much about rules as it is about fashion options. What kind of men's clothing can be formal other than a shirt and tie?

Hyder
2005-11-15, 10:09 PM
although it'd be silly if there was no dress code, because of course there'd always be one dude who would take it too far. But i wish every day could be a casual friday. If everyone's looking proper, there should be no problem. i can't stand suits.

jakbar
2005-11-18, 10:18 PM
I find this whole issue particularly unfair when I have to go down to court in the summertime, because that means I have to wear a suit. Standing on that humid subway platform, and then walking from the subway station to the courthouse in the hot, humid summer weather, is a nightmare I do not wish upon anyone. On the other hand, girls can wear skirts and also what amounts to a tank top underneath their suit jacket. Even if I take my suit jacket off on the way to court, I still have a long sleeve shirt on with a tie. So while the females are able to cool off, I'm stuck sweating like crazy.

Thank goodness for the year-round business casual policy at our office. During the hot summer days, its nice to be able to wear a short-sleeved polo shirt.

cancidas
2005-11-19, 04:45 PM
i'm lucky in that since i wear the uniform i can wear shorts and a tee-shirt in the summer and insulated jumpsuit in the winter. i love it!!