PDA

View Full Version : Holidays 2005 Rant

Matt Molnar
2005-11-15, 07:22 PM
I know it has always gotten worse, but is it just me, or has the holiday retail season begun obscenely early this year?

* Stop and Shop began selling inflatable Santa snow globes in September
* Sears began selling decorations in mid-October
* The Union Square Park holiday tent shoppy things are constructed and ready for vendors
* Christmas lights/decorations on the light poles around Union Square and some other neighborhoods went up before Halloween
* Starbucks is fully decorated and stocked with their holiday stuff
* Taco Bell was playing continuous Christmas songs when I had lunch there today

I find it really depressing and annoying, especially with so much other negative stuff going on in the world.

cancidas
2005-11-15, 09:24 PM
my local eckerdx had xmas stuff on sale right after labor day... usually they wait till after thanksgiving but lately it seem sthat everything just starts sooner and sooner. you're right about one thing gotham, it certainly is depressing.

now, i usually get my xmas shopping done before thanksgiving, avoiding crowded amlls and stupid people.

PhilDernerJr
2005-11-15, 10:00 PM
Yeah, Yaas and I were at Macys last Friday and it was like it was Decemeber 15th or something.

Little overboard with the early celebration.

RDU-JFK
2005-11-16, 12:03 AM
Down here in North Carolina they've had a radio station that plays x-mas music nonstop...

yaas
2005-11-16, 12:47 AM
The party's on, the feelin's here that only comes this time of year

Matt Molnar
2005-11-16, 01:23 AM
Feliz Navidad on Nov 15th = not cool...though I was eating a chalupa at the time so I guess it was appropriate.

yaas
2005-11-16, 01:29 AM
I don't know about you, but nov. 15 is very festive at my house ;)

Hyder
2005-11-16, 10:11 AM
i think they may have started earlier with the christmas shennanigans this year because i think last year for the retail market sales were horrible. i guess some marketer said to push the whole holiday theme earlier and maybe you might generate a bigger rush.

they're probably working on inventing a new holiday anytime soon. Valentines day part deux or People who have all their teeth day.

Matt Molnar
2005-11-16, 11:21 AM
They're also competing against online retailers which are taking a bigger and bigger share of the market. The online holiday season ends a few days earlier since the stuff has to be shipped, so by necessity they start a little earlier.