PDA

View Full Version : Hi from a fellow NYC aviation enthusiast

Evan321
2005-11-14, 09:55 PM
Hi all,

I found out about this organization from airliners.net and I really like what I'm seeing! Very nice site! :D

My name is Evan, I'm 15 and I live on the Upper East Side (Manhattan). I've been an aviation enthusiast for about three years, and now I'm obsessed! From my roof (36th floor), I can get a really good view of LGA with some binoculars; sometimes I go spotting up there. I've only been spotting once, at La Guardia. I was at the infamous Plane View Park. My pictures really sucked so I'm embarrassed to show them. :oops:

Long story short, I'm in need of a spotting-worthy camera that won't set me back too much. By this I mean, I'd like to spend no more than $850 on a lens and camera. I guess you could say I'm a newbie when it comes to photography, I have no serious experience handling a fancy camera, so I don't need the best thing out there. I'm just looking for something that will be worth the money, and deliver very nice photos from LGA. So if anyone has any suggestions, shoot!

Kind Regards,
Evan

PhilDernerJr
2005-11-14, 10:08 PM
Hi Evan,

Always nice to meet a new local enthusiast. :) I'm very glad that you enjoy the site.

I would recommend spending a little less for your first camera geared towards aviation photography. Just to help get you accustomed to dealing with cameras, framing, post-processing and so forth. You can get a decent enough camera for under $500, and save the rest for when you are ready to go even higher (if you desire) for a more expensive camera when you are ready.

I really don't know much about non-DSLR cameras, but I'm sure some of the other guys here do and will offer their input.

If you have any other questions, please don't be shy to ask.

Welcome!

-Phil

Evan321
2005-11-16, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the welcome Phil. Anyone got any camera suggestions, my birthday is coming up real soon!

Derf
2005-11-16, 08:38 PM
I would get a Canon Rebel or XT and try get a cheap 300mm lens. I have Tamron and like it but Canon and Sigma make OK cheapo's too.
If you go for a Rebel, you will have to get one second hand or refurbished. It is well worth the money and you will never regret jumping into a SLR if you need a good zoom.

I had point and shoots and would recomend Oly C series with a 10X zoom.....but try for a cheap SLR!

K9DEP
2005-11-19, 02:22 PM
Wait, is this Evan321 from the fs2004 forums?

Evan321
2005-11-19, 03:21 PM
Wait, is this Evan321 from the fs2004 forums?

Yea. :lol:

K9DEP
2005-11-23, 05:15 PM
Well . . . . . . .WElcome you take some nice screenies! and I think your avatar on fs2004 is one of Phil's pics :D I was Tk002 I haven't posted there in a while because once you fly the real thing playing FS9 can't compare :P