PDA

View Full Version : ATA to leave DEN, IND, SJU

Alex T
2005-11-01, 03:54 PM
http://biz.yahoo.com/pz/051101/88957.html

Company to Maintain Its Headquarters in Indianapolis and Codeshare Options to Chicago-Midway

INDIANAPOLIS, Nov. 1, 2005 (PRIMEZONE) -- ATA Airlines, Inc. (Other OTC:ATAHQ.PK - News) announces that while its headquarters will remain in Indianapolis, the Company will be suspending its service to/from the city, effective Jan. 10, 2006. Codeshare service via Southwest Airlines to Chicago-Midway will continue, allowing Indianapolis customers to access ATA's network through its main hub in Chicago.

Here is what struck me as odd..

``In Denver, the intense competition created by carriers such as Ted, Frontier and now Southwest Airlines made it impossible for us to responsibly justify our continuing this service.

I thought SWA and ATA were working together??

Sad to hear ATA is leaving IND and all those services will be dropped.

T-Bird76
2005-11-01, 04:51 PM
They are working together that is precesily why DEN is being dropped. There is no reason TZ and WN need to compete in a market where Southwest can offer the customer a vaired choice of destination. I'm not sure if anyone remebers but Southwest did something similar in the past with Muse Air which they renamed Transtar. Southwest operated Transtar for a year before shutting it down. Very interesting to see what happens.

Ari707
2005-11-01, 06:34 PM
its funny that you won't be able to fly to your HQ on your own airline...

IslipWN
2005-11-01, 07:43 PM
its funny that you won't be able to fly to your HQ on your own airline...

i was thinking the same tihng.

Alex T
2005-11-01, 08:57 PM
They are working together that is precesily why DEN is being dropped. There is no reason TZ and WN need to compete in a market where Southwest can offer the customer a vaired choice of destination. I'm not sure if anyone remebers but Southwest did something similar in the past with Muse Air which they renamed Transtar. Southwest operated Transtar for a year before shutting it down. Very interesting to see what happens.

Tom- you are very right. Muse Air was re-named Transtar and operated DC-9's and MD80's. They were an airline much like SWA however charged fares 20% lower. August 10th, 1987 SWA shut down TranStar. in June 1985, SWA bought MuseAir to keep from CO to getting more gates at DAL.

Alex

Ari707
2005-11-02, 08:11 AM
I just read that article also.

T-Bird76
2005-11-02, 09:11 AM
ATA will still serve IND through charter and they have their MX base there. Also airlines like world and MaxJet don't have their HQ's in cities they serve.